1975 North Tonowanda Open

Well, after bidding for every publication from 1975 on Ebay, I have finally found scores for that show. Now, I know most of you on this site weren't even born in 1975 but, for those that were marching back then, I would really like to get a recording of the show if your parents snuck in a tape recorder. Oh, that's right, it hadn't been outlawed yet.

Thanks,

Rocketman - 75 or bust

ampssuck though

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from North Tonawanda!!!!!

Recordings? Hmmmm...a guy by the name of Tom Wein from Lockport, NY I believe recorded that show and may still have it somewhere. He marched mellophone with us.

What were the scores? Please...do you have Open and A scores? What about 1976?

Thanks

I was a 6 year drum corps veteran by 1975. A young stud back then...hmmm I still am now!!!!

I did have a recording of Cavaliers, Regimente Militaire, Toronto Optimists and Squires but I lost it in the 70's.

The 1974 NT Open featured Blue Devils, Regimente Militaire, Argonne Rebels, Cavaliers, Charioteers, Floridians, Squires, etc.

I know that 1976 was won by Marquis but don't remember who else was there.

Originally Santa Clara was supposed to be in the 1974 show but pulled out for some reason.

I thought it was a good show. The stadium was good and the field was well taken care of by the school district. I remember they thought the drum corps show did more damage to the field then the high school football team and the semi-pro team. We laughed!

I remember seeing a picture of the judges and Vince Monacelli was one of the judges.

Did Tom Peashey judge that show? I don't remember.

I'm from North Tonawanda!!!!!

Recordings?  Hmmmm...a guy by the name of Tom Wein from Lockport, NY I believe recorded that show and may still have it somewhere.  He marched mellophone with us.

What were the scores?  Please...do you have Open and A scores?  What about 1976?

Thanks

Keith:

How would one find this Mr. Tom Wein from Lockport, NY? The scores I have are from "A":

1. 67.45 Flying Dutchmen

2. 57.85 St. Johns Girls

3. 55.30 Alpine Girls

4. 54.05 Imperial Regiment

5. 53.65 Caballeros (Ohio)

6. 48.90 Sharpsburg Cadets (kickin butt and takin names)

7. 48.60 Opti-Knights

8. 46.55 American Patrol

9. 28.85 Blue Sabres

Of course, this was before we changed the ENTIRE drill to make the show "BETTER" for TWO shows (AIO and US Open). Guess the first 5 shows meant NOTHING. Didn't do us much good as we scored in the low to mid 30's. Yeah, we were "better"!

Rocketman - drill me this

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

That's odd - my records show the following:

July 13, 1975 - North Tonawanda, NY

Flying Dutchmen, ONT 67.45

St. John's Girls, ONT 57.85

Alpine Girls, NY 55.3

Imperial Regiment, NY 54.05

Caballeros, OH 53.65

Silver Sabres, PA 48.9

Opti-Knights, ONT 48.6

American Patrol, NY 46.55

Sabre Cadets, PA 46.55

I'm perplexed at your scores showing "Sharpsburg Cadets" and "Blue Sabres". Didn't those two corps combine forces prior to the start of the 1975 season?

Does anyone out there have the scores from the 1974 NT Open? I believe that was the year we (Derry Patriots) competed. From what my memory serves me, I recall there was no distinction between open and class A corps in prelims. The Derry Patriots were scoring around the high 30's or low 40's. During prelims we were sandwiched inbetween Argonne Rebels and the Chicago Cavaliers! Scores went something like Argonne 79, Derry 39, Cavaliers 80! ( If these were not close to the real scores, this is actually how it felt!) What a horrible place to be! It made you realize how good the open corps were. Was a fantastic trip though, I was 18 years old and experienced the best North Tonawanda had to offer! Lipsprain, remember that one?

Why is the score of the Royal Coachmen omitted? We were there because we sponsored it.

I remember competing against the Derry Patriots then too.

Blue Sabres were from NY and Sharpsburg were from PA so I know there was no merger.

Blue Sabres had the famous SLEDGE from Roch. Crusaders and ES fame.

Why is the score of the Royal Coachmen omitted?  We were there because we sponsored it.

I remember competing against the Derry Patriots then too.

Blue Sabres were from NY and Sharpsburg were from PA so I know there was no merger.

Blue Sabres had the famous SLEDGE from Roch. Crusaders and ES fame.

Keith:

BINGO! Indeed it was the infamous Sharpsburg Cadets representing PA at this show. I have to assume the Coachmen didn't compete (that wasn't uncommon then). I am looking at a DCW Newsletter that has the scores in it.

Rocketman - old timer

ampssuck