Omaha Railmen

Gotta agree....the talent pool in the Omaha, Millard, Bellview, Papillion (edit: AND La Vista) and Lincoln area alone is enough to field a decent sized Div. II.

I'm all for it.  And if anyone ever does decide to start one up again...i'll be right there volunteering and doing whatever I can

PS: Was there a new Papillion HS built?  I only recall one when I marched at GI

yup, papillion-la vista south

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He also marched 92-93 Railmen

Also Keith Dudek former Caption Head and instructor, Jim Heisinger Front Ensemble instructor. Bill Truelove who I think taught around the Kearny area was our sop soloist in 91 he marched from 83-91. Jon and Steve Hermach should still be aroud that area but I don't know if they are teaching. Jim Gamarill worked with Bellview for awhile.

Keith Dudek is the drumline instructor at Papillion-Lavista now, and Jim Gameral is the drumline instructor at Westside

My old roommate and current great friend and colleague Dave Weinberg was the drill designer for the Railmen for either one or two seasons.

And I'd like to add the fact that a corps out of Nebraska or Kansas would DEFINITELY be doable. I have judged visual for the Blue Springs Marching Band show down in Blue Springs the past 3 years, and the upper class bands (especially Blue Springs) have some VERY strong programs and DCI ties. I'm sure with the right approach getting the Railmen or Sky Ryders back up and running would work (actually--Sky has never NOT been running--I think they keep a winter guard and drumline active, right???).

Still wish we hadn't changed the uni's in 91. I liked the old look better.

I always loved your unis in 89-90. They were great as is but also had potential to be easily changeable if the lapel was folded down (which it never was).

I gotta tell ya, though, it was hard sticking around through the transition away from Union Pacific sponsorship.  A lot of kids jumped ship, and it was almost a miracle that we came onto the field for '89.

Do you remember the stay at the ice skating rink in Michigan, '89? I don't remember what city. They had been having record highs. We all get in town and suddenly it was record lows! Brrr. 13.gif

We stayed together somewhere else too, but I can't remember where. Other than the unis, what I remember most about ya'll was your metronome. You had to have quite a bit of volume to overpower that metronome. We were 1.5 field widths away and, at 17 brass & 3 pit couldn't manage it. Our M&M finally gave up and ran the parts of our show that matched YOUR tempo.

I have judged visual for the Blue Springs Marching Band show down in Blue Springs the past 3 years, and the upper class bands (especially Blue Springs) have some VERY strong programs and DCI ties. 

Serious?! I would've been judged by you for possibly both years.

What did you think of Blue Valley? b**bs

But seriously, the talent here is so underrated and CUT OFF from the rest of the world. :sshh:

Not wanting to drift this thread Doug--but Blue Valley is a VERY good program! I assume then they never played my tape for you kids??? DANG IT!!!!

Not wanting to drift this thread Doug--but Blue Valley is a VERY good program!  I assume then they never played my tape for you kids???  DANG IT!!!!

*Shrugs* If they did, it would be waaaay back to my sophomore year. I be a college freshman now. B)

And yes, Blue Valley is a great program. I feel privaledged to be a part of it. Did you know the director, Martin Dunlap, recently retired? He literally took that program out of nothing. Man I respect him.

And don't feel bad if the thread drifts...I started it anyways ^0^

"Back in the day" when I marched in Crossmen, the drumline wore yellow Railmen t-shirts under their uniforms. I think this was 1990 (or 91). I'll have to see if I can find a photo for you- there might be one in our yearbook....

I went to college in PA and ended up transferring to UNO. There were still some Railmen members around campus then (as well as Madison members, & Sky Ryder alumni). I kept my Crossmen jacket in my car for those random summer downpours, and every time I did, someone would stop me to talk about it.

Anyway, there used to be a decent sized group of dc people in Omaha in the early 90's. It's too bad the Railmen couldn't hang on after losing the UP sponsorship- there are more than enough talented kids in the Omaha/KC area to field a corps. I think the biggest hurdle would be getting the communities to rally behind something OTHER than Husker football.........

Steping on to the field in Dallas for D II prelims and getting poured on by a massive rain shower at 8 in the morning.

Man was that great or what? I too chuckle everytime I look at our pics from that morning :)

Good to hear Dudek is still around, he was a great guy. What about Ron (Yea Man!) anyone know whats up with him?

Or beaubur beaubur Bobo? I ran into him at a HS show the next year.

I was thrilled to find this forum, haven't been able to find much on Railmen on the net. Does anyone have any videos of our 91 show. My roommate in college recorded over my copy :blink:

-Ty

My old roommate and current great friend and colleague Dave Weinberg was the drill designer for the Railmen for either one or two seasons.

And I'd like to add the fact that a corps out of Nebraska or Kansas would DEFINITELY be doable.  I have judged visual for the Blue Springs Marching Band show down in Blue Springs the past 3 years, and the upper class bands (especially Blue Springs) have some VERY strong programs and DCI ties.  I'm sure with the right approach getting the Railmen or Sky Ryders back up and running would work (actually--Sky has never NOT been running--I think they keep a winter guard and drumline active, right???).

WHy not just build a corps out of the bras programs in the area? With teh Bb rule in 2000, that's certainly doable....it's kinda what the Bb rule was inte4nded to do anyway. Esperanza wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for that ruling...and isn't there a high school going on before Dream at SoCal shows this year that did the same thing???