some old corps photos

Hey Pete,

You're both right and wrong about the "age" of the corps that year.  It was an odd mix of very young kids and a lot of age-outs.  Many of us came back to march our last year, after the corps had missed finals in 1973 for the first time in about 20 years.  So you had three snares who were 21, one who was 19, and two 14-year olds.  Tenor line was two age-outs and a 14-year old.  Tymp line was pretty old (all 20 or 21), bass line was almost all 14 and 15-year olds, like the cymbal line. 

The same age gaps were in the guard and horn lines too.  So, while the average age may have technically been around 17 or 18 - almost no one in the corps was 17 or 18!  Kinda' weird.

P.S.  I'm the snare directly behind the middle tymp in the picture - meaning I too am blocked out and can't be seen.  Oh well, I know what I look like . . .

I bow to your superior memory sir. Hey, I guess we both look pretty hot in this picture huh?

Not that it makes it any better Nancy but the gun had already sounded by then and it was all about GE not execution at that point. B)

Sorry, Nancy, but I really believe this is the curse of still photography. It's extremely rare that you will get spinning objects stopped in identical positions. You may not like it, but this photograph is about as good as it gets.

I'd be willing to bet that if you had a videotape of this same performance at this exact moment, it would look flawless.

Not that it makes it any better Nancy but the gun had already sounded by then and it was all about GE not execution at that point. B)

I'm not Nancy, but I can see her answer coming a mile away: It's always about execution! :)

Shame on you Russ....trying to tell a 2-7 rifle it was not about execution. I thought some judges used to say that execution generates it's own GE. b**bs

The whole point of still photogrpahy with things in motion is to use a very fast aperature to break down "motion" into hundreds of split-second frames. 27th rifles would use "evidence" like those photos to point out "lapses in memory" among themselves. Gosh help any corps member that said anything negative.........

Nothing was worse to a Lancer rifle, flag, or sabre, than a photo with their weapons not aligned - PERFECTLY !!!!! Not unlike any great drumline photo showing their hands, sticks and mallets.

Edited by LancerLegend

99529710.jpg

Speaking of capturing rifles in motion, I was pretty impressed with this picture I took of Spirit's rifle line praticing in 1978. The instructor on the side is Margaret (Magi) Ott, wife of Jim Ott and an ex-rifle from the Stockton Commodores. She taught and wrote the rifle book in '78 and '79.

99529710.jpg

Speaking of capturing rifles in motion, I was pretty impressed with this picture I took of Spirit's rifle line praticing in 1978.  The instructor on the side is Margaret (Magi) Ott, wife of Jim Ott and an ex-rifle from the Stockton Commodores.  She taught and wrote the rifle book in '78 and '79.

What, how come they're not lined up perfectly in the air?

LOL, just kiddin', that's a great photo! And I didn't realize Jim Ott's wife was the one who taught that rifle line those years. I especially enjoy the '79 book, because that's when they really seemed to develop their own distinctive style, which they carried on into '80.

Darla04.jpg

Squires 1974

Me on the left of the Nationals

Darla

Oh my gawd, they are all so small....I miss that about drum corps, there were always corps that had children, I mean little children that just enjoyed the activity. They are so precious. If any of you tell that I was getting all mushy.... :blink:

Ryan I remember Linda. And yes it is a small world. You probably work or have worked with one of my brothers. He is a Fire Captain at Anaheim Broadway station. (Don) Andy Ball. He did fire invstigations for a while too.

Mike, when I marched I think our average age was about 12. Since our DM was only 9 himself.

Darla05.jpg

Darla

Mike, when I marched I think our average age was about 12.  Since our DM was only 9 himself.

Darla05.jpg

Darla

See that's what I mean. The very first corps I ever marched with, the very first drum line was when I was like 5 or so. The guy who taught us ended up marching with SCV played tenor and than tri's. But I remember the very first parade I marched, I was wearing a wooden drum, tenor(single tenor), that had been painted white. I made it rhough the entire thing, until we got to the area where Santa was and I was so entranced with the idea that I was marching for Santa, I did an endo right over the top of my drum. I landed on my back with the drum on my face. Now that's drum corps! The corps ended up folding, I even forget their name, so I ended up in the stands for a while after that.

Edited by Tansea