DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

I was in the Twin Cities on business this week so made it to the Brookyn Center showing. No sound problems that I'm aware of but I wouln't have minded it a bit louder. Anyhow, it beat the heck out of sitting in a motel room alone watching TV reruns and trash. Lots of Minn. Brass folks around as well as good representations of Madison Scouts, and Blue Stars. Sorry I missed meeting Mike Oldmeyer.

Here are a few random thoughts. Anaheim in 74 was a great show but frankly I'm a little surprised that Santa Clara 74 didn't edge them out. Great to see that show again and in addition to the already mentioned great guard they had a pretty smokin' drumline that year too. Glad they made the cut.

Madison 75 will probably go down in history as one of the landmark shows of all time. The real emergence of "the Madison Sound". Ditto with BD 76 for lots of different reasons. Danny Boy still puts a lump in my throat. Sure wish we could regain some of the sense of humor that was lost when VK left us. Phantom Regiment had a gorgeous horn sound in 96 and I don't use that word very often. I saw the Star 91 show a bunch that year but watching it again gave me a new appreciation for the whole package they put together. Cavaliers 2002 show suffers the most from seeing it on the screen. There's just so much going on that is impossible to catch on film.

I had a great time and kept hoping I'd run into some corps bum I knew so we could "bond". The crowd was very well behaved and gave appropriate applause to all corps.I did have a nice conversation with a young man who plays snare for Chops Inc. prior to the show starting. Thanks to DCI for doing this and I hope they plan new things to bring to us in the future.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the show in Victor, NY (near Rochester). As Tom said, the volume started out anemic, but we bellowed in unison and there quickly was sound! The 1974 Anaheim performance transported me back to that hot and humid rain-delayed afternoon in Ithaca, NY where I was also marching with my corps (Auburn Purple Lancers).

I loved the close ups of Madison's Chris Metzger doing his thing. I remember how he always blew the minds of us lead sopranos. Glad to hear he is still playing a good horn.

Blue Devils 1976...what an awesome "take no prisoners" performance. I remember witnessing their show that year in Philly. The close ups of the horn line really brought out the "heart, soul, and passion" of their performance. Loved it!

I am a BIG 27 fan from way back and really enjoyed seeing their energetic and unique look and sound on the field again. One thing, though, and I have noticed it on audio recordings in the past, I felt the punch in "Danny Boy" didn't have the commanding presence of their performances in the early 70's...just MHO.

I enjoyed the dance work of Spirit's very comely rifle line in concert.

My surprise favorite was 2000 Cadets. I had never seen the drill from that year, but had always enjoyed audio recordings of the unfamiliar, yet compelling music which they played that year. The combination was spectacular. I was captivated by the virtuosity which the drum and horn lines showed near the end of their performance. I say that I was surprised since I often feel that their shows are a little over the top for my tastes.

I enjoyed all the corps. It is, indeed, an impressive display of drum corp's journey over the years. I was also surprised and pleased by Michael and Steve's allusion to drum corps' getting too far away from its primary mission of crowd entertainment during the 90's and signs that things are returning to the original mission once again in the 21st century.

Great job DCI! I am definitely going to add this DVD to my collection.

I was very disappointed with the sound quality, and the picture quality with the earlier corps. It was physically painful at times to look at 74 Kingsmen because of how blurry it was (at least for me, and my eyes aren't the greatest). I figured, it's a theater, they'll have these things in surround sound or at least with some quality volume. But, it was not to be...I might as well have been watching them on a big screen TV with no external speakers. Very disappointing; so much of the impact was lost.

First I would like to say thank you to DCI and Tom Blair for putting together this project.

I saw the show in Charlotte and must say the sound quality was terrible. The only corps of the night that sounded good was SCV. The corps before them were ok on sound just not loud like I know they should have been. After SCV it sounded like the sound was being compressed everytime the full hornline began to play. You would hear a mallet instrument that was louder then the biggest hits of the entire corp.

Breakdown

Kingsman great to see where things all started. loved the rep. thank goodness for the Bridgemen getting rid of that high mark time. Wonder what these forst corps would have sounded like without the high mark time

Madison yeah they were loud I guess but at what expense just blatty and out of tune one of my least fav of the night rather seen 95

BD great show always a big fan of channel 1 also loved the fact that they moved a little more and took a few more chances

Spirit always been one of my favorite shows to listen too. first time seeing it, visual left much to be desired but still love these guys what a wall of sound my favorite of the first 5 show of the night

27 didn't get the hype would be in my bottom 3 shows of the night just looked too cluttered with the flags and really didn't blow my socks off playing

Note: I thought the first 5 corps would be much cleaner visually then they were due to the fact it was so much easier and all I have heard is precision drill. Left much to be desired on the quality of the visual. I could understand the difference in music due to instruments.

SCV Wow loved this show as I always have, my favorite of the night what passion they protrayed along with entertainment value

Star What a horn line. they were way ahead of their time. Much more demanding musical show then many we are seeing today and still doing very hard drill. Love them they are in my top 3

VK man what fun i still remember seeing them live that year not as well executed as everyone else but still a blast to watch would have loved to see the Bridgemen as well

Phantom has always been one of my favorites to listen to but the sound was so bad last night I was disappointed but I still loved the show what a hornline they had that year loved the tubas at the begining

Boston well let's just say this show should have never made this list didn't like it when I first saw it and still don't like it and by the way for all of you who are in favor of full corps singing and not miced singing listen to the quality of Boston's it was terrible they didn't match pitch or tone quality How many times are we going to have to see the same drill put to different music

Cadets this is my all time favorite show although SCV was it for last night because of sound issues with the theater this is just an entertaining, emotional, and a very well executed show I can't watch this show enough. I just wish i had a video of the encore they did that year it was much better then the finals run they just let it rip and had fun

Cavies I must say this is the best put together show of all time however still leaves a lot to be desired from the music aspect I am a strong believer in music first and the visual compliments it not the other way around still can't find a melody in the show

Overall I liked the show jsut was expecting a little more from the earlier corps afterhearing all the hype on DCP about how the old days were so good. I jsut saw those shows as pretty easy and just how loud can you play. Thank goodness DCI has been willing to make changes and that people continue to push the envelope of what can be done. It's amazing to see how much things have changed in these years especialy in the mid 80's.

I really don't get the "I don't get the hype for the 27 show" . It wasn't a hype. It was about the way they marched, played and presented themselves. Can you play that Don Ellis on G bugles? If you go back and look on the DVD Legacy at home, maybe you'll "get it." The color guard actually did work their ###e$ off and the quality of the video ###### me off cause it didn't give you a clear shot of what was going on, only on close ups. And the sound in our theatre wasn't all great either. I was trying to be nice, but I don't know why some insist on not showing proper respect for the history of the activity.

Sorry for ranting but every time I hear someone call 27 a "hype" it doesn't sit well with me. It wasn't a "Hype" it was a way they presented themselves. I see that the majority of the drum corps fans "get it", there is only a couple that don't.

About the comment on the drill of the early corps, it was a geometric drill and whatever image you saw on one side of the field, you saw mirrored on the other side of the field, PERFECTLY, with the exception of the Cavaliers, I don't see a lot of that going on today. Can you march a Zingali drill?

And as far as your comment about the sound, the surround sound didn't do the impact points justice for the earlier corps. I don't appreciate your comments about how easy it was to play that music and peform the drill, very disrespectful attitude. I played some things that weren't so dang easy. I'd like to see you play some Don Ellis. (Especially that contra solo in 27) play that! Like I said before I'd like to see you pick up a horn and play the music that was played like Madison, BD, and 27 played. :ramd:

Edited by Lancerlady

And Contra Players Are Dumb !!!!!!! b**bs

:D :D :D

I agree with skimannc1. I was like, where is the visual? Who chose those flags for some of those '70's and '80's corps? Who couldn't do that? The percussion sections didn't even have to march at all. Up and down the 50, and usually in the same tight formations. Brass sections in the '70's were to play loud facing the concert side and louder when playing backfield. Lots of intonation issues. Loud does not equal musicianship. But it was nice to see how drum corps evolved to the higher quality of musicianship and visual it is today.

:blink::music: :sshh: