DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

Most of the shows were my first time seeing so my thoughts...

74 Kingsmen- interesting, a lot has changed since the 70's...

75 Madison- even entetaining in the 70's, I enjoyed their show

76 Blue Devils- sounded great, I guess trumpet screamers are their forever trademark

80 Spirit- the sound quality was naturally better with some newer technology, they sounded good

80 27th- kinda bored me, dont see all the hype with them

89 SCV- i've seen this show plenty of times, LOVE IT!

91 Star- also have seen the show before, the mellos sound incredible!!!!!! cool drill also, very ahead of their time

92 VK- as much humor as they brought with the show, they sound very good...whole audience couldnt stop laughing

96 Phantom- seen plenty of times before, they sound 'loud', but real blatty, i never like listening to the baritones in this show, gets real groggy in the low brass sound, trumpets do sound awsome though; brass buries drumline, low brass has too many stick outs, and drill wasnt that clean...how did they get first?

00 Boston- seen tooooooo many times, drill seems the same year after year, same random drum hits, same BOX drill!!!!, brass sounds good though, but have the same BOX drill!!!!!

00 Cadets- its the Cadets, their consistently good, superior brass, clean drill, smoking drumline, amazing guard, yadda yadda....

02 Cavaliers- (same as the above)...yadda yadda...

...wait... you thought cadets '00 had superior brass but phantom '96 was blatty???

*confused face begins.......... now*

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound was okay here in Los Angeles (Alhambra). I'd say we were at about 80 - 90% capacity. But we also had 9 theaters to choose from here in So Cal. :D B)

And THANKS for voting us #1 gang! I was really surprised, especially that we beat 2002 Cavaliers. Wow! I don't think that would ever happen if the two shows competed back to back. But thanks just the same.

saw the show in dublin, california - right in between santa clara and concord, so you can imagine the crowd! what a joy to be with people who understand and feel the activity in such a way. all you 2-7 folks out there: just so you know, the 1980 show got lots of screaming from us west coasters.

biggest fan favorite, bar none: vk 1992

fun moment: when they showed 1996 phantom in their black uniform, some renegade joker, yelling out RENEGADES!! (lots of renegades in the house tonight)

and the place went completely nuts for 1989 scv scoring number 1. all you santa clara vets out there, congrats! especially for those of you who marched in 89.

what a great night to spend with my son and show him a bit of what the old man is all about.

' Just got back from Fort Myers, Florida showing........about 2rds full.....Sound definately not surround sound, nor Dolby.......Still loved the shows though despite this......Quick snapshots......Mellophone line of Star unreal. This Corps was ahead of it's time. 'Difficult charts played well.......27th Guard especially rifles, got some oohs and ahhs. Music easy, but entertaining........BD, Madison Concerts are simply treasures......George Zingalli was a Genius......BAC 's show looked better to me now,than in 2000. Liked them a lot.......Cadets show much better 2nd half than ist half. Not my favorite Cadets show though. Not sure how this one made it to the screen compared to several other years that would have been my choice.......Phantom's opening that year is a masterpeice.......Spirit had a better drum line than I remember them having, because their music and horn line was their calling card that year......Anaheim Kingsmen also had a terriific guard that I forgot about. Loved the high leg marching these guys did.......VK was a hoot, they had some talent to pull it off too......SCV had the entire package in 89, with a story line that everybody could relate too.......Madison's 75 Corps will be shown in 2030, and it will still be entertaining and timeless......Cavies have taken the activity to visual heights never before seen. Amazing talent across the board.That said, when Cesario (,the announcer), tells me that the Cavies music that year had "to be seen " to be fully appreciated, well that tells me that the music that year could not stand on it's own for many people, as well conceived, and executed as it was......Love their drum charts though......All in all, this was enjoyable nite..... wished the Bridgemen, Muchachoes were shown tonite. They should have been.....If the younger kids have never seen the Bridgemen, and the Muchachoes, they are missing 2 corps that were as entertaining in their own special and unique way as anything I saw up on that screen tonite..... it's getting late,' have to go.....thank you DCI for a great concept, and lets do something like this every year in the off season.

Edited by starting line

Once we got to VK, the usher I could see started enjoying it...he lauged as much as anyone else...saw him applaiding other corps...who audience went "####" on the sudden 90 degree direction change opening Cavies '02 closer.

Did anyone else get a postcard advertisement from DCI for this show...in todays mail???

Good timing, DCI...

Most of the shows were my first time seeing so my thoughts...

74 Kingsmen- interesting, a lot has changed since the 70's...

75 Madison- even entetaining in the 70's, I enjoyed their show

76 Blue Devils- sounded great, I guess trumpet screamers are their forever trademark

80 Spirit- the sound quality was naturally better with some newer technology, they sounded good

80 27th- kinda bored me, dont see all the hype with them

89 SCV- i've seen this show plenty of times, LOVE IT!

91 Star- also have seen the show before, the mellos sound incredible!!!!!! cool drill also, very ahead of their time

92 VK- as much humor as they brought with the show, they sound very good...whole audience couldnt stop laughing

96 Phantom- seen plenty of times before, they sound 'loud', but real blatty, i never like listening to the baritones in this show, gets real groggy in the low brass sound, trumpets do sound awsome though; brass buries drumline, low brass has too many stick outs, and drill wasnt that clean...how did they get first?

00 Boston- seen tooooooo many times, drill seems the same year after year, same random drum hits, same BOX drill!!!!, brass sounds good though, but have the same BOX drill!!!!!

00 Cadets- its the Cadets, their consistently good, superior brass, clean drill, smoking drumline, amazing guard, yadda yadda....

02 Cavaliers- (same as the above)...yadda yadda...

27th Lancers bored you? You are insane. To say that Phantom 96' was "blatty" is idiotic. I was there, and their brass was nearly perfect. Cadets you say had superior brass and clean drill? No, not really. Brass was good, but drill was somewhat sloppy, even for Cadets...

I was at the Sawgrass theater, in Sunrise, FL. Underwhelmed with the sound. Plenty of people complained, and I got up during VK (I have the DVD, plus there was sort of a hurry to get it done before Phantom '96) to go find a manager. When I told him that there was no surround sound on and the front speakers were pretty quiet, he said that they had plenty of complains, and had called up twice. He told me that they were getting a satellite feed and that there was no way to turn it up or put the surround sound on. At one point in the broadcast, I heard the volume go up for a few seconds, but then get lowered. I'm not too sure about this whole satellite thing, but I really was not musically blown away as I had hoped to be.

Corps was pretty well represented, about 2/3 of the theater was filled. I assume it was much more so crowded in Miami. Even though there's a theater there, we had a very large BAC majority, with Magic and Cadets people interspersed. I was told that there was a guy there who marched Madison '75, though I didn't get to meet him. Cadets '00 probably got the biggest ovation, I'd say. Pretty good fan participation, though I would have liked to see/hear more. Someone yelled "goooo Iiiiiannnn" at the beginning of Cadets 2000, and I could hear some of the BAC '00 vocals throughout the theater. I wore my Bluecoats shirt and my Magic jacket, and met up with a few (personally expected more though) people who I marched with in 2004. Overall, it was a good experience, but the sound really kept it from living up to my expectations. Without the surround sound, things like the America O' Canada just didn't really have any effect to me.

I also feel like mentioning....the gap between '80 27th and '89 SCV was really awkward. So much happened in between those two shows that wasn't covered. The spectators seemed quite ready when SCV came on; I didn't realize how fast they moved that year!

(Out of all the shows I hadn't seen before; the first 5....I liked 27th a lot.)

Being that I work in a movie theater, I can assure you that the sound CAN be turned up on a satellite broadcast. In fact, we had to complain at our theater for them to do so, and about a minute later, hey!!.....the volume went WAY up!! AWESOME!!!

As for MY thoughts on the evening....I loved all of the shows that were shown tonight, even though not all of them did I vote for...I'm not so sure that I will go the next time, though. The reason I say this is because I have all of these shows on either video or dvd, and I have seen them all like a gazillion times, and even with the volume turned way up, it just wasn't really worth my time to go out of my house and pay over ten dollars to sit and watch. Why pay when I can watch for free at home? I thought the surround sound would be worth it, for Phantom, at least, but it wasn't THAT much greater than my home surround sound system.

So, I have to say "Thank you!" to DCI for making this event happen, and keep it up, (these young kids could use a history lesson...) however, I don't know if I'll be attending in the future.....(maybe if they show Santa Clara Vanguard 1987, like they should have tonight...) Just MHO...

Edited by Cardman

baton rouge louisiana.....horrid sound....expecting the surround sound to kick in with the newer corps....umm...awesome seeing the old shows....although without decent sound not nearly as impactful as expected....89 scv by far the fan fave here....surprisingly no one hyped the cavies....umm...id go again....work on the sound deal though...please

I saw the show in Santa Maria, California and i was very impressed by the sound of the 70s corps in particular. The clarity was much greater than expected from old recordings. The video of a few of the earlier corps was sketchy, but there's little you can do about that. The volume overall was just right I think; of course I would've liked it cranked up all the way, but I think they got it right. I noticed phantom 96 was EXTREMELY bass heavy, so much so that it covered up other sections of the corps, such as the drumline. I think this is just how the show was recorded orginally though.

There was a fair amount of audience response, with phantom getting a lot, and probably the most going to scv. VK had everyone laughing of course. Cadets probably had the least reaction. It was a midsize theater, but it was pretty full.

All in all it was a great show, and I think they did a really good job at producing it. I think most of the complaints in this post stem from theater problems rather than problems with the production. The Edwards in Santa Maria is pretty new, so I guess we got lucky that it was up to par technically. I hope they do this again next year, because there are many more shows I would love to see on the big screen.

I noticed phantom 96 was EXTREMELY bass heavy, so much so that it covered up other sections of the corps, such as the drumline. I think this is just how the show was recorded orginally though.

Yes, the original recordings of 96 were all a little "bass heavy". Just not a very good job of recording the sound by DCI that year, and it's a crying shame too because Phantom's brass was just SO AWESOME. I have yet to hear a hornline that is better than Phantom 96'....