some old corps photos

Guard Capt. Linda Rieke's "Highland Fling" in the Vaugh Williams opener.

1971LindaRicke.jpg

Photos from the archives at xkingsmen.com

RON HOUSLEY

Ah, Folk Song Suite.....look at the 2 flags leg lift.....I can close my eyes and see it and dream it!!

Darla04.jpg

Squires 1974

Me on the left of the Nationals

Darla

So Darla...you must know the Leatherman family! I work with Judy (now Penrod) at the Orange County Fire Authority. She's the secretary--ohhhhh, dang, she'd kill me to say that--I mean, ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT to the Emergency Command Center where I'm stupidvising. Her sister Linda had a daughter who ended up a student of my wife's at Valencia HS back in the late 90's when my wife was the choir director there at the school. SMALL WORLD!!!!!

:P

1979 Allentown....27th Lancers

1979Allentown2.jpg

Let's burn this one. I don't care if it's the middle of winter and or the final show, these spins, spins only, should be togehter! GACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

#5 and the last 3 are clearly gacking....sorry....I had to say it!

Edited by LancerFi

Let's burn this one.  I don't care if it's the middle of winter and or the final show, these spins, spins only, should be togehter!  GACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :blink:

Sorry, Nancy, but I really believe this is the curse of still photography. It's extremely rare that you will get spinning objects stopped in identical positions. You may not like it, but this photograph is about as good as it gets.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had a videotape of this same performance at this exact moment, it would look flawless.

Let's burn this one.  I don't care if it's the middle of winter and or the final show, these spins, spins only, should be togehter!  GACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :blink:

Nope...can't burn that picture....it's mine! :sshh:

Sorry LancerFi if it made that moment in time look less perfect. Like Byline said, it is the curse of still photography........so just shoot me! B)

I think if you broke it down to the two biggest crowd-pleasing "essentials" of old school drum corps, it would have had something to do with that controlled leg lift and the massive wall of horns, drums and guard stretching in that front from the 30 to the 30 and sweeping from backfield to the front stripe like some sort of huge John Deere combine mowing down everything in its path.

....and color presentations.

Amazing when some of us can remember back to when it was innovative to crank the horns up from the parallel playing position to aim higher in the stands, huh?

Wonder who did THAT first?

RON

Edited by ffernbus3

Sorry, Nancy, but I really believe this is the curse of still photography. It's extremely rare that you will get spinning objects stopped in identical positions. You may not like it, but this photograph is about as good as it gets.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had a videotape of this same performance at this exact moment, it would look flawless.

I don't know. I've seen some pretty good stills of spinning, and revolutions in the air. But I guess they must be pretty rare.

We also did double time coming thru, I believe this is after that section because our left hand is on our hip.

I just want to scream!

:huh::blink: WAIT, isn't there a crying emoticon? I could have sworn.....oh well.

Edited by LancerFi

I don't know.  I've seen some pretty good stills of spinning, and revolutions in the air.  But I guess they must be pretty rare.

True, so have I. It's not that they don't exist; it's just very, very difficult to capture. If that photo had been snapped even a second earlier or later, you might have had those perfect positions.

I know how you feel about imperfection captured in photos. There's a photo of me that my dad took while we were rehearsing in Chattanooga right before the show, and I have my hand turned the wrong way. We had just made that change moments before, and I forgot. I realized as it happened that I had my hand the wrong way, but I was always trained to hit a position and not move, even if it was a mistake . . . so there I was. And my dad, of course, took a photo right at that very moment.

Yeah, where's that crying emoticon when you need it, eh?