Favorite Marches

I don't think Bridgemen ever played Barnum and Bailey's. Are you thinking of "Thunder and Blazes" from 1980?

Regards,

Fred O.

Ballyhoo March by the 65 Royal Airs

I don't think Bridgemen ever played Barnum and Bailey's. Are you thinking of "Thunder and Blazes" from 1980?

Regards,

Fred O.

Ballyhoo March by the 65 Royal Airs

Probably the very BEST execution of Barnum and Bailey's Favorite March was done by the Argonne Rebels. Sandy Opie had quite a talented horn line to work with back then, and on 'G' bugles, no less. Haven't heard ANY horn line top it yet. IMHO

Ray

Well, it's kind of a cross between John Phillip Sousa and Benny Goodman, but I've always liked the South Rampart Street Parade.

Gotta love marches. Sometimes when I'm driving I put on a CD "Fielder's Favorite Marches" with the Boston Pops. It may be a bit corny, but I love it. My favorites on that recording are "Up the Street" by Robert Morse and Beethoven's "Turkish March." It also has the best arrangement of "Stars and Stripes Forever", a piece that the Boston Pops end just about every concert with and it never gets old. As far as drum corps arrangements, I loved Crossmen's "March Slav" in 1977. However, a few days ago I was watching the 1974 Legacy DVD with Anaheim Kingsmen doing March to the Scaffold from "Symphony Fantastique." The rifle line marches rather majestically. More elaborate routines would come later from Phantom or 27th, but it's typical of the time and it's fun to watch. Also, they got good sound from the instruments of the time.

Edited by Tim K

I kinda liked "Joyce's 71st" my freshman year of high school...if only because I didn't have the t-bone part (long descending chromatic run)

"Crosley's" soph year

"Eagle Squadron" Jr. year (fun, but I wasn't to good at the tonguing phrases)

"Bravura" Sr year

"Marches":

How about:

"Grand March from Aida": Chicago Cavaliers, late 1950s.

"National Emblem March": Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Audubon Bon Bons, late 1950s through the 1960s. The Blessed Sacrament Alumni corps performs it even now.

"Americans We": Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 1962 & 1963

"Voice of the Guns": St Kevins Emerald Knights, 1962-1964.

"On the Mall March": St Raphales Buccaneers, 1966 & 1967.

"Semper Paratus": Bridgeport PAL Cadets 1962-1966

"King Cotten March": Garfield Cadets 1964 & 1965.

"El Capitan": Boston Crusaders (Forever), Madison Scouts 1962 & 1963.

"Thunder & Blazes": St Andrew Bridgemen 1980 & 1981.

"Hands Accross the Sea": Racine Kilties 1962-1965

I'm sure that there are many many more. These just happen to come to mind.

Elphaba

Elphaba, with a list like that, you certainly can't leave out 1960 Chicago Cavaliers March of the Toys from Babes In Toyland.

Time to pull out those old Fleetwoods!

Does "Elks Parade" count? :tongue: