1975 North Tonowanda Open

I know we did compete at every NT Open except 1977 and on.

The heart of the NT Open Commission was John Hathaway and once he resigned as Royal Coachmen Director he left the NT Open. Sadly, that was the downfallof drum corps in Western New York as the Royal Coachmen died, later, so did the Imperial Regiment and then the Frontiersmen. Yes there were smaller parade corps but they too died.

I will never forget seeing Argonne, Blue Devils, San Jose Raiders, Freelancers, Seattle Imperials, Black Watch, Precisionaires, Charioteers, Toronto Optimists, Floridians, Colt .45 (now Colts), Marksmen, and many others

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone out there have the scores from the 1974 NT Open?  I believe that was the year we (Derry Patriots) competed.  From what my memory serves me, I recall there was no distinction between open and class A corps in prelims.  The Derry Patriots were scoring around the high 30's or low 40's.  During prelims we were sandwiched inbetween Argonne Rebels and the Chicago Cavaliers!  Scores went something like Argonne 79, Derry 39, Cavaliers 80!  ( If these were not close to the real scores, this is actually how it felt!)  What a horrible place to be!  It made you realize how good the open corps were.  Was a fantastic trip though, I was 18 years old and experienced the best North Tonawanda had to offer!  Lipsprain, remember that one?

Do I! Like driving down the highway doing 80 in a Volkswagon between two semis.....tho I am not 100% sure it was Tonawanda.

If I recall, it didn't bother us at all - we planned to kick someone's ###, and didn't care who they were. We were too young and stoopid to know better!

And guys - Silver Sabers were from Beaver PA, and Sharpsburg was from, well, Sharpsburg. You never DARED confuse the two.

And guys - Silver Sabers were from Beaver PA, and Sharpsburg was from, well, Sharpsburg.  You never DARED confuse the two.

That is true! We had some real shady characters in Cadets. I do believe they were part of a work release program! Fun Times!

Rocketman - 70's byproduct and proud of it!

ampssuck

Hey Rocketman do you keep in touch with John "Oscar" Menosky? I got to know him from the days when the Patriots and Cadets used to compete. Never forget his great solo work in "Uptight!" In 1976, he and several others came to Derry to march with the Patriots, but I split and joined the Erie Thunderbirds. I am sure you know Oscar is trumpeter for Dr. Zoot, the swing band from the 'burgh. We follow the band as much as possible. The group I run with loves that music. If you haven't heard them, they are the "hippest" thing around. (Sorry, showing my 70's upbringing!) Their CD's are very well done and the music cooks. I plan to see them soon as they are performing in the area next month. Just thought I would drop a note to you to see if you keep in contact with the old cadet members. I also see Oscar and Smitty at drum corps shows in the Pittsburgh area every summer.

Hey Gregg!

Thanks - I was going to respond but couldn't remember John's last name - kept coming back to "Oscar' but couldn't figure out why!

Rocketman - I was still with the Patriots when Chet brought John and a few others over from Sharpsburg. And yes, there were two or three that were 'hardened'. We were warned by Chet to tread lightly, although they were pretty cool guys once you got to know them.

Is Chet still liiving? I have not heard anything about him for quite some time, and was wondering.

Blue Sabres were from NY and Sharpsburg were from PA so I know there was no merger.

Maybe you're thinking of another corps.

Here's what Jeff Davis is quoted as saying about Sharpsburg's 1975 season (via CorpsReps):

"Unable to hold membership, however, the Cadets merged with the Sharpsville Blue Sabres in 1975, becoming the Sabre Cadets of Sharpsburg and Sharpsville (the two towns were 140 miles apart)."

Does anyone out there have the scores from the 1974 NT Open?  I believe that was the year we (Derry Patriots) competed.  From what my memory serves me, I recall there was no distinction between open and class A corps in prelims.  The Derry Patriots were scoring around the high 30's or low 40's.  During prelims we were sandwiched inbetween Argonne Rebels and the Chicago Cavaliers!  Scores went something like Argonne 79, Derry 39, Cavaliers 80! 

I must not have the complete scores, then. Here's what I have for prelims:

Blue Devils, CA 81.35

Cavaliers, IL 75.45

Regiment Militaire, LA 72.9

Precisionnaires, IA 66.4

Squires, NY 65.4

Pioneers, WI 63.4

Seneca Princemen, ONT 63.0

Charioteers, AL 61.1

Argonne Rebels, KS 60.45

Iron Brigade, MI 46.9

Silhouettes, FL 44.65

Shoreliners, NY 40.2

Appleknockers, NY 39.7

Can't find a score for the Derry Patriots competing at North Tonawanda in any year.

I don't think we sucked that bad that they don't have a score for us! I know we were there, I bought a T-Shirt saying NT Open and had some kind of little picture...

Hey Rocketman do you keep in touch with John "Oscar" Menosky?  I got to know him from the days when the Patriots and Cadets used to compete.  Never forget his great solo work in "Uptight!"  In 1976, he and several others came to Derry to march with the Patriots, but I split and joined the Erie Thunderbirds.  I am sure you know Oscar is trumpeter for Dr. Zoot, the swing band from the 'burgh.  We follow the band as much as possible.  The group I run with loves that music.  If you haven't heard them, they are the "hippest" thing around. (Sorry, showing my 70's upbringing!)  Their CD's are very well done and the music cooks.  I plan to see them soon as they are performing in the area next month.  Just thought I would drop a note to you to see if you keep in contact with the old cadet members.  I also see Oscar and Smitty at drum corps shows in the Pittsburgh area every summer.

Greg:

I know this might come as a shock but, John and I are the two driving the Cadet reunion this Fall. I usually talk to him at least once a week. He has sent me every Dr. Zoot CD, they are GREAT! John (Oscar) was, and still is, a great horn player. I just wish his drum corps career could have continued past Derry (no offense) and into national prominence. I do believe his talent was such that he would still be remembered today for the work he did in Junior corps.

And yes, somehow, Chet is STILL living. I actually received 2 e-mails from him.

Rocketman - oldie

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman