some old corps photos

Russell:

Does it matter? A good time was had by all!

Nice story but..... Who won?

My money's on Bubba!!!!!! Bubba Bubba... :rock:

Nice story but..... Who won?

From an engineering stand point and comparing mass, I am 6'-2, and 40" waist, Bubba is shorter and has a ??? waist. Considering we both have hundreds of hairs per sq inch (below our heads.....), so, which of us has more surface area ?

If Trish remembers this night, I'd call it a draw. I know Bubba and SCV never claimed to have the hairiest guy in drum corps ever again.

From an engineering stand point and comparing mass, I am 6'-2, and 40" waist, Bubba is shorter and has a  ??? waist. Considering we both have hundreds of hairs per sq inch (below our heads.....), so, which of us has more surface area ?

If Trish remembers this night, I'd call it a draw. I know Bubba and SCV never claimed to have the hairiest guy in drum corps ever again.

I take it you didn't have the 2-7 shaved on your body prior to that contest? That may have been the difference between winning, losing or a draw.

I'd also like to offer a special Thank You to Malibu. It may have taken until pg 294 until there was a pic with me in it, but thanks to her, theres 2!

81AllentownCrossmen8.jpg

I'm the center contra on the right hand side as you look at the pic. Allentown '81 was one of the last performances that I did with Crossmen. While I was still with the corps, I was not on the field for 2nd tour, so the 2 Allentown '81 pics that Malibu posted are very important to me.

Anyways, I only found DCP a short time ago. I do have some pics that I'll try to find and post here. Most are 1979 Black Watch but I have a couple Crossmen from San Antonio.

Again, thank you all for this thread. It's brought back quite a few memories.

I would love to see those San Antonio pictures! I wasn't aware a contra didn't march after Allentown......I guess we in the guard were having our own drama. The girl next to me (Deb) got really sick and passed out as we exited the field for prelims. We had an extra member who started learning her drill the next day.

I do have many more pictures of Allentown as well as others from that year. I bet you are in some of the other ones I have. B)

From an engineering stand point and comparing mass, I am 6'-2, and 40" waist, Bubba is shorter and has a  ??? waist. Considering we both have hundreds of hairs per sq inch (below our heads.....), so, which of us has more surface area ?

Surface area alone would not be as big a factor as would be the ratio of hair density to visible skin imho.

I missed your particular match with Bubba by one year so I would have to say that barring any photographic evidence of this match or eyewitnesses coming forth, that a rematch could and should be arranged to settle things once and for all.

Edited by Russellrks

I LOVE THIS THREAD!

That is an AWESOME pic of the Kingsmen rifle line !!!!!! Then again, they were ALWAYS awesome.

The SCV chicks are (l-r)

Kathy Quaglia

Chris Lodigianni (sp?) -- who later became Chris Morrow and now

has a son in the A-corps

Lois Hershberger

Debbie Leeson (who I paid $10/hr to teach me to spin when I was 15)

and I think the backs of the heads are Wally Schnally and Tom Brown

We Renegades were lucky to have Carol A (we called her Carol I-bought-a-hat -- it works if you say it really fast) as our movement and weapons expert in 2003. She is a fantastic instructor -- no lie! (I cannot fathom Carol ever crying :rock: she packs a wollop in that 5' frame)

I would love to see those San Antonio pictures! I wasn't aware a contra didn't march after Allentown......I guess we in the guard were having our own drama. The girl next to me (Deb) got really sick and passed out as we exited the field for prelims. We had an extra member who started learning her drill the next day.

I do have many more pictures of Allentown as well as others from that year. I bet you are in some of the other ones I have.  B)

Hi Malibu,

"I would love to see those San Antonio pictures!"

I'll try to start posting my pics this coming weekend, but I can't promise on it. My house burned down in Jan. '00, so I don't have too many pics left, and what I do have is in a plastic storage contaner out in my shed. It'll take me a bit to dig them out, but when I do, they'll go up here. But it might only be 1 or 2 left from San Antonio.

"I wasn't aware a contra didn't march after Allentown......I guess we in the guard were having our own drama."

Drama is the right word for it, with a bit of soap opera stupidity thrown in. (not the guard stuff, but what happened with me).

So, here's the whole, pathetic, sordid tale:

Ithica, NY (7/25/81), the last show on 1st tour, was actually actually my last time performing. Due to some problems at home (my uncle had a stroke), I missed the Aug. 1 & 2 camp. In that short time I was replaced, and by (I was told) the gilrfriend of one of the other contras. So, even tho I'd busted my butt along with everyone else on 1st tour, I was never even given the chance to fight to get my spot back. Adding insult to injury, she was given my hat, neckerchief, gauntlets, sashes and cape, so I couldn't even stand in the endzone in uniform while the corps performed.

Well, after a week or so of marching around behind my spot, I finally just gave up and didn't bother going out to practice one day. Jeez, did I get yelled at for that! But by that point, I really didn't care anymore. That set me up for my 'Final Fall'.

Since I couldn't even stand in the endzone at a show, I pretty much got to just wander around and do nothing. Well, in Whitewater, I came across some guy selling souvies out of his car in the parking lot. He had some neat stuff, and not too expensive, so I bought 2 Bridgemen jackets. Not uniform jackets, 1 was an embroidered black corduroy winter-weight and the other was a light-weight yellow with the Bridgemen B on the front and the Bridgemen logo on the back. (I'll remember those 2 jackets as long as I live) Please keep in mind that I was a kid. Naive, I lost my spot in the corps, feeling completely alone... I wasn't exactly using much common sense around that time. You can guess where those jackets & 'souvies' came from, and you'd be right. It would take another few days before I found out.

At Lansdale, we were sharing housing with Devils. One of their contras had a white satin jacket with the BD logo embroidered on the back. I traded him the heavy Bridgemen jacket for his BD jacket.

While we were at the show in Boston, Robby found out that that a BD contra player was caught with a stolen Bmen jacket that he said he got from a Crossmen contra player. Well, there was only one contra player who had the time, and a reason to screw over the corps (I was told that I was paying the corps back for cutting me out of my spot). Also, remember that alot of stuff was being stolen in the corps that year, one of the bari players even had money stolen out of his bible!

Well, I had traded a stolen jacket to the BD guy and I had another one in my stuff, so here's the thief! I was blamed for everything that had gone missing for the whole season! Robby and the staff (and a few corps members who were close enough to hear what was going on) were so ######-off that I couldn't get a single word in in my own defense. I was kicked out of the corps on the spot. While I was getting my stuff off the bus (Thumper), under supervision, of course, one of our drummers came by and pounded on me for a little bit. (Cymbal player who had sliced his arm open on a broken cymbal.)

At some point Bmen marched past me, their drumline chanting, "Dum, de dum, de dum, YOU DIE!"

Really great spot to be in. Wrongly accused; kicked out of the corps; pounded on; left in Boston to find my own way home and hunted by a bunch of ######-off Bmen.

Well, I hid in the woods across from the stadium for a couple hours, then started walking, altho I had no idea where the bus station was. After a few miles, a cop picked me up, and after hearing my made up story, he drove me the 10 or so miles to the bus station. I was actually a couple of bucks short for the bus ticket home, but they let me go anyways. I did have a small laugh when my bus passed Crossmen's busses broken down on the side of the highway. But, that was really small consolation.

So, that's my story, and a bit of corps history that has never been told in full until now.

I suppose that I should have ended up hating the corps after that, but surprisingly, I never did.

I don't know what, if any, good it will do after 24 years, but it still feels good to have finally told what really happened.

That's why Allentown and any '81 first tour pics mean so much to me. They are the only good memories that I have from being in Crossmen.

Edited by ContraBuddy