DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

I agree with skimannc1. I was like, where is the visual?  Who chose those flags for some of those '70's and '80's corps?  Who couldn't do that? The percussion sections didn't even have to march at all. Up and down the 50, and usually in the same tight formations. Brass sections in the '70's were to play loud facing the concert side and louder when playing backfield.  Lots of intonation issues.  Loud does not equal musicianship.  But it was nice to see how drum corps evolved to the higher quality of musicianship and visual it is today.

"In your opinion"

~G~

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get the "I don't get the hype for the 27 show" . It wasn't a hype. It was about the way they marched, played and presented themselves. Can you play that Don Ellis on G bugles?  If you go back and look on the DVD Legacy at home, maybe you'll "get it." The color guard actually did work their ###e$ off and the quality of the video ###### me off cause it didn't give you a clear shot of what was going on, only on close ups. And the sound in our theatre wasn't all great either. I was trying to be nice, but I don't know why some insist on not showing proper respect for the history of the activity.

Sorry for ranting but every time I hear someone call 27 a "hype" it doesn't sit well with me. It wasn't a "Hype" it was a way they presented themselves. I see that the majority of the drum corps fans "get it", there is only a couple that don't.

About the comment on the drill of the early corps, it was a geometric drill and whatever image you saw on one side of the field, you saw mirrored on the other side of the field, PERFECTLY, with the exception of the Cavaliers, I don't see a lot of that going on today. Can you march a Zingali drill?

And as far as your comment about the sound, the surround sound  didn't do the impact points justice for the earlier corps. I don't appreciate your comments about how easy it was to play that music and peform the drill, very disrespectful attitude. I played some things that weren't so dang easy. I'd like to see you play some Don Ellis. (Especially that contra solo in 27) play that! Like I said before I'd like to see you pick up a horn and play the music that was played like Madison, BD, and 27 played. :ramd:

Hype your one that keeps on hyping them about how good they are. I am not being disrespectful I am just stating my opinion. All I had heard was how great they were and I left my opion until I saw them. It's not about not showing respect for the history. I am greatful for the history but what I don't see is when people continously say back in the day things were so much better when the activity has definitly grown into what it is today and hopefully will continue to grow which I feel it will. I would agree that the colorguard was sorking very hard almost too hard because sometime it was distracting and too busy at times. I would still say it's not as hard as what the performers do today because all you did then is what we teach as basics today.

Before you ever question whether I can do something or not you might want to know who your talking to because I gaurentee that I can march and can play that contra solo (I've played much harder things then that like most of the top tuba literature out there). I happen to be a very fine tuba player and could hold my own on the marching side as well. I have had the pleasure of marching symetrical drill in college. I found it much easier to do that then to march asymetrical drill because you had so many more dress points to make sure you were right. I'm not quite sure about the PERFECTNESS of what I saw though.

We all have opinions and no one has the exact right one but what I said is no different then all the commonets that have been made about corps and their choices today like Boston and Crown. I like what they did but some didn't and we all have that right that's why this is a message board

I really don't get the "I don't get the hype for the 27 show" . It wasn't a hype. It was about the way they marched, played and presented themselves. Can you play that Don Ellis on G bugles?  If you go back and look on the DVD Legacy at home, maybe you'll "get it." The color guard actually did work their ###e$ off and the quality of the video ###### me off cause it didn't give you a clear shot of what was going on, only on close ups. And the sound in our theatre wasn't all great either. I was trying to be nice, but I don't know why some insist on not showing proper respect for the history of the activity.

Sorry for ranting but every time I hear someone call 27 a "hype" it doesn't sit well with me. It wasn't a "Hype" it was a way they presented themselves. I see that the majority of the drum corps fans "get it", there is only a couple that don't.

About the comment on the drill of the early corps, it was a geometric drill and whatever image you saw on one side of the field, you saw mirrored on the other side of the field, PERFECTLY, with the exception of the Cavaliers, I don't see a lot of that going on today. Can you march a Zingali drill?

And as far as your comment about the sound, the surround sound  didn't do the impact points justice for the earlier corps. I don't appreciate your comments about how easy it was to play that music and peform the drill, very disrespectful attitude. I played some things that weren't so dang easy. I'd like to see you play some Don Ellis. (Especially that contra solo in 27) play that! Like I said before I'd like to see you pick up a horn and play the music that was played like Madison, BD, and 27 played. :ramd:

You tell him Lancer lady

Some people, Just don’t get it, IMO

The 1980 27 corps was one of the most Exciting, Fast and in your face corps, of

all-time. The videos just never do the corps justice,..... cluttered ? maybe just unbelievably complex and demanding, to this day. Remember this was twenty-five years ago, Should have seen what most of the other corps were doing back then, very little.

Before you ever question whether I can do something or not you might want to know who your talking to because I gaurentee that I can march and can play that contra solo (I've played much harder things then that like most of the top tuba literature out there).  I happen to be a very fine tuba player and could hold my own on the marching side as well.  I have had the pleasure of marching symetrical drill in college.  I found it much easier to do that then to march asymetrical drill because you had so many more dress points to make sure you were right.  I'm not quite sure about the PERFECTNESS of what I saw though. 

I sure hope and wish you good luck in winning I & E on "tuba" as the person playing in 1980 did! :P

I agree with skimannc1. I was like, where is the visual?  Who chose those flags for some of those '70's and '80's corps?  Who couldn't do that?

The person who "invented" and chose our flags (that cluttered up the field) "double silks" was a genius named Zingali! That's not my opinion but fact.

The High GE Trophy at 1980 Nationals - the show you saw - tells us that the judges must have been incorrect!

The fact that there were 2 full silks to spin at so many spots in the show will tell you that they would be heavier than 1 silk and more difficult.

It's a shame you don't have to clean weapons anymore, or you'd then appreciate it more!

Oh, I forgot, the change in flag color, props, weapons takes up all of that cleaning time..... :blink:

However, that IS just my opinion and I respect yours!

I was also at Irvine. Ryan, I would have bought your ticket if I had known. We even had Mom Smith yell "Go get em kids" when VK started. I did hear some heart thumping "Bonnie" when BD was on. Got a chuckle when one of the corps as they came to the front sidelines all you heard was contra. I would have liked to have see Bridgemen. It would have been nice to hear...On the starting line...

All in all a great show. Will be there for Quarterfinals.

Darla

Hype your one that keeps on hyping them about how good they are.  I am not being disrespectful I am just stating my opinion.  All I had heard was how great they were and I left my opion until I saw them.  It's not about not showing respect for the history.  I am greatful for the history but what I don't see is when people continously say back in the day things were so much better when the activity has definitly grown into what it is today and hopefully will continue to grow which I feel it will.  I would agree that the colorguard was sorking very hard almost too hard because sometime it was distracting and too busy at times.  I would still say it's not as hard as what the performers do today because all you did then is what we teach as basics today.

Before you ever question whether I can do something or not you might want to know who your talking to because I gaurentee that I can march and can play that contra solo (I've played much harder things then that like most of the top tuba literature out there).  I happen to be a very fine tuba player and could hold my own on the marching side as well.  I have had the pleasure of marching symetrical drill in college.  I found it much easier to do that then to march asymetrical drill because you had so many more dress points to make sure you were right.  I'm not quite sure about the PERFECTNESS of what I saw though. 

We all have opinions and no one has the exact right one but what I said is no different then all the commonets that have been made about corps and their choices today like Boston and Crown.  I like what they did but some didn't and we all have that right that's why this is a message board

I haven't been "Hyping" anything. I have been trying to show kids where their history came from but...

Whatever... :sshh:

I'm glad to hear you can play such top notch literature... :blink: Say, can you play "Flight of the Bumblebee" On a rotary contra and make all the Judges drop their jaws and WIN with a high score!? That's what Cliff White did (soloist you are talking about)...I guess that's too easy though for you uh? :sshh:

Yes everyone has opinions but yours sure came off pretty condescending like your "era" in drum corps was so much better. Nancy has said all the other things I wanted to say. If you don't "get it" that is your loss as far as I'm concerned.

:blink:

Hype your one that keeps on hyping them about how good they are.  I am not being disrespectful I am just stating my opinion.  All I had heard was how great they were and I left my opion until I saw them.

You never saw them. You are basing your musings on a video telecast. The very least you could do is show a little respect towards that what built your activity for you.

Based on what you write here and in other threads previously, it leads me to believe that in my opinion, you have no clue about the shows and the activity that came before you.........

To sit their in your armchair and disect and rationalize and try to denounce the efforts and skill that was put forth in these classic shows while smugly giving us your thoughts on wether you could "handle" such shows......??

Yes all opinions are vaild, relevant and warranted, however one should really have some knowledge and respect when doling it out free of charge :music:

....sigh

~G~

You tell him Lancer lady

Some people, Just don’t get it, IMO

The 1980 27 corps was one of the most Exciting, Fast and in your face corps, of

all-time. The videos just never do the corps justice,..... cluttered ? maybe just unbelievably complex and demanding, to this day. Remember this was twenty-five years ago, Should have seen what most of the other corps were doing back then, very little.

Thanks for that! :) Yeah, the video didn't do it as much justice as I had hoped on the far away shots for sure....I guess some will never "get it"...will they?

They think we think our era is better, but that's not the point it's just about trying to get them to see the history and appreciate it. But some won't no matter what. It's sad. :)

:huh:

You never saw them. You are basing your musings on a video telecast. The very least you could do is show a little respect towards that what built your activity for you.

Based on what you write here and in other threads previously, it leads me to believe that in my opinion, you have no clue about the shows and the activity that came before you.........

To sit their in your armchair and disect and rationalize and try to denounce the efforts and skill that was put forth in these classic shows while smugly giving us your thoughts on wether you could "handle" such shows......??

Yes all opinions are vaild, relevant and warranted, however one should really have some knowledge and respect when doling it out free of charge :lol:

....sigh

~G~

Nicely stated G! :blink::music: :)