DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

For my money '96 Phantom was the treat of the evening. That show was an understated delight. I'm disappointed at the 'placement' the fans gave, but not surprised given the history. Between PR and '89 SCV, neither of whom I'd ever seen, it was money well spent. I was also impressed by Cavies - a second seeing increased my appreciation for 'Frameworks'.

It's nice to see that despite some significant changes, drum corps is alive and well, at least at the upper echelons.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my money '96 Phantom was the treat of the evening.  That show was an understated delight. 

I dunno man, I think the show gets props now that it's ten years later. Like an author who reaches the bestseller lists after he dies. But I would agree that in 96 the show was understated to say the least. I marched with a Division II that year, and I remember seeing Phantom early on in the season and thinking the show was much more boring than Adventures Under a Darkened Sky. What a surprise finals night was when PR completely blew me away.

I saw the presentation in Houston. Someone had to complain about the sound during the intermission, because after the break, it was where it should have been all night. Nice and loud.

I would saw the theater was about 85% full. Didn't have a clue about what kind of crowd it would be, but is was a blast. Cheering and applauding during the shows.

Much thanks to DCI for doing this, and hope they do it again.

I'd have to see it again to state this with 100% authority, but I believe the dialogue was that these are the corps you would be seeing at DCI shows this summer.

Mike

Yes and Music City Legend was left off the list :ramd:

I saw the show in Marlboro, MA (thanks to all the 27 and BC fans there for making it a great atmosphere to watch). It sounds to me like DCI, or the distributing company, gave the theaters the wrong audio settings to start with. It would be too much of a coincedence for ALL of these theaters to screw it up. Our sound was too low for the first 6, and fine after intermission.

It was fun to see the reaction of some of the younger attendees to Kingsman, 27, et.al....what do you know...there was life before the Cavies...

A report from Gainesville, FL

--As in most places, it seems, our sound was also disappointing. That alone kinda killed the night a bit. Unfortunately, nobody in our audience (including me) had the nerve to ask the theater to turn it up. ####...

--There were 2 theaters for the event, and at about 6:59pm, my theater was not even half full. It seems they may have overestimated the market here in G'ville. BUT...a couple minutes into the show, the bus literally pulled up and a high school band rolled in. My theater ended up about 2/3 full...not sure about the other one...But the lack of interest at these theaters also kinda killed the enthusiasm too...

--I also thoroughly enjoyed the '74-'80 corps. But, as has been stated before, the gap from '80 to '89 was awkward. Interesting that they chose to show a short clip of The Cadets from the middle of the decade to "bridge the gap" a bit. While I fully understand and support DCI's decision to base the show on fan voting, I almost kinda wish they would have "doctored" the results a bit to get a more even progression through the years. Also, I took my SO (kinda new to corps but a big WGI fan) and he stated that almost half the night was basically 1970's drumcorps. I loved it, since I've seen very little drum corps from before 1985...I particularly enjoyed 27...but he got a little restless until SCV came on...

--The level of sophistication of the 1970's and 1980 groups surprised me...especially the visual design..

--The crowd was also a bit older than I had expected (save the band kids). Lots of BAC and Magic kids I think (from overheard conversations...)

--I do have a small beef with two production things: first, I wish there had been a little more time between the corps. There was very little time afforded to reacting to what we just saw and to get ready for the next corps. The most glaring example was moving from VK to Phantom. Opposite ends of the emotional spectrum...I was still giggling at the site gags from VK when Phantom started. I felt like a little kid who got in trouble and had to "shape up" to watch Phantom.

--The "surprise" was a bit disappointing. Please don't "surprise" me with something I see and hear dozens of times a year. I was expecting some big announcement or something like that...my fault for getting my hopes up I suppose...

Overall, we gave the experience a 6.5 out of 10.

M

96 Phantom's hornline - soooo much better than I remember - why did they bother with a drumline?

I lamented to my wife that no matter what quality of brass player Phantom continues to attract and no matter how much the technology of marching brass in Bb improves, the Phantom Regiment will never, ever again achieve the brass sound they did in 1996.

I'm not trying to rekindle the Bb/G argument here. The jury is in, the battle is finished, eventually you might not even hear a G hornline at DCA......time to quit whining about it and if (when?) the Renegades, Brigadiers, and Minnesota have all made the switch I'll just get my ratty member jacket and go to the house....or to the Great American Brass Band Festival!

I'm just saying that in the right hands a G hornline was a wonderous thing to behold........

and with Phantom that G hornline was ALWAYS in the right hands.

David

75 Scouts - Pure testosterone baby!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rifle bow gives me goosebumps everytime. That corps had a ton of confidence. It came right through the screen after 30 years.

Saw the show in a just under half-full auditorium in Greenville, SC.

Could not agree more with the confidence and vibrancy that still eminate from the 1975 Madison Scouts. When the soprano player finished his solo in MacArthur Park someone exclaimed "That guy's like 50 now!"

David