Biggest messups in DCI history?

Sam,

I have to say, eventhough it's DCA, Dream's color guard uniforms from last year resembled a gay pride parade. But, you left no doubt who the "color" guard was from Dream. :P By the way, your shades are much better than those cheap white-rim ones that the dude from BD, in 1987, was wearing, while playing the timpani. BD's color guard unis at the start of their 1992 show were also hideous.

Those are a few examples of huge fashion messups in Drum corps.

Can't leave out Phantom's beige mistake

Edited by crfrey71

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George N. Parks showed us a 1979 video of when he was drum major of the Reading Buccaneers during our Drum Major camp in Illinois. If any of you don't know of him, he is a very eccentric man, which showed a lot while he was conducting.

In the video he showed us (which I believe was from DCA Championships), a guard member literally fainted while performing the show, and while the show was still going on, Parks jumped down from his podium as one of the Asst. DM's ran over to center, and he ran over to the fainted guard member to help her and carry her off with the parametrics (is that the right word?) in a stretcher. He then jumped back up on the podium and conducted the rest of the show.

:music: What an amazing man...here's an interesting blurb on him on the Buc website:

"George joined the Buccaneers as a contrabass player in 1974. From 1975-1987 he reigned over the Drum Major community as the “Mace Bering Professor”. Truly the ultimate field general, George’s leadership on and off the field is exemplary. Those who marched with him or watched him perform always saw the fire in his eyes and an unparalleled intensity for performance excellence. Audiences were thrilled by the aerial work of his spinning mace. He truly embodies the spirit of what it means to be a Buccaneer. George is a member of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame, and is the founder of the George N. Parks Drum Major Academy, a national leadership summer program for marching youth held at various sites around the country. He is also the director of the University of Massachusetts Minutemen Marching Band."

Sam,

I have to say, eventhough it's DCA, Dream's color guard uniforms from last year resembled a gay pride parade. But, you left no doubt who the "color" guard was from Dream.

Tell me about it...a whole buncha colors not found in nature!

:P By the way, your shades are much better than those cheap white-rim ones that the dude from BD, in 1987, was wearing, while playing the timpani.

heh...thanks....the wonders of auto tinting film!

BD's color guard unis at the start of their 1992 show were also hideous.

Actually, I thought the 90 unis were worse...TERRIBLY unforgiving of body flaws...

How about Cadets 96 when the guy drops a FLAG toss during the big yellow flag feature...eech.

Or...SCV '01...the "clocks" flag feature...the guy looses it terribly.

The Cadets rifle drop during the silent rifle feature in 2001. Man I felt bad for that guy.

three things recently come to mind.

The horendous fall by the cadets tuba player in I believe 2000

2004 crossmen rifle drop that left the young lady stuck in the horns drill

2005 Phantom regiment, the rifle drop that was so impossible to recover that she had to run through the wrong hole in the drill.

2005  Phantom regiment,  the rifle drop that was so impossible to recover that she had to run through the wrong hole in the drill.

Wow......time travel......are you Michael J. Fox??? :P

And if so, can I borrow your car? B)

(adapted from The History of the Cavaliers, at www.cavaliers.org. Thank you Scott Seal)

The Cavaliers thought that 1987 was THE Year for the corps. We had steadily climbed the DCI ladder the past five years and the next, most obvious step was to win a national title.

We talked about it, we trained for it and geared up for it. We rolled through first tour undefeated in 16 shows, and led our Midwest competitors by over 3 points. We traveled west to Drums Along the Rockies for the corps' biggest showdown in a decade, against the similarly undefeated Vanguard, and defending champion Blue Devils. We were confident, and a little cocky.

After a somewhat nervous performance of our opener, we recovered with a great rendition of our popular Variations on a Korean Folk Song production. We had the audience in the palms of our hands, and then . . .

We fell flat on our faces.

One of the contra players played the first note of that year's closer, Holsinger's Liturgical Dances, one full count early in the fullest of fortes. Everyone heard it... the audience, the corps, EVERYONE. We were deflated, distracted and totally knocked off our game. We struggled to the end of the show and slinked off the field, trying to pretend that what had just happened, did not.

Jeff Fiedler's famous quote after the show was, "Quite honestly, a mistake like that will lose you Nationals." Jeff, of course, was right, as the previously undefeated, wanna-be champions were smoked by five points that day, placing third.

Without question, that one huge mistake, and the fear that it could happen again, affected us for the rest of the season, and possibly beyond. The day before it happened, we thought we were contenders. Afterwards, we struggled with our confidence until the last day of the season, placing fifth at semi-finals before recovering for a third place finish. That one mistake completely changed the course of the season, or at least many of us felt that way. That's why I would call it one of the biggest messups in DCI history.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA