DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

I thought is was great seeing DCI on the big screen!!! The problem was that the theatre that I attended in Butler, PA, needed to turn it up a notch!!

Good Luck to all the corps preparing for this upcoming season!!!

Chuck

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see Star finish 3rd.

Star actually finished 4th last night. I was knida disappointed with the sound. I look at the post and it appears that some theaters had wonderful sound quality, while others were litttle to be desired. I went to Circle Center in Indy, and the sound was muffled at times, even on some of the impacts and sometimes you could not hear the middle voices at all. The 1989 SCV sounded better on the VCR tape when I watched it two weeks ago without surround sound than it did last night. I dont think it was a production problem, obviously it was a technical problem in the theater,..... i just do not understand why they did not fix it or do tests during the intermission? Oh well, better luck next time and I guess I will have to get the DVD's so I can get decappitated by sound. B)

The Brooklyn Center (suburb of Minneapolis) theater was full. I thought the sound quality was kinda sketchy, atleast until Spirit's show. The rest was pretty good, though it sounded like they compensated for the bass-heavy sound in 96 by cranking up the treble. Someone else mentioned the awkward gap between 1980 and 89, which I agree with...definitely would have picked one of the mid-80's Cadets shows to give context to the later shows. Seemed like the first really enthusiastic applause was for the rifle/flag feature in 27. That was sweet. My legs got tired just watching Anaheim's mark time. :P The cross-to-cross in 91 Star is the single BEST move ever and I love how the camera is at an angle at the end of the show. My head was spinning, too. The Cavaliers' drill...incredible. That they still played so well just amazes me.

And then 1996. Yeah!!

Michael Oldemeyer

Someone else mentioned the awkward gap between 1980 and 89, which I agree with...definitely would have picked one of the mid-80's Cadets shows to give context to the later shows.

They did talk about that a bit, and showed the clip of the Z-pull to at least show something between those years, but I guess since it was an audience voted show, they had little choice.

Mike

I was at the Sawgrass theater, in Sunrise, FL. Underwhelmed with the sound. Plenty of people complained, and I got up during VK (I have the DVD, plus there was sort of a hurry to get it done before Phantom '96) to go find a manager. When I told him that there was no surround sound on and the front speakers were pretty quiet, he said that they had plenty of complains, and had called up twice. He told me that they were getting a satellite feed and that there was no way to turn it up or put the surround sound on. At one point in the broadcast, I heard the volume go up for a few seconds, but then get lowered. I'm not too sure about this whole satellite thing, but I really was not musically blown away as I had hoped to be.

Corps was pretty well represented, about 2/3 of the theater was filled. I assume it was much more so crowded in Miami. Even though there's a theater there, we had a very large BAC majority, with Magic and Cadets people interspersed. I was told that there was a guy there who marched Madison '75, though I didn't get to meet him. Cadets '00 probably got the biggest ovation, I'd say. Pretty good fan participation, though I would have liked to see/hear more. Someone yelled "goooo Iiiiiannnn" at the beginning of Cadets 2000, and I could hear some of the BAC '00 vocals throughout the theater. I wore my Bluecoats shirt and my Magic jacket, and met up with a few (personally expected more though) people who I marched with in 2004. Overall, it was a good experience, but the sound really kept it from living up to my expectations. Without the surround sound, things like the America O' Canada just didn't really have any effect to me.

I also feel like mentioning....the gap between '80 27th and '89 SCV was really awkward. So much happened in between those two shows that wasn't covered. The spectators seemed quite ready when SCV came on; I didn't realize how fast they moved that year!

(Out of all the shows I hadn't seen before; the first 5....I liked 27th a lot.)

It was a full house in Marlborough, MA. I knew something was up with the sound when Spirit came out. It was so loud up to that point that I covered my ears as the DM counted Spirit off, but then realized it was not full throttle.

Still very, very enjoyable, thought we'd leave after 80 but stayed for the whole show.

The best compliment of the night was from a rifle from the East saying that up until last night her favorite rifle lines were BD 76-79, but had changed to 80 2-7. That made my night! I was a little shocked only because we were hidden much of the time in 80 as compared to 79!

...wait... you thought cadets '00 had superior brass but phantom '96 was blatty???

*confused face begins.......... now*

I also said the same thing. But I was also confused about the comment of 27th Lancers. How could you be in drum corps and think they were boring? Please..nothing boring about that corps. :) :sshh:

Edited by Lancerlady

I was at the Sawgrass theater, in Sunrise, FL. Underwhelmed with the sound.

Yeah, the sound just didn't kick through as I had hoped, but, heck, it was still a blast!

I was told that there was a guy there who marched Madison '75, though I didn't get to meet him.

That was me! :)

I dunno man, I think the show gets props now that it's ten years later.  Like an author who reaches the bestseller lists after he dies.  But I would agree that in 96 the show was understated to say the least.  I marched with a Division II that year, and I remember seeing Phantom early on in the season and thinking the show was much more boring than Adventures Under a Darkened Sky.  What a surprise finals night was when PR completely blew me away.

Like fine wine that's reached it's time...

Those kids just did an amazing job executing that show, in classic PR style. It's one I'd buy to see on video. I read another comment dissing the brass sound and their marching, but I remember watching and thinking how well they played and marched...what did I miss?? :blink: