Maynard & Joey in North Collins/Review

Tuesday night proved to be a night to remember. The North Collins Jazz Ensemble opened the evening and did a very fine job under the direction of their teacher and band leader Jill Dueringer. Reggie Watkins - trombone and music director for Maynard's Band, took the stage and performed 2 of his original compositions. This young man (age 33) along with his 4 of his accomplished musician sidekicks left the crowd yearning for more. Following a short intermission, Maynard came out in a finely pressed brown suit and opened the eveing with a composition called "I Love You". I had the pleasure of sitting in the 2nd row, the first row occupied by N. Collins Jazz Ensemble. From this vantage point it was easy to see these young musicians from N Collins were totally affixed to the top notch performance on stage. The brass section was incredibly tight the entire evening. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fine drumming laid down by Stockton Helbing along with phenominal piano & keyboard by Ji Young Lee and bass work by Eun-Chang Choi. Maynard was phenominal. The band members tell me he is playing better than ever and I was witness to it. I first saw Maynard back in the early 70's and he hasn't skipped a beat. Maynard introduced "Joey Pero" and had a little fun with his Italian background, noting Joey was the only Italian in the band. He then mentioned that Joey's Dad was in the audience (the first concent his Dad has been able to attend). Joey then came stage front, NAILED the MacArthur Park opening statement with a HUGE SOUND....jumped the octave......finished the solo with a perfect performance on this front and center call. The trumpet section finished the show with "HEY JUDE". All three trumpets Patrick Hesson ; Pete Feguson ; Joey Pero were in the crowd and finished up this evenings stellar performance. I would highly encourage an evening well spent when they come to a city near you. GREAT JOB to all the performers and "GOD BLESS MAYNARD"

Tuesday night proved to be a night to remember.  The North Collins Jazz Ensemble opened the evening and did a very fine job under the direction of their teacher and band leader Jill Dueringer.  Reggie Watkins - trombone and music director for Maynard's Band, took the stage and performed 2 of his original compositions.  This young man (age 33) along with his 4 of his accomplished musician sidekicks left the crowd yearning for more.  Following a short intermission, Maynard came out in a finely pressed brown suit and opened the evening with a composition called "I Love You".  I had the pleasure of sitting in the 2nd row, the first row occupied by N. Collins Jazz Ensemble.  From this vantage point it was easy to see these young musicians from N Collins were totally affixed to the top notch performance on stage.  The brass section was incredibly tight the entire evening.  I would be remiss if I didn't mention the fine drumming laid down by Stockton Helbing along with phenominal piano & keyboard by Ji Young Lee and bass work by Eun-Chang Choi.  Maynard was phenomenal.  The band members tell me he is playing better than ever and I was witness to it.  I first saw Maynard back in the early 70's and he hasn't skipped a beat.  Maynard introduced "Joey Pero" and had a little fun with his Italian background, noting Joey was the only Italian in the band.  He then mentioned that Joey's Dad was in the audience (the first concept his Dad has been able to attend).  Joey then came stage front, NAILED the MacArthur Park opening statement with a HUGE SOUND....jumped the octave......finished the solo with a perfect performance on this front and center call.  The trumpet section finished the show with "HEY JUDE".  All three trumpets Patrick Hesson ; Pete Feguson ; Joey Pero were in the crowd and finished up this evenings stellar performance.  I would highly encourage an evening well spent when they come to a city near you.  GREAT JOB to all the performers and "GOD BLESS MAYNARD"

I am sure it was a great show.

I have been watching the schedule and realized that Joey(dartman) :blink: was close to home.I was hoping his dad could catch the act.

Sounds like fun.I got to see them 3 weeks ago in Oak Ridge.What a show.Joey is a class act and its great to be able to call him a freind.

BTW Maynard does sound better than he has in the last couple of years.I never miss a chance to see him and his sound seems so much fuller and round than it did two years ago.One of the members told me the Monette horn he is playing has really helped him.If thats the case I am ready to unload about $8800 for one of those bad boys. b**bs

Moving to Reviews forum.

It was a great show, the band was on fire!!!!! it was the best i've seen them in a while, also it was fun meeting a bunch of new people, sorry I couldn't hang after the show....hopefully some other time!!!

It was a great show, the band was on fire!!!!! it was the best i've seen them in a while, also it was fun meeting a bunch of new people, sorry I couldn't hang after the show....hopefully some other time!!!

Its the best Maynard band I have heard in the last 5 or so years.These guys are clicking like no other.

Great bunch of musicians.

Joey then came stage front, NAILED the MacArthur Park opening statement with a HUGE SOUND....jumped the octave......finished the solo with a perfect performance on this front and center call. 

My all-time favorite Maynard chart. Love the version on the "Live at Jimmy's" album!

The trumpet section finished the show with "HEY JUDE".  All three trumpets Patrick Hesson ; Pete Feguson ; Joey Pero were in the crowd and finished up this evenings stellar performance.  I would highly encourage an evening well spent when they come to a city near you.  GREAT JOB to all the performers and "GOD BLESS MAYNARD"

Ah! That's the classic way Maynard ends "Hey Jude", going back to the early 70's!

What an awesome show!

Mike

I'm so thrilled to know that Maynard is still making a difference out there. I'm 39yrs old, and I first saw him in 1978 when I was 12 yrs old at Knott's Berry Farm. I would catch him EVERY time he came to southern California, and then, in 1983, was able to get the nuts enough to approach my band director and band booster club about getting Maynard to perform at my high school. What an experience to be a part of promoting that while in high school--writing radio scripts, developing posters, talking to his agency--it was an awesome experience. Only to be capped off by me and my 3 friends that were spearheading this were taking back stage to meet Maynard in person after the show as a special gift to us for our hard work. I had died and gone to heaven. I met with Maynard and shook his hand!!

That magic he has about him has never left...and there's nothing like being in an auditorium full of fellow Fanaddicts for Ferguson and screaming our ##### off when he hits the stage playing "Rocky"!!!

What a showman!!

I'm so thrilled to know that Maynard is still making a difference out there.  I'm 39yrs old, and I first saw him in 1978 when I was 12 yrs old at Knott's Berry Farm.  I would catch him EVERY time he came to southern California, and then, in 1983, was able to get the nuts enough to approach my band director and band booster club about getting Maynard to perform at my high school.  What an experience to be a part of promoting that while in high school--writing radio scripts, developing posters, talking to his agency--it was an awesome experience.  Only to be capped off by me and my 3 friends that were spearheading this were taking back stage to meet Maynard in person after the show as a special gift to us for our hard work.  I had died and gone to heaven.  I met with Maynard and shook his hand!! 

That magic he has about him has never left...and there's nothing like being in an auditorium full of fellow Fanaddicts for Ferguson and screaming our ##### off when he hits the stage playing "Rocky"!!!

What a showman!!

"Joey & Maynard":

See the great Maynard Furgerson Orchestra, complete with drum corps OWN Joey Pero at the June 25 2005 Barnum Festival's "Parade of Champions" Alumni show at Harbor Yards Stadium, Bridgeport Connecticut.

Elphaba

Saw Maynard in 1979 at Shea's in Buffalo. Bobby Millitello playing Bari Sax and Flute. That was when he had the big band...way cool!

Saw Maynard in 1979 at Shea's in Buffalo.  Bobby Millitello playing Bari Sax and Flute.  That was when he had the big band...way cool!

Bruce Johnston was his bari player in his big band when I saw him in the early 70's....what a great player...he's the soloist on "MacArthur's Park" on the "Live at Jimmy's" album.

I have an old Maynard album from the late 60's....Lew Soloff, later the trumpet player in BS&T, is listed as one of the trunmpets in his band.

Mike