Magic switches to Ludwig?!?!?

WRiddell83

7. Remo (How did G-men put up with these?)

Simple: FREE DRUMS! b**bs

The basses weren't bad, though, from a sound standpoint. Can't comment on weight/balance as I'm a brass player.

The snares were CRAP. I think it actually helped when we used Mylar heads in '95 because, even with those great Kevlar heads Remo puts out, they just didn't sound good on the Legato snares.

Of course, in '92, it didn't matter what heads we put on the drums. Drum line placed 17th at semifinals and the only reason they didn't place 18th was because there were only 17 corps in semis. :P

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're missing the point. They are going for the total package with King, Ludwig and Conn-Selmer.

Anyways, who said drums need to be in bad shape to get new ones or switch. Not everybody drives a car to the ground. Some people like the leasing option.

As you can see from my reume below, I am familiar with all the Organizations and staff members involved. I can vouche for the honesty and credibility of these individuals. No BS served here.

No, I'm not missing the point. I "volunteered" last year and decided not to go back because of reasons I won't discuss in a public forum. However, I have an idea of what happened but I'm just curious if any one would answer with a legitimate response.

I don't see what the "total" package has to do with King, Ludwig and Conn-Selmer. Where did you get that idea from? I can understand getting new horns, they needed those...saw the condition of last years. I just questioned the drums cause I don't see the point. They were a nice set of Pearls.

I know some others who were there who aren't anymore that left for the same reasons as I did. Y'all sure do get testy when someone asks a question. I am not going to say what I want to...just Good luck to Magic.

http://www.magicoforlando.org/pressrelease/032205.htm

EDIT: I suppose this makes sense. All of their instruments are under the same roof, so to speak. King hornline, Ludwig battery, Musser pit. Hopefully it will lead to some quality equipment from Ludwig again.

That is what I meant by the total package. Conn-Selmer is the distribution company for King and Ludwig-Musser. It's mostly a logistics benefit I'm sure.

I hope that is the legitmate response you're looking for.

I'm not testy. I guess this is the downside of posting. Everyone has their own interpretation. If we were talking in person, I would be speaking in a normal tone in a polite manner. I apologize if you thought I've been testy. I just like to have a discussion and try to support myself with facts and not emotions (mostly....nobody's perfect).

I guess what I'm trying to say since I'm relatively new to this board. I don't intend to anger anyone. In person I am calm and softspoken. Please try to picture that when reading my posts and replies.

Anyways, back to the main topic

I have no history with The Magic before Summer '04. My take is that, they are rebuilding and making good "business" decisions this time around with new management("04- Present). nuff said.

P.S. I hope wasn't too all over the place. ha ha

I hope this works out for them, and I hope they are really taking care of business.

No problem, no harm-no foul. Good luck to Magic.

DrumnMan2004 and LancerLady,

Thank you for your interest in The Magic Percussion section. Our new management has done a wonderful job this year to help set The Magic up for a successful summer. All the way from the wonderful volunteers we have had at each camp (I have to give it up to our cooks, we eat pretty phat) to the decisions made by the board for instrumentation needs. Seeing as how neither of you are a part of the organization, and were not there to see what equipment we did or did not have, and what kind of shape it were in, I can see how you could easily try to come to your own conclusions.

I don't remember anyone else in the room at the last camp tuning drums with Teddy and I until 3am, fresh out of the box, so I am assuming that DrumnMan2004 you have your own set from the new era Ludwigs that you could enlighten us about.

If you have any further questions regarding our instrumentation, please feel free to email me, pm me, or stop by the arc to see things up close and personal.

Chris Romanowski

Magic Percussion Caption Head

DrumnMan2004 and LancerLady,

Thank you for your interest in The Magic Percussion section.  Our new management has done a wonderful job this year to help set The Magic up for a successful summer.  All the way from the wonderful volunteers we have had at each camp (I have to give it up to our cooks, we eat pretty phat) to the decisions made by the board for instrumentation needs.  Seeing as how neither of you are a part of the organization, and were not there to see what equipment we did or did not have, and what kind of shape it were in, I can see how you could easily try to come to your own conclusions.

I don't remember anyone else in the room at the last camp tuning drums with Teddy and I until 3am, fresh out of the box, so I am assuming that DrumnMan2004 you have your own set from the new era Ludwigs that you could enlighten us about.

If you have any further questions regarding our instrumentation, please feel free to email me, pm me, or stop by the arc to see things up close and personal.

Chris Romanowski

Magic Percussion Caption Head

Actually Chris, I was there last year and do know what shape the instruments were in, as my husband and I helped y'all put together the Bingo Hall. We also helped cook last year, contributed money and did other things for the corps and know a little bit more then you think I do know about what happened, but am trying to refrain from posting about it on a forum board. I know that the drums were only two years old and if they were in "bad shape" or whatever the claim is, I personally feel that is unacceptable. People need to take better care of their equipment.

But thanks for the invite. Like I said...good luck.

Edited by Lancerlady

Ludwig drums need a lot of work before I would recommend them, (snare drum ) the snare mechinism is easily damage --plastic parts-- ( bass drum ) the bass drum claws are weak and a new design is need as well as the bass drum rims- low quailty, split at the seam at high tenion and the tension casting need to be aluminum alloy and use larger bolts to hold it on the bass. (Quads) the cut of the drum is wrong new shape is needed the bearing edge is wrong shape as well, the tenion casting are weak and need to be aluminum alloy and use larger bolts to hold it on the shell and the rim are too thin and too short plus they are easliy bent, the tenion rod are too thin, 6mm tension rods are needed and with two washers not one. The carrier back bar is too heavy. Ludwig will never change all this, they are saleman not marching drum designers. Making the drum a pretty color and adding a new carrier is not enough. Very little change from Ludwig. Magic will be glad when they go back to Pearl, Yamaha or Preimer. I wish Ludwig Drums would change and make made in America mean something again. They are way behind in marching drum designes.

Didn't Troopers use Ludwig's for their drumline back in '94-'95?

I remember them warming up as Glassmen headed to their warm-up site and the sound actually made me think that our Remo Legatos sounded good.  :music:

Stingray

if anyone knows Ludwig, it's Teddy. and if Teddy vouches for them, that's enough for me