some old corps photos

Cavies74.jpg

The Green Machine in 74. Average age in the corps was supposed to be 14 or 15, though they looked a lot older than I did when we lined up next to them in retreat. Chrome TDR's. Mmmmmmm.

Dang, I get cut out of another picture. I would have been the fourth tympani to the right. Yes, average age of the corps was quite low but probably a little higher than 14 or 15. I believe a lot of the guard and fair number of the hornline would have been pretty young. Drumline was probably not much different age range than most other corps of the time. A few younger guys on cymbals but most of the line in the 18-21 year range. This was my age-out year.

Hey Pete,

You're both right and wrong about the "age" of the corps that year. It was an odd mix of very young kids and a lot of age-outs. Many of us came back to march our last year, after the corps had missed finals in 1973 for the first time in about 20 years. So you had three snares who were 21, one who was 19, and two 14-year olds. Tenor line was two age-outs and a 14-year old. Tymp line was pretty old (all 20 or 21), bass line was almost all 14 and 15-year olds, like the cymbal line.

The same age gaps were in the guard and horn lines too. So, while the average age may have technically been around 17 or 18 - almost no one in the corps was 17 or 18! Kinda' weird.

P.S. I'm the snare directly behind the middle tymp in the picture - meaning I too am blocked out and can't be seen. Oh well, I know what I look like . . .

Ken Kobold only used 50-yardline mics that year, but the photo shows other microphones across the front of the field.  Anybody know who else was recording?

From what I remember, the 70s tv broadcast had their own sound feed, so I'd guess that's what you're seeing. In 79, the mono sound on the broadcast was actually as good or better than Ken's experiment with the two-mic set up (which he went to after getting all sorts of grief over the 78 recordings - why he thought it would be an improvement I never figured out...)

Edited by mobrien

OK, I think I've figured this out. Here's the 1987 Bluecoats (soloist Jeff Wilt, I think who previously marched Westshoremen).

322_t.jpg

1988 Bluecoats duet Steve Whiteclaw and Jay Wise

406_t.jpg[/img]