DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

Excellent post Clarence, I appreciate the remarks! You have it figured out as far as what I was trying to convey.

Oh and Welcome to the planet! :)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am always amazed when I read that young people think what we did was easy, or easier than what they do today. Remember, there are trade offs in any comparison of "new" drum corps versus old school

Judging was more difficult on us than now. The tick system is very unforgiving.

The guard work is very different. I marched in a DCA guard last year which does work identical to what is done today. I ran alot, did a very difficult rifle book with alot of odd angles, and a ton of body movement. I didn't have to do high mark time while spinning, I didn't have to spin two rifles at once(often at two different tempo's), do double time, or have to do any exchanges or tricks like I did when I march "back in the day"

The physical requirements are the same. You need endurance to jazz run, and keep up with your equipment book at todays tempo's. You also needed it to spin and do high mark time. Niether is more difficult than the other.

Cleaning both styles is tedious and difficult. One is difficult because of the body and angles of the equipment, the other because everything had to be exactly the same and VERY well executed.

If anyone thinks what we did was easy, just give me one afternoon with you and I'll show you just how difficult it really is. (not a threat but a truthful demonstration)

Lastly I hope and pray that I never have to see a former 27th lancer having to come to the defense of your reputation. No matter what anyone says what you put on that field in 1980 was something special, and something to be extremely proud of. (That goes for every year you guys were on the field)

Edited by deftguy

I am always amazed when I read that young people think what we did was easy, or easier than what they do today. Remember, there are trade offs in any comparison of "new" drum corps versus old school

Judging was more difficult on us than now. The tick system is very unforgiving.

The guard work is very different. I marched in a DCA guard last year which does work identical to what is done today. I ran alot, did a very difficult rifle book with alot of odd angles, and a ton of body movement. I didn't have to do high mark time while spinning, I didn't have to spin two rifles at once(often at two different tempo's), do double time, or have to do any exchanges or tricks like I did when I march "back in the day"

The physical requirements are the same. You need endurance to jazz run, and keep up with your equipment book at todays tempo's. You also needed it to spin and do high mark time. Niether is more difficult than the other.

Cl

I am always amazed when I read that young people think what we did was easy, or easier than what they do today.  Remember, there are trade offs in any comparison of "new" drum corps versus old school

Judging was more difficult on us than now.  The tick system is very unforgiving.

The guard work is very different.  I marched in a DCA guard last year which does work identical to what is done today.  I ran alot, did a very difficult rifle book with alot of odd angles, and a ton of body movement.  I didn't have to do high mark time while spinning, I didn't have to spin two rifles at once(often at two different tempo's), do double time, or have to do any exchanges or tricks like I did when I march "back in the day" 

The physical requirements are the same.  You need endurance to jazz run, and keep up with your equipment book at todays tempo's.  You also needed it to spin and do high mark time.  Niether is more difficult than the other.

Cleaning both styles is tedious and difficult.  One is difficult because of the body and angles of the equipment, the other because everything had to be exactly the same and VERY well executed. 

If anyone thinks what we did was easy, just give me one afternoon with you and I'll show you just how difficult it really is. (not a threat but a truthful demonstration)

Lastly I hope and pray that I never have to see a former 27th lancer having to come to the defense of your reputation.  No matter what anyone says what you put on that field in 1980 was something special, and something to be extremely proud of. (That goes for every year you guys were on the field)

I don't believe I've ever disagreed with one word you've said! Ever! :music:

I am always amazed when I read that young people think what we did was easy, or easier than what they do today.  Remember, there are trade offs in any comparison of "new" drum corps versus old school

Judging was more difficult on us than now.  The tick system is very unforgiving.

The guard work is very different.  I marched in a DCA guard last year which does work identical to what is done today.  I ran alot, did a very difficult rifle book with alot of odd angles, and a ton of body movement.  I didn't have to do high mark time while spinning, I didn't have to spin two rifles at once(often at two different tempo's), do double time, or have to do any exchanges or tricks like I did when I march "back in the day" 

The physical requirements are the same.  You need endurance to jazz run, and keep up with your equipment book at todays tempo's.  You also needed it to spin and do high mark time.  Niether is more difficult than the other.

Cleaning both styles is tedious and difficult.  One is difficult because of the body and angles of the equipment, the other because everything had to be exactly the same and VERY well executed. 

Lastly I hope and pray that I never have to see a former 27th lancer having to come to the defense of your reputation.  No matter what anyone says what you put on that field in 1980 was something special, and something to be extremely proud of. (That goes for every year you guys were on the field)

Excellent post!!!

I'd also like to add that we didn't have the technology of today back in 1980. Writing drill alone was a nightmare. Drill writing software??? get out of town!

This was almost a decade before even the most privileged had a basic PC.

I remember staff buying bottles of aspirin, and would use one aspirin tablet to represent a marching member. This done on a spread out blanket to represent the field. Other times they'd simply use tablet upon tablet of graph paper.

Excellent post Clarence, I appreciate the remarks! You have it figured out as far as what I was trying to convey.

Oh and Welcome to the planet! :)

Thank you much, Lancerlady. Sorry I'm just getting back to you on this (long hours at work :() . I was somewhat worried about how I came off. If my post is OK with you, I'm proud.

hey everyone,

as a person who has enjoyed drum corps for say probably about twelve years now, and a music educator and a performer still in connecticut, i would find it interesting to see how drum corps would have been if they had the instrumentation, the instruments, drill and instructor of today? watching the videos and writing the column for drum corps planet, i find myself reflecting on this. i also agree that dci today is "horty torty" and at times turns my stomach. i find myself appreciating div. II and III more and more. it all seems to be about money and who is going where for tour, not the activity itself and the friends you make. i helped start a corps in connecticut the past few years and i saw it there as much as anywhere. the members, most of them did not appreciate what was going on or the music. i got very distressed by this not to mention many of the people involved. it is refreshing to see the dca corps now more then the dci, it is about the activity and not the money or the who did this or "i did that". whether or not i enjoyed the shows of the past i can at least appreciate where they all took us and how hard they worked or were dedicated. hats off to all of you from a musician, a fan and a music educator. you can all come and tech my bands anytime.