Favorite Marches

Thanks, Andy.

I don't recall ever seeing the Brigs in NJ so I'm not familiar with their repertoire over the years. My loss. Thanks, Really

I do remember that someone played Phantom Regiment in the very early 60s before PR DC existed.

PR existed from the mid-50s until a fire put them out of commission after the 1964 season. They returned by 1970.

Their Phantomettes guard was an early powerhouse in the MWCGC.

And in the early 60s they indeed played their signature march, on Holton bugles inherited from Chicago's Commonwealth Edison senior corps.

Edited by HornsUp

Thanks for the update, friends. Vanished Army it was.

I do remember that someone played Phantom Regiment in the very early 60s before PR DC existed. It wasn't SAC, maybe Kevin's? Not sure.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, Sac played "Phantom Regiment " in 67-68. Is that what you're thinking of?

...I think El came close in the name...

"El Capitan?" Boston, St. Vinnie's and host of others played that one. You could hear it almost continuously from the mid 50s thru the late 60s.

Regards,

Fred O.

Hornsup,

I don't remember PR coming east in the 50s or being on the Fleetwoods that were sold in retail stores so I was unaware of their earlier history.

Thanks for the lesson.

As I mentioned in an earlier reply, Sac played "Phantom Regiment " in 67-68. Is that what you're thinking of?

"El Capitan?" Boston, St. Vinnie's and host of others played that one. You could hear it almost continuously from the mid 50s thru the late 60s.

Regards,

Fred O.

I think he means "El Cid", BSGK '69

Friends

El was a shortcut referring to our fellow correspondent Elpa. etc and her excellent memory about the subject. But I find some handles to be beyond memorization, so I used a short form. I am aware of El Capitan and El Cid. Didn't know how far back El Capitan went back into Corps history, but I did hear Vinnies do it and I have an old Fleetwood of it that is either melted, warped or eaten by the dogs. For all I know Freylinghuysen did it in the thrties

SAC's version of El Cid theme was very good, IMO. Cabs 1980 version not so, but they did some stuff from the score in earlier years - 1963 - that was well done.I don't know who else used the music.

Miklos Rosza's music served Drum Corps well. the early 60s Cadets did a King of Kings fanfare and SAC did a Ben Hur fanfare.

I would like to hear more fanfares, and I don't care where in the shows they occur. After all, most are written for brass ensemble.

Cadets used one in 1996 as the opening to Oil City.

Should a Topic be started?

I'm not sure how to do it, and the question wouldn't be simple: What experience do you have with fanfares in Drum Corps, what do you think of them, should there be more, how do you effectively integrate them into a show?

Kevin

Z,

That's why we need you. Lots of memory power out there, but never enough. What did you think about the lists of marches that were generated?

Kevin

El was a shortcut referring to our fellow correspondent Elpa.

Thanks, I think I get it now. Were you referring to DCP regular Elphaba01?

In any case, El Cid, El Capitan, El Relicario, El'ks Parade (:rolleyes: sorry, had to do it) - all great stuff.

regards,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5