some old corps photos

The woman on the far right (Debbie?) came to Revere High School Field House in the winter of 76 - to watch and critique the rifle line.

She also interviewed each of us in the bathroom as to why we wanted to be a 2-7 rifle, and what it was like to be a 2-7 rifle in the case where people had already marched as such.

I also remember this one SCV rifle in the early to maybe mid 70s that was maybe 5" if that, she may have been of Latin decent, and was just 7 feet tall when marching.  I always wondered about her until we in the winter of 78 had to pull Carol Abohatab over from the flag line because she didn't believe she was good enough to make the line.....in both cases, height mattered not!!  We almost broke her arms and I think she was actually crying....she was young at that time and I believe she marched 5 or 6 years in 2-7.

Carol has had an illustrious career having taught guards such as SCV & Emerald Marquis movement and dance with much success.  What a talent!  I'm not sure if she's been back to SCV since 2000.

I believe you are talking about Lisa A. She was awesome and came from a devoted SCV family.

LancerFi - That was Debbie Leason in that SCV picture. When I was hanging out with Vanguard in 72 she and Stan Knaub were going out, later to marry for a while.

What I remember was how superior a rifle duet that Stan and Deb were. Since he and I lived in the same house Debbie was over a lot and they worked out amazing routines. I remember having the good fortune to have made a small contribution to one of their routines by finding a particular rhythm pattern for them to "play" after hearing it "emerge" in a pattern, you know, one of those "Dude, wait! Do that again....now do it twice!....now find a way to make this sound! Now do all three together.....cool, eh?"

Those were some good times, but I wonder if the landlord was ever curious about all the dents in the living room ceiling from Deb and Stan's indoor rifle and pike work.

I'm grinning just to think back on it.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

LancerFi - That was Debbie Leason in that SCV picture.  When I was hanging out with Vanguard in 72 she and Stan Knaub were going out, later to marry for a while.

What I remember was how superior a rifle duet that Stan and Deb were.  Since he and I lived in the same house Debbie was over a lot and they worked out amazing routines.  I remember having the good fortune to have made a small contribution to one of their routines by finding a particular rhythm pattern for them to "play" after hearing it "emerge" in a pattern, you know, one of those "Dude, wait! Do that again....now do it twice!....now find a way to make this sound! Now do all three together.....cool, eh?"

Those were some good times, but I wonder if the landlord was ever curious about all the dents in the living room ceiling from Deb and Stan's indoor rifle and pike work.

I'm grinning just to think back on it.

RON HOUSLEY

I remember those days....so much for the deposit.

Hi everyone,

I've spent the past 2 days reading this thread, from pg 1 to pg 353. I want to say Thank you to everyone who has contributed. This thread, in my opinion, is a piece of drum corps history.

I'd also like to offer a special Thank You to Malibu. It may have taken until pg 294 until there was a pic with me in it, but thanks to her, theres 2!

81AllentownCrossmen8.jpg

I'm the center contra on the right hand side as you look at the pic. Allentown '81 was one of the last performances that I did with Crossmen. While I was still with the corps, I was not on the field for 2nd tour, so the 2 Allentown '81 pics that Malibu posted are very important to me.

Anyways, I only found DCP a short time ago. I do have some pics that I'll try to find and post here. Most are 1979 Black Watch but I have a couple Crossmen from San Antonio.

Again, thank you all for this thread. It's brought back quite a few memories.

Edited by ContraBuddy

Hi everyone,

I've spent the past 2 days reading this thread, from pg 1 to pg 353. I want to say Thank you to everyone who has contributed. This thread, in my opinion, is a piece of drum corps history.

I'd also like to offer a special Thank You to Malibu. It may have taken until pg 294 until there was a pic with me in it, but thanks to her, theres 2!

To me, this sums up what this thread is all about! ^OO^

The woman on the far right (Debbie?) came to Revere High School Field House in the winter of 76 - to watch and critique the rifle line.......

Did Debbie become Debbie Knaub - Stanley's ex? When she arrive in Revere, she had heard of me - from my "hairy man" contest with Bubba while on tour in 1976.

Did someone mention the Hairy Man Contest? These pics are from the last documented Hairy Man Contest in 2002 Madison.

Contestants Bubba Ward (SCV alumni corps) and an unnamed member of Atlanta CorpsVets square off in the stare down.

21172690.jpg

Contestants admire each other's pelts.

21172861.jpg

OH oh, I believe we have a winner!

21172880.jpg

And the winner by a few thousand hairs is Bubba Ward! Undefeated since 1972.

The back gets them everytime. B)

21172897.jpg

Edited by Russellrks

Did someone mention the Hairy Man Contest?  These pics are from the last documented Hairy Man Contest in 2002 Madison. Contestants Bubba Ward (SCV alumni corps) and an unnamed member of Atlanta CorpsVets square off in the stare down.......And the winner by a few thousand hairs is Bubba Ward!  Undefeated since 1992......The back gets them everytime.

Here's a memory to last a lifetime from 1976.

SCV and 27th were standing side by side - lined up after a show waiting for the now infamous retreat. While the corps were frozen at attention, the drum majors were exchanging "bragging rights" at each other. Finally, from within SCV's hornline comes a boast, "we've got the hairiest guy in the world." 27th's dm Gerry Boyle comes over to me, and we looked at each other. Without a moment's hesitation, Boyle smiles at me and throw's down the gauntlet by yelling back - "we'll see about that, right after this show."

I need to preface this. Earlier in the day, 27th had been reminded about uniform etiquette. Namely - you were either "in" uniform, or you were "out" of uniform. Absolutely nothing in between. No one is allowed to walk around in public half dressed. It was repeated several times until every last one of us understood.

Back to the show, the scores were announced for the show, but the attention was on the hairest man contest. Tension was building. As both corps left the field, we assembled in the middle of the street under a street light. Both corps circled Bubba and me. Bubba quickly lifts his tunic over his head - I'm slowly unbuttoning my shirt. The corps are cheering us on, everyone screaming and laughing. Behind the corps stands close friends Gayle Royer (with is cup of "coffee") and George Bonfiglio watching us. All I can think of is George B's speech earlier in the day - either you are "in" or "out" of uniform - as I stand there in my kilt and t-shirt. Then the unveiling of our bare chests - the corps were screaming laughing. Bubba grabs a handful of my chest hair and rips it out (that still hurts....) and I grab a handful of his. We raise each others arms in true friendship and the corps were having a blast.

Three years later - Birmingham 1979 (I aged out in 1977) - SCV marches by in single file and someone yells to me "its the hair man."

Every year I see SCV - I always ask if Bubba is around. I have been told he's been a truck or bus driver so many times - and that he is always "right here somewhere." I have never seen him since 1977. If anyone (Trish???) sees him, please tell him I extend my very best, and hopefully one of these days we'll reconnect.

And yes - our backs look similar. b**bs

Jim