Who got 1st place robbed from them

Don't, not to sound cocky Felix, but we were on cruise control in '77.  :P

Yeah Rich, that was my original thought, but the more and more I look at both performances, which I obviously saw live as well, I am starting to see both sides...not taking away from your opinion at all by the way

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Rich, that was my original thought, but the more and more I look at both performances, which I obviously saw live as well, I am starting to see both sides...not taking away from your opinion at all by the way

I hear you, '77 PR is one of my all-time favorites, I can still remember walking onto the field at finals as Phantom performed their drum solo..........seeing the lights from Mile High shining off PR's helmets, the crowd going absolutely bonkers, and then the "Beetoven" flags going up in their finale causing the crowd to go berserk.

There is no question PR had the "fan-favorite" show, but in all actuality, it was us (Blue Devils) that out-executed everyone all year.

That's right Gellio...that's what it's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL about...

Jeepers...  <**>

I agree that Gellio could've said that better. And you and others are right; winning isn't all it's about.

But I'm wondering if the point Gellio was trying to make is that we can argue ad nauseam about who shoulda won, and all the ways we think this corps, or that corps, got ripped off by DCI, politics, a rogue judge, whatever. I have a few opinions on that subject, too. But as time goes by, I'm more and more reluctant to wade into this debate because in the end, it doesn't change anything. The champions are still champions. And, in having this discussion, don't we run the risk of degrading these corps and their achievements?

I can see both sides of it.

I hear you, '77 PR is one of my all-time favorites, I can still remember walking onto the field at finals as Phantom performed their drum solo..........seeing the lights from Mile High shining off PR's helmets, the crowd going absolutely bonkers, and then the "Beetoven" flags going up in their finale causing the crowd to go berserk.

There is no question PR had the "fan-favorite" show, but in all actuality, it was us (Blue Devils) that out-executed everyone all year.

Fair enough,...However, I need to take a closer look at both shows before I make a final decision (IMO)...Not a cause for celebration yet Rocketman..LOL!...by the way Rich, Pep Manning who drives a truck for BD came up to BD the same time I did in the Fall of 78 as a Baritone....he recently rebuked me for wearing a Santa Clara shirt at a show in Covina, CA a few years back....I told him that they were one of my favorites, and to remember that he originally marched with the Kingsmen...I will always have pride in having marched with BD!

Fair enough,...However, I need to take a closer look at both shows before I make a final decision (IMO)...Not a cause for celebration yet Rocketman..LOL!...by the way Rich, Pep Manning who drives a truck for BD came up to BD the same time I did in the Fall of 78 as a Baritone....he recently rebuked me for wearing a Santa Clara shirt at a show in Covina, CA a few years back....I told him that they were one of my favorites, and to remember that he originally marched with the Kingsmen...I will always have pride in having marched with BD!

Yea, I saw Pep in Orlando in 2003, he was driving the staff bus, cool dude for sure.

Yea, I saw Pep in Orlando in 2003, he was driving the staff bus, cool dude for sure.

We used to commute together to Kingsmen rehearsal back in the day...the guy really has not changed all that much...have a great time at the Regal show...Dublin should rock.....I really miss the bay area!

We used to commute together to Kingsmen rehearsal back in the day...the guy really has not changed all that much...have a great time at the Regal show...Dublin should rock.....I really miss the bay area!

cool, you do the same....enjoy. However, I don't miss the Bay Area, lol. 42 years was enough for me, started to feel like a sardine in a can.

Actually Lancerlegend WAS a judge! b**bs So I think he knows what he's talking about! :)

Hold on folks. Don't y'all know the old expression - if you can't teach music, then you teach visual, and if you can't teach anything, you become a judge? And it's when you judge that people tell you how much you DON"T know !!!!!

Luckily - I did teach first, and judged while teaching, continued to judge in NC, then more in Maine, and then went back to teaching a high school band here in Maine. Now if I start playing my clarinet again - I'll have come full circle.

Hey BD Legend - that Mike Moxley guy - wow - his family was blessed with winning genes. His baby bro Tim took home a few trophies as DM of SCV.