Why match?

JazzBari

Sorry...... and please don't take this as me being a stickler. But, why is Santa Clara Vanguard's drummers playing matched? Is it to be different, is it because it's easy or harder. You can tell that I'm a horn player........ but I really just wanted to know, I've just got back from being away and I have a lot to catch up with.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing since they're doing a throwback show, they want to make sure everything is very traditional....hence, matched grip.

I remember reading somewhere that their caption head wanted to "unify" the sound and motion between the tenors and the snares. Only thing I can actually see being unified is during their percussion features when they have the 1 tenor, 2 snares, 1 tenor, etc. etc., which makes things look more leveled.

Someone correct this if it's wrong.

Edited by Carl306

Because a symmetrical grip (which matched grip is) is organically the most natural way to play. (If you don't believe that, I suggest you try walking down the street with only your left leg turned in so you hit the ground with the side of your left foot, all while making a big Monty-Python-esque "silly walk" with that leg.) I like the look of traditional as much as the next guy, but it is not the most efficient way to use your muscles to play.

SCV played matched from 78-83, and there were HIGHLY kick*ss lines coming from them during that period. The legendary 'Stone Ground Seven' came from this period ... you don't hear anyone belittling it because of some pointless complaint like "oh, but they weren't playing traditional".

I don't expect 05 to be any different for SCV re. musicianship, quality and intricacy. I'm confident that they are going matched not because they wanna be different, but because there are real advantages to it.

Mike in OH

I'm guessing since they're doing a throwback show, they want to make sure everything is very traditional....hence, matched grip.

Uh...actually, if they wanted to be "traditional", they would use "traditional grip". That's kind of a no-brainer there buddy. :)

Not sure what you mean by "throwback show", but I can guarantee that the arrangements will be very modern and original. They aren't going to hand the corps the books from 1974 or 1987. lol

I think he meant throwback to the 70's/80's, in the level drum era, when a lot of snare lines played matched because that's how the kids had learned (in high school or anywhere else), and there was no sense teaching them a new grip.

I think he meant throwback to the 70's/80's, in the level drum era, when a lot of snare lines played matched...

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

"The level drum era", are you referring to a snare drum head that is level to the field? Isn't that what all corps (except for Santa Clara) are playing on now?

Yes.

We all know that the traditional grip evolved from having the drum on a sling, which caused it to be at an angle.

Once harnesses came into use (don't really know when... I'd say late 60's, early 70's, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the drum was then flat, there was no longer a need to hold the left stick differently than the right.

This "matched" grip is a lot more natural. If someone asked you to pick up a stick or a branch, you wouldn't pick it up from the bottom with your palm up, and rest it on your ring finger while controlling it with your thumb and index.

The point is, drum corps saw no need to waste time teaching the kids an unnatural grip when there was no logical need for it. This is why if you look at the 80's Legacy DVDs, you'll see a lot of lines playing matched. I think even a bunch of the championship lines played matched.

I don't really know why, but traditional grip made a comeback in the 90's, and now everybody uses it. Maybe it's because it's sexier. It's interesting to look at these trends, and maybe in 10 years we'll see all lines playing matched.

Yes.

We all know that the traditional grip evolved from having the drum on a sling, which caused it to be at an angle. 

Once harnesses came into use (don't really know when... I'd say late 60's, early 70's, someone correct me if I'm wrong), the drum was then flat, there was no longer a need to hold the left stick differently than the right.

This "matched" grip is a lot more natural.  If someone asked you to pick up a stick or a branch, you wouldn't pick it up from the bottom with your palm up, and rest it on your ring finger while controlling it with your thumb and index.

The point is, drum corps saw no need to waste time teaching the kids an unnatural grip when there was no logical need for it.  This is why if you look at the 80's Legacy DVDs, you'll see a lot of lines playing matched.  I think even a bunch of the championship lines played matched.

I don't really know why, but traditional grip made a comeback in the 90's, and now everybody uses it.  Maybe it's because it's sexier.  It's interesting to look at these trends, and maybe in 10 years we'll see all lines playing matched.

Actually most lines where playing traditional in the 80's it was the seventies when most corps switched from matched to traditional.