Your Corps best staff

Read carefully.......

In the years that you were in corps, there was a certain mix to your staff that worked for your corps. Who were the staff that made your corps successful?

This does not mean that only top 12 corps take part in this, it doesn't matter.

My corps, The Royal Coachmen (NY) had its best season in 1976 and its last. But throughout the winter leading up to the '76 season our corps director John Hathaway brought together a great group of staff people to lead us to our first successful season.

Brass Arranger/Instructor....Ted Key

Percussion Arranger............Bill Decker

Percussion Instructors.........Doug Kleinhans and Marvin Newton

Marching/Drill Design..........Bob Stone

Rifles................................. Sue Plummer and Amy Colkitt

Guard................................Can't remember her name, was from Canada and never saw her again after Philly.

Lets see yours

Brass Arranger/Instructor....Jim Wedge

Percussion Arranger............Charles Poole

Percussion Instructors.........xxxxxxxxx

Marching/Drill Design..........George Zingali

Rifles................................. Denise Bonfiglio

Guard................................Peggy Twiggs

However, add onto to that Jim Elvord, Mike Kuma, Joe Marella, Ralph Pace.

They added much to the corps however our most successful year that I marched was 1980 and I've listed those on top.

Edited by LancerFi

1983 Garfield Cadets

Brass: Jim Prime, Jr.arranger/instructor

Don Van Doren, caption head

Percussion: Thom Hannum, arranger/caption head

Visual: George Zingali, designer/caption head

Mark Sylvester, instrictor

Color Guard: Peggy Twiggs, caption head/instructor

Program Coordinator: Michael Cesario

Director: George Hopkins

Together they orchestrated the first DCI Champion from the east coast, an "800 lb gorilla" in 1984, and the first threepeat in DCI historyl

Every single one of them are members of the DCI Hall of Fame today (Peggy Twiggs 2005 Inductee).

1971 Garfield Cadets

Brass: Frand Dorittie, arranger/instructor

Larry Schillings, instructor (arranged one piece)

Percussion: George Tuthill, arranger/instructor

Visual: Bobby Hoffman, designer/instructor

Pete Emmons, instructor (focussed a lot on guard)

Ray Capicelli, instructor

Director: Hugh Mahon

They added much to the corps however our most successful year that I marched was 1980 and I've listed those on top.

Our 1980 techs included:

Horns: Brian Cassie, Vinnie Barry

Drill: John Bodie, (LancerFi help me here.......???)

Drums: Jack Cash snares, Scott Stannard drumline drill, Art Fabrizio keys/timps, Jimmy Cunniff cymbals, Mike Maniscalco toms and Jim Hager Spaceline b**bs

Visual/Guard: Gerry Coradino, Larry Ciccatelli

Many people are aware of the '78-'80 Spirit corps. Two current Hall of Famers drove that bus instructionally during those years, Tom Float and the late Jim Ott and produced some strong and one legendary corps.

Many are NOT aware however of some of the wonderful staff people that helped rejuvenate the corps and produced some wonderful drum corps memories from 1983 through the end of the Decade.

Freddy Martin remained as Corps Director and also took over the Brass Caption through the majority of the 80's. The arranger changed several times, but with the exception of 1985 (when his wife was due to give birth in August) Freddy was the horn sound of the 80's. During that time, he also served on the DCI Board of Directors in various offices along with Gail Royer, Scott Stewart, Hopkins, Moxley etc.... helping guide the activity back from the financial disaster that was Miami

Mike Back took over the drumline in '82 when Float departed and came into his own through the 80's, producing some lines that made a serious run at the drum trophy on a couple of occasions.

Brad Caraway took over the marching caption in 1982 as well and built a strong visual performance program in those years while also managing the corps during the winter along with Jim Clark and Dee Dee Nolin. Under his guidance, visual performance went from a weakness to a strength for the corps and his guidance and individual attention to the members was something that no one that ever marched will forget.

Sal Salas and the late Tam Easterwood were lured from Madison to join Brad in 1983 and planted the seeds that would revolutionize the guard world in the mid 80's. Sal's wife, LuAnne was also a major positive for the visual program in that era. The addition of Scott Chandler to the staff in '84 completed the revamping of the guard and visual program and truly changed the activity in a couple of ways during that time.

This core team of people surrounded themselves with good techs as well, but every year we returned, we saw the same familiar faces and built on the technique programs and style they had instilled in us.

Currently only one of those is a Hall of Fame member (Scott Chandler) but I would guess in coming years, you will see at least a couple more of those people recognized for their contribution to the activity, both then and now.

On behalf of all of us who had the opportunity to march in those corps, Thanks to each of those people who gave us that experience..... It's one none of us could ever forget.

Later, AA

Just want to add John Bodie and Marc Sylvester as the visual execution guys who made it all work for us horn guys.

Our 1980 techs included:

Horns: Brian Cassie, Vinnie Barry

Drill: John Bodie, (LancerFi help me here.......???)

Drums: Jack Cash snares, Scott Stannard drumline drill, Art Fabrizio keys/timps, Jimmy Cunniff cymbals, Mike Maniscalco toms and Jim Hager Spaceline b**bs

Visual/Guard: Gerry Coradino, Larry Ciccatelli

Jim,

see my previous post.

Horn arranger/ instructor.... Gail Royer

Percussion arranger/ instructor.... Fred Sanford

Drill designer/ marching instructor/ guard.... Pete Emmons

Special mention to Don Angelica and "Chops" (I don't know how to spell his name but, you all know). Also, Alums Scott Pierson and Mike Hale.

It's interesting for our guard because we didn't have a specific "caption head" or designer. Pete would let us know what he wanted and then the Captain and "lead" rifle would make up the work along with input from the rest of the girls. Seemed to work well as we managed to obtain high visual scores.

In my case: '70-'71 G.C. Ernie Modessett. '72-'74, G.C. Patrice Alvarado, then '75 G.C.s, Myself and Judy Edwards. And for the first time in Santa Clara history, someone who wasn't "in" the guard, the great Stanley Knaub who did both flag and rifle design.

1975 Madison Scouts

Director: Bill Howard

Program coordinator/head brass instructor: Jim Elvord

Brass arranger: Ray Baumgardt

Brass instructors: Jim Elvord (head), Craig Aswegan, Tom MacInvalle

Percussion arranger: Bruce Lages

Percussion instructors: Mike Madigan and Lyle Siggelkow

Head drill designer: David St. Angel

M&M staff: Paul Litteau, Joe Miller, Phinis Horton, Charlie Maas, Rick Elvord, Karson Klund, and Frank Godfrey, with Bob Wenderski as special drill consultant.

Head color guard instructor: Jeff Knupp

Head guard designers: Sal Salas and John Michaelson