Why match?

JazzBari

I'm a horn player but I've heard that using matched grip there are 11 muscles controling the stick but with traditional there are only 4 in the left hand. Hence, with matched grip it is easier for the percussionist to control the stick in the left hand. Can someone confirm/deny/correct this.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so they switched.

it isnt the end of the world.

really, as long as they look uniform and sound great who cares?

try 30 instead of 70 auditionees...

I heard that last year, in 2004, they had 300 sign-up for the camps. Where did you get 70 from?

And the 30 (?!) that showed-up this year show a lot more forward thinking than most kids their age. And they'll be rewarded for it by being a part of a top notch drumline in 2005!

I feel bad for the kids that wouldn't try-out simply because Vanguard was playing matched grip this season. If I was a drummer, the corps I'd really shoot for would be Cadets, Vanguard, or Cavaliers. Those three corps have been battling for top drum honors for decades!

Yeah, that's what I heard.  But they still had enough talent turn-out to fill the line.  So they may have had 100 snare drummers audition instead of 300, it's no big deal.

SCV's drum staff can take kids of average talent and turn them into some of the best drummers ever to set foot on a football field, so I'm not really concerned with the lower than enormous turn-out.

SCV's drumline does not just "fill spots." If there is not anyone of decent quality to play in the drumline, they won't stick someone in there that will hold the line back. Just look at last year, snare player quite/injured before move-in and instead they added someone to the guard... however, they did replace a tenor player. Regardless of the turnout, they are not going to put together a large line just for the sake of filling spots.

I heard that last year, in 2004, they had 300 sign-up for the camps.  Where did you get 70 from?

And the 30 (?!) that showed-up this year show a lot more forward thinking than most kids their age.  And they'll be rewarded for it by being a part of a top notch drumline in 2005!

I feel bad for the kids that wouldn't try-out simply because Vanguard was playing matched grip this season.  If I was a drummer, the corps I'd really shoot for would be Cadets, Vanguard, or Cavaliers.  Those three corps have been battling for top drum honors for decades!

Cavaliers? :blink: IMO they really don't drum nearly as well as the other top lines, way too much dirt and not enough sound quality, ........ ....... great pit though

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Re: racks....I've seen lines TILT their drum on the rack to make playing trad a little more efficient....

as a former tom player I think matched looks great...nothing like that look that SCV had in the late 70's when I first saw them with the matched grip snare line...great look!!!

No one could compare to their level!

Edited by Jaminbenb

Cavaliers?  :blink: IMO they really don't drum nearly  as well as the other top lines, way too much dirt and not enough sound quality, ........ ....... great pit though

In 1989, Vanguard got 1st in drums, Cavaliers were 2nd, Cadets were 3rd. Phantom Regiment was 5th, and that's basically what cost them the championship.