DCI Classic Countdown leaves you dry.

We were also at the Sunrise theater. The first thing my husband said, where is the surround sound and volume. I can understand there being no surround sound for the earlier corps., but the '89 SCV and forward, there should have been surround sound. I asked several times for the volume to be turned up, but to no avail. It was hard hearing it at first and you had to tune in your ears. The ushers seemed more interested in counting the number of people in the theater. Ours was only 2/3 full.

The later corps gave you that "in the face" horn line. The most entertaining was VK of course. Had never seen it before and would love to see it again. A ton of talent on that field.

SCV by far my most favorite. Love that show.

Yes, there was a Madison Scout alumni from '75 in the crowd and we met him afterwards. Really nice guy and wished my son a lot of luck in the upcoming season.

Definitely will go again if they have one again next year.

Edited by DrumCorpMom

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attended in Hazelton, pa , about 50-60 in attendance.

My take on the sound, ex. 96 Phantom , 4 contras start the opener sound ok?,,,,, but it never grew to where it should have been when the whole line opens up. Didn't ask mgmt. to turn it up, pit/keyboards most likely would have been unbearable. It was like they had a decibel limiter on.

My take on the corps....I miss black boots!!

I'm really glad I went last night (Irvine Spectrum - Irvine, CA)...I originally heard that the theater was sold out (which it was), but thought I'd be able to get in anyway...which I was able to.

I was totally blown away by the audience in attendance - a wonderful mix of all the generations represented during the show...PLUS, it was great seeing the large number of Kingsmen alumni (they even took a group picture holding a Kingsmen flag from the '74 show).

The sound was actually pretty good (though, it ALWAYS could be louder).

One of the best parts of this show was that there were many times during the show when it actually felt like I was at a stadium watching this...people yelling (love the "Play it, 27!" right before the hit in Danny Boy), laughing (VK...Now THAT'S Art), and cheering wildly.

As for the corps:

Kingsmen - Nobody marks time like that, anymore. The high school kids here were gasping at the sight of it.

Madison - Now THATS a loud hornline!!!

BD - The North Drums were unique, and the show - awesome!

Spirit - I forgot that Jim Ott passed away during the season. Let it be Me...very emotional.

27th Lancers - I now fully appreciate this show...early Zingali was still great stuff.

SCV - I remember my reaction when they were announced as winners...I hit my head on the ceiling from jumping so ecstaticly. What a show...simply stunning.

Star - I never really liked Star...just didn't like the fact they were a fully funded corps. My opinion has changed...what they accomplished was amazing...and this show was superb. Between the running middle horns and the running drill, I'm a convert.

VK - We need them back...or, at least get another excellent and funny corps on the field (Impluse and Jersey Surf are getting there, but not quite there yet). This show was both good AND funny...great talent and creativity. Come back, VK!

Phantom - OMG...This show was haunting, beautiful and INTENSE!!! I need to get the '96 DVD and watch this again, and again, and again...you get the idea!

Boston - while I liked this show and was happy to finally see them in finals, I really didn't think this show should have been included. I know they were voted in, but (IMHO) they are not quite on the level of the other shows here.

Cadets - This show was wonderful. And, while the music wasn't readily recognizable, it was still great to listen to...and the final piece really was great at drawing the audience in and making us feel a part of the show.

Cavaliers - OK, I didn't particularly care for the music, but Cesario was right...you need to see AND hear this show together to "get it." And, boy, did I get it.

All in all, some absolute great stuff...and, I'm really glad that DCI is doing this theater thing...can't wait for quarterfinals in August...BRAVO DCI!!!

Edited by Marc66

Most eye watering moment of the evening....seeing VK's neon-pee-green-drums-that-Helen-Keller-could-see-AND-hear REALLY ####### BIG!!!!

My GOD, that hurt....but it hurt so good....

We need that kind of corps back in Div I

Edited by 84BDsop

Like fine wine that's reached it's time...

Those kids just did an amazing job executing that show, in classic PR style.  It's one I'd buy to see on video.  I read another comment dissing the brass sound and their marching, but I remember watching and thinking how well they played and marched...what did I miss?? :blink:

Definately wasn't dissing on PR as their 96 finals performace is my all time favorite. Was just pointing out that early on in the 96 season they weren't expected to win. I think it was more that the program design and theme wasn't necessarily tangible to most of the audience when compared to American West or Gangster Chronicals. It was really the type of show that required near perfect execution and talent to win. and PR of 96 definately pulled it off when it really counted.

Boston - while I liked this show and was happy to finally see them in finals, I really didn't think this show should have been included.  I know they were voted in, but (IMHO) they are not quite on the level of the other shows here.

Totally concure. Was really surprised to see them in the lineup and to see how many votes they recieved. I mean, it wasn't a bad show; it was just okay. There was nothing really novel about the show that added to the history of drum crops that the rest of the corps seemed to add. Still, I think 2000s was the hardest decade to vote for as I had put many of the big leages early on and Cavies really has been the dominant corps the last five years.

I'm really glad I went last night (Irvine Spectrum - Irvine, CA)...I originally heard that the theater was sold out (which it was), but thought I'd be able to get in anyway...which I was able to.

:( :( :( Marc!! I got down there at 4:15pm (w/o your NEW cell #) and was told EMPHATICALLY by the manager and some other "official" guy later that it was sold out, and no, they weren't opening up another theater like they did for quarters. So I stood around and kibitzed with an old Vanguard friend, shook hands with Jack Bevins (former VK director), saw the immortal Greg Clarke from afar and wondered if any "kid" in the audience would realize the genius of Clarke that would be sitting in the theater with them...and then, dejected...left. I was told early this morning at a local Starbucks by a certain corps horn instructor that I just HAPPENED to run into that someone was actually at the theater HANDING OUT EXTRA TICKETS, and what's worse...

THERE WERE SEVERAL EMPTY SEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Oh joy....oh rapture...while I was meandering through Orange County to get back to my domicile, I COULD have been partying with you guys. If I ONLY stayed a little longer....sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh....

The volume started out low but one polite patron asked for more volume and we all benefited :blink: .

Nice job Tom Blair, except I thought we needed the 3d glasses during The Kingsmen show, I guess 30 years takes its toll on film.

Here in Baton Rouge, LA, we had the opposite effect. They turned the volume down after intermission because someone complained that it was to loud.

Crowd was mixed and about 2/3 of the theater was full. You could tell from the pre-show cheers who marched when. (When did they stop saying Splooie?) Overall, nearly everyone seemed to enjoy the overview. I was impressed by those corps, like 27th, that I have heard often but never seen.