Favorite Marches

Is it a "march" when you doff your shako, and do zero drill ???

Now, now Kenny ... watch the 72 Sky videos and tell me that's a zero drill ... and, we even kept our shakos on (well ... except for Winky) ...

:-)

ps - Elk's nickname is The Moose's March ... LOL ...

Edited by ajlisko

Elphaba, with a list like that, you certainly can't leave out 1960 Chicago Cavaliers March of the Toys from Babes In Toyland.

Time to pull out those old Fleetwoods!

"Pulling Out The Olde Fleetwoods":

"French Marching Song": 1961 & 1962 Chicago Cavaliers (Part of their "Desert Song" OTL Medley)

"French National Defile": 1961, 1962 & 1963 Garfield Cadets

"Patton Theme": 1972 Hawthorne Caballeros

"Longest Day Theme": 1972 New York Skyliners

"Phantom Regiment": 1961 & 1962 St Kevins Emerald Knights, 1962 Phantom Regiment, and 1972 Yankee Rebels.

"Flying Machine": 1966 Chicago Royal Airs & USAF Academy Corps

"West Point March": 1972 St Ritas Brassmen

"America I Love You": 1960 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

"Of Thee I Sing (Baby)": 1966 New York Kingsmen & 1968 Chicago Royal Airs

"Great Race March": 1966 Milsdadt Crusaders & 1968 27th Lancers

"Under The Double Eagle": 1965 Blessed Sacrament & 1965 St Patricks Cadets, 1964 &65 Connecticut Hurricanes

"Chimes of Freedom": 1966 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights

"Columbia the Gem of the Ocean": 1965 St Kevins Emerald Knights

"Marche Grandioso": 1962 Yankee Rebels

"Ten Commandments": 1962 Connecticut Hurricanes & 1969 & 70 Chicago Cavaliers

"Procession of the Nobles": 1969 & 1970 Santa Clara Vanguard

"Johnny Come Marching Home": 1968, 69 & 70 Casper Troopers 1969, 70 & 71 Yankee Rebels

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Gotta love marches. Sometimes when I’m driving I put on a CD “Fielder’s Favorite Marches” with the Boston Pops. It may be a bit corny, but I love it. My favorites on that recording are “Up the Street” by Robert Morse and Beethoven’s “Turkish March.” It also has the best arrangement of “Stars and Stripes Forever”, a piece that the Boston Pops end just about every concert with and it never gets old. As far as drum corps arrangements, I loved Crossmen’s “March Slav” in 1977. However, a few days ago I was watching the 1974 Legacy DVD with Anaheim Kingsmen doing March to the Scaffold from “Symphony Fantastique.” The rifle line marches rather majestically. More elaborate routines would come later from Phantom or 27th, but it’s typical of the time and it’s fun to watch. Also, the got good sound from the instruments of the time.

Love the Berlioz. It was the King's Regiment's opener in 77. They were a merger of the Wayne Monarchs and Greenwood Lake Lakers. I was their percussion arranger and one of the percussion instructors.

The 1976 Wayne Monarchs, a GSC corps I taught and arranged percussion for, opened with a neat concert march by Vaclav Nelhybel, "High Plains". 1972 Cadets opened with Clifton Williams' "The Sinfonians" concert march...I played 3rd baritone.

When I graduated from Malden Catholic High School (1976), our graduation song was Crown Imperial March :thumbup:

I particularly like the 1975 version :smile:

• Like 2

1971 Blue Rock opened with "American Salute".

... and your very own Garfield Cadets introduced American Salute in 1963 ...

... the CT Yankees hung their hat on The Colonel Bogey March during the 50's and early 60's ... always a fan favorite at the Barnum Festival (which they used to host) ...

:-)

"Procession of the Nobles": 1969 & 1970 Santa Clara Vanguard"

Add 1980 to this...

And if "Processions" are fair game, better include Elsa...

Elpha and Andy captured a lot of what I was thinking about, but I thought of a few more. Unfortunately Fleetwood did not list reportoires, so I don't know the name of some of these.

Early 60's SAC - Lost Army (name?) - their off the line,

Late 50s St, Vinnies - El Capitan

63 SAC - Mutiny on the Bounty (may not be a march, but was played as one)

63 Garfield - March of the Olympians (the music ABC uses is not official Olympic music. It comes from an early 60s album called Charge which was played by an ensemble of percussion and trumpets and bass trumpets).

63 or 64 St. Lucy's did a cool march off the line, but I have no idea about the name or origin.

The 64 St. Kevin's OTL already mentioned was from Lawrence of Arabia.

Cavies did a Hindemith March in 94,

Two of three movements in Ralph Vaughn Williams Folk Song Suite are titled Marches - 79-80 27th and probably others.

76 PR 1st Movement, Mahler's 7th.

Holst wrote Marches. I would think some have been performed by DC, it's just not popping into mind

A lot more stuff out there and some of it is arguable - Glassmen's Kodaly, BK Trittico. Garfield Holsinger in places, but this has been thought provoking.

Keith, you said you didn't like marches, but there are so many differerent styles like the Sousa/Karl King variety, the Movie music, Symphonic and Concert Band compositions, that I am betting there is plenty out there that you do like.

One last thought for this thread, DC is least successful with the Sousa/King material because the basses are often anemic on the feature 16th note runs - even Madison. Tough with one valve, maybe better with three, but tonguing comes into play (does it not horn players?).

Kevin