Biggest messups in DCI history?

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered when this was going to come up. Like the BD soloist in '89, Phantom's dropped-equipment penalty from '78 strikes me as another unfair singling-out of an individual (not by you; I understand that all you're doing is bringing up what others have said). This wasn't Phantom's "rifle drop" loss to Santa Clara, and certainly no one in Phantom blamed her for that. The only people "blaming" the loss on a rifle drop were people in the audience, so I don't think that's a very realistic assessment of why one corps won over another.

I can remember people saying, "If she hadn't dropped, they would've tied!" Well, good grief, one less tick by anyone else in the corps would have tied them, too. Two fewer ticks, and they would've won. Why single out the rifle drop? (Can you tell this still raises my blood pressure?)

I agree with you and I don't think it was fair that this member became such a stigma when this happened in 1978 but I, who marched in Madison throughout the 80's, always heard the story about the 1978 Phantom guard member who dropped at DCI and that it was supposed to be a really devastating thing for her as well as the corp and I think alot of people held her responsible for losing that year.

I do agree with assessment though, obviously it would of been a tie anyways and like I mentioned in my original post there were other members out there that were guilty of ticking you should heard so much about "the phantom rifle that dropped in finals in 1978" Poor thing, wonder where she is now?????

This was no major biggie, but this year at San Antonio Regionals a bass player in Esperanza fell and his bell came off. A judge picked it up and got it off the field.

i have a question about the bd 89 solo... on the dvd is it the actual one with the mess up or is it like the one on season pass where it's dubbed?? I've heard the original but was curious if DCI has edited that for good.

IIRC, it isn't edited. They just used the quarters or semis recording instead of the finals recording.

I agree with you and I don't think it was fair that this member became such a stigma when this happened in 1978 but I, who marched in Madison throughout the 80's, always heard the story about the 1978 Phantom guard member who dropped at DCI and that it was supposed to be a really devastating thing for her as well as the corp and I think alot of people held her responsible for losing that year.

If you mean people in Phantom, I've asked that question before, I believe both here on DCP and over in RAMD, and was told by Phantom members that no one in the corps blamed her . . . though yes, she was very hard on herself. That immediate reaction was shown on the telecast, her sobbing and the rifle line gathering around her in support. And, of course, those of us who were there witnessed it. I would imagine that yes, it was very hard for her to take, and that's the kind of thing I wonder if people ever really get over. But that doesn't mean that we, people outside the corps, have to exaggerate it into a bigger deduction than it was. It was a tenth of point, just like every other tick. No more, no less.

How about the end of 1984 Garfield Cadets West Side Story show in WHitewater, WI? The final S-pull where a Soprano fell down starting a domino effect with 4-5 other sops falling right on top of him!

none of these are the biggest in history for sure, but some of the most memorable in my experience...

the whole madison thing at DVC in '02 with the entrance was bad, we could see it all the way from the staging area. and the crowd was LAUGHING. it sucked because it was billed as "the first time madison had been west in how many years blah blah." i was talking to a snare player after the show and he said the whole show went south after that. there was some sort of other messup on the front sideline with a contra falling down and really bowing a formation because members were waiting for him to get up or something like that too.

in all the uniforms mentioned, i'm surprised nobody's pulled out a certain tour-de-france reject guard uniform recently donned by a certain all-male corp that's won quite a few championships recently. ouch.

the bd tenor player thing from last year was something to see, but since it was technically after the show was over, it's really not that big a deal. as i understand it, there was a level change there and well...he didn't.

while we're on BD tenor players, this one is hardly a big messup but in the "surprise" tag ending of BD's 2000 show, a certain unnamed tenor player whips out his sticks ON the horn trill, realizes he's early, and goes into "oh s***!" mode. that one cracks me up EVERY time.

i've only seen it on video, but the mandarins color guard wardrobe malfunction in my opinion is more a testament to the extreme devotion and concentration of the performers involved. a bunch of my friends were in the stands for that and they said people were ooh'ing and ahh'ing, taking pictures and video (my friends included), and she stood the there the whole time. now THAT is hardcore.

well its not a mess up but funny....if you watch 97 SCV, I think its the opening tune or 2nd one....while the whole corp  is doing different visuals one of them decided to do the running man.....its looks hilarious.

Forgot to say that it was a tenor player jumpingup and down doing the running man.

Yeah I saw the 2000 tenor player also cracks me up

How about the end of 1984 Garfield Cadets West Side Story show in WHitewater, WI?  The final S-pull where a Soprano fell down starting a domino effect with 4-5 other sops falling right on top of him!

I seem to remember a very similiar thing happening to Madison in 88 at DCI South in Birmingham (either pre-lims or finals). When they began to unwind the spiral at the end of Malaguena, the line that pulled down along the right front sideline had the same kinda thing happen. Somebody fell and then a pileup of several guys because everybody was backing away from the 50 yd line along the front sideline.

I think they all made it back up and in place before the final chord though. Anybody else remember that?

It was 2001 I think at the BD home show and a girl in the Mandarins Guard had her top fall down exposing her breasts during a company front halt thing.  She held it there for a good 15 seconds and I couldn't believe what I saw but then she went on with the show and her next throw she NAILED IT!

That was the best recovery from an embarrassing slip up I have ever seen!

:worthy:

***torn8o grabs his spoon to stir the pot***

Now had that happened to one of the top 5 corps durring finals or better yet- quarter finals where they air it live in the movie theatres- DCI would have the same problem the superbowl had a few years ago.

***did I actually say that or just think it***

Edited by torn8o