some old corps photos

1974 Edmonton Strutters

1974Strutters.jpg

On a soccer field...awesome.

We don't need no yard lines!

... but we do have to have our laser-guided GPS mark synchronizers. Man that show when the satellite went down was the worst.

Actually I do (did) need yard lines. I needed them a lot.

A problem for me when I marched Ambassadors, a Canadian corps, was the business of having to march on drum corps marked fields, which were based on if not identical to, American football fields and also on Canadian football fields that are _110_ yards long so that the middle yard line is the 55 yard line. The key was to ignore the numbers on the sideline. The differences in the 'hash marks' due to the larger width of the Canadian football field however were a real problem. At big shows you could count on the 'proper' back sideline and hash marks being marked but at local shows you were on your own.

Field:

Canadian: 110 yards x 65 yards with 20 yard end zones

American: 100 yards x 53.5 yards with 10 yard end zones

http://www.bcpassport.com/spec.html

In keeping with our topic, here is a picture of the Cadets LaSalle, Ottawa, Ontario taken at the 1973 Canadian National Championships in the old Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) stadium in Toronto. If you look carefully on the lower left you can see the 55 yard line marked. This photo is hosted on their alumni website.

1973_unknown.jpg

Woo! A flag present! Somebody should put one those in their show just to see how people react these days.

Edited by ambassadorhorn

A problem for me when I marched Ambassadors, a Canadian corps, was the business of having to march on drum corps marked fields, which were based on if not identical to, American football fields and also on Canadian football fields that are _110_ yards long so that the middle yard line is the 55 yard line. The key was to ignore the numbers on the sideline.

Wish someone had bothered to tell my friend Beth this back in '78. We were marching halftime at an Argonauts game, and my friend had to lead a guard file down the 50. Unbeknownst to her (she and I are both United Statesians), the center--er, centre--of the field on Canadian football fields is the 55. There were two guard files that were meeting in the middle during "Spanish Dreams" to set up for the "x" drill move with the horn line. I was in the back file, which was led by a Canadian who knew about the existence of the 55; my friend Beth led the other file, and she didn't have a clue. (I never noticed the difference because rather than looking for yardline numbers, I stayed within the form relative to the people on either side of me and the yardlines, themselves.)

I'll never forget looking up the 50--well, actually, the 55--and seeing this snake of a file drifting from the 50 over to the 55, and then finally lining up on the 55 (I think somebody in the guard must've been yelling at Beth to move over a yardline). She was so mad that no one told her, and the staff members were all scratching their heads, saying, "We didn't even think of it, because this has never happened before." Well, duh, if you get more and more Americans marching, then it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Don't feel bad about the diff in football field dimensions. In 1971 at a contest on Orange, CA, the field was measured about 10 or 12 yards short. Nothing like looking down at the corps you'd instructed all winter long and finding out that your concert position was skewed to the left. My wonderfully smart Lynwood Diplomats DM Jim Good (72 Kingsmen DM and best DM at the first DCI) slickly had the corps do a left face and moved everybody over to correct field position. Since this was a "outdoor standstill" competition, no problem for set up and no penaltiy..

And it was our first-time full-corps M&M instructor Stanley Knaub who made the protest and made them re-measure the field.....he was correct, they were not.

RON HOUSLEY