Magic switches to Ludwig?!?!?

WRiddell83

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone Southwind has also switch to Ludwig drums and Musser pit equipment.  Everyone is going to be suprised by how good they sound...everyone needs to just wait

And lest See how good they sound come August.. I think some of the old Problems were they sounded Great for about a month.. then they went to Crap...

At least that what I remeber from the corps that used themm in the mid 90's (Boston....)

Hey everyone Southwind has also switch to Ludwig drums and Musser pit equipment.  Everyone is going to be suprised by how good they sound...everyone needs to just wait

...you have my condolences !

They will either have the strongest backs and shoulders or the worst by the end of the summer.  Ludwigs are HEAVY!!!

We are very pleased with our new instruments. When it comes to what I am playing on, I am the toughest critic. I will say, these drums are not anything like what I have known Ludwig to be from the past, they have under gone several changes over the past few years, and they are continuing to work out things with our drums to make them better (just like every other company on the market.) The weights have changed dramatically, as well as the projection of the instruments themselves. We have a plum colored drum with a silver flake, which looks great under the lights. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the summer plays out for us and our new equipment.

word.

Romo

Magic Caption Head

I was very impressed with the new Ludwig equipment we used this past weekend at MAGIC. I was the percussion captionhead and staff member for the Empire Statesmen for several years where we used Ludwig instuments. Those instuments were very heavy as many of you may know and really not as durable(lug casings popping on the quads etc.)The new equipment is NOT heavy. They have a new design for the quads and it doesn't look like the lug casings will be an issue(while still keeping the weight down).The snare drum may be the lightest on the market.

As Romo said we are looking to tweak very minor things but what company isn't. We look forward to our relationship with Musser/Ludwig and the rest of the season.

Teddy Mascari

MAGIC percussion

FYI - Both these statements were quoted from the drumhard.com forum.

We are very pleased with our new instruments. When it comes to what I am playing on, I am the toughest critic. I will say, these drums are not anything like what I have known Ludwig to be from the past, they have under gone several changes over the past few years, and they are continuing to work out things with our drums to make them better (just like every other company on the market.) The weights have changed dramatically, as well as the projection of the instruments themselves. We have a plum colored drum with a silver flake, which looks great under the lights. I look forward to seeing how the rest of the summer plays out for us and our new equipment.

word.

Romo

Magic Caption Head

I was very impressed with the new Ludwig equipment we used this past weekend at MAGIC. I was the percussion captionhead and staff member for the Empire Statesmen for several years where we used Ludwig instuments. Those instuments were very heavy as many of you may know and really not as durable(lug casings popping on the quads etc.)The new equipment is NOT heavy. They have a new design for the quads and it doesn't look like the lug casings will be an issue(while still keeping the weight down).The snare drum may be the lightest on the market.

As Romo said we are looking to tweak very minor things but what company isn't. We look forward to our relationship with Musser/Ludwig and the rest of the season.

Teddy Mascari

MAGIC percussion

FYI - Both these statements were quoted from the drumhard.com forum.

Have you ever heard so much BS...give those boys a Scooby snack !

Have you ever heard so much BS...give those boys a Scooby snack !

Why is it BS?

I know Teddy from my days at Statesmen. He speaks his mind, positively or negatively. I also remember the Ludwig drums Statesmen used up until 2002 and they were junk, reminding me of the Remos Glassmen used in the 90s when I marched there. If Teddy says that these Ludwigs are good then I'm more than inclined to trust his opinion.

Hey if I was working with a corps that needed some instruments and could get a decent corporate partnership deal, I'd do it, too.  They're drums for cryin' out loud...not NASCARs

Yeah but what was wrong with the Pearls that they had before? :music: I know that when that other instructor went there, they just had gotten them, surely they weren't worn out or anything!?

I think you're missing the point. They are going for the total package with King, Ludwig and Conn-Selmer.

Anyways, who said drums need to be in bad shape to get new ones or switch. Not everybody drives a car to the ground. Some people like the leasing option.

As you can see from my resume below, I am familiar with all the Organizations and staff members involved. I can vouche for the honesty and credibility of these individuals. No BS served here.

Edited by dpdc77

Here is my Hands-on experience with Marching Drum Companies:

Drum Corps

'85 - Premier (New)

'86 - Ludwig (Old)

'87 - Remo (Snares replaced with Stingray midseason. Bass Drums had metal hoops...UGH!)

'88 - Yamaha (New)

'89 - Yamaha (Same)

'90 - Yamaha (Same)

'91 - Pearl (New)

'92 - Pearl (Same)

'93 - Premier (Old)

'94 - Premier (Used Crossmen's from '90-'93)

'95 - Premier (Same)

'96 - Premier (Same)

'97 - Ludwig (Old)

High School Marching Band

'84-'85 - Ludwig (Old)

'85-'86 - Ludwig (Same)

'86-'87 - Stingray (New)

'87-'88 - Stingray (Same)

My order of preference:

1. Pearl (The Standard)

2. Premier (Pretty darn close)

tie. Yamaha (hard to decide)

4. Ludwig (Nice...but heavy)

5. Stingray (Not bad..really)

6. Dynasty (Hate their sound!)

7. Remo (How did G-men put up with these?)