Your Corps best staff

GHOST - a name (and spirit) from the past. If my memory serves me correctly - he was originally a Boston Crusader that moved west.

...Bill Lindman (I think!). I had many a "discussion" with him. Didn't know his real name back then but I searched him out after diggin' on his Argonaut drumline one of those (heh) years. Forward thinker, that's for sure. The Oregonian did an article on him and exposed his "real" moniker.

Tom Lizotte helped out our hornline, specifically the baris.

I owe my life long love of jazz to to him.

Steve Volpe did our drums and after worked with Rockland.

Don't know where else he went but he was a very intense guy and was responsible for our drum line placing so high in 1980.

It wasn't until recently when I got my hands on recordings from that year that I realized how good our drumline was.

Edited by dckid80

I don't remember Larry being there in 1980 at all, sorry.  Mark Sylvester was drill, not just for horns, but guard as well, one had the #1 side the other #2....and I thought Mike M. left after 79....I just don't remember from year to year.  It was a small staff by todays standards I think!

Mark was side 1 and John was side 2 (my side- the love and peace side as we called it). I didn't slight you guys intentionally. I knew they worked with the guard as well.

Wasn't Joanna Avila guard Captian at one time?

Yes, she was for a short time. After the '73 Summer season she was diagnosed with Cancer. It looked like she was doing fairly well and was chosen as Guard Captain right before the Winter Guard season of '73-'74. Unfortunately, she took a turn for the worse soon into the season. We lost her shortly after that and Patrice Alvarado was asked to come back and fill in for her. It was so sad, and I believe that we lost a potentially great Captain as she had a wonderful presence about her. Quiet but strong and a true Vanguard. RIP Joanna...

...Bill Lindman (I think!).  I had many a "discussion" with him.  Didn't know his real name back then but I searched him out after diggin' on his Argonaut drumline one of those (heh) years.  Forward thinker, that's for sure.  The Oregonian did an article on him and exposed his "real" moniker.

Thanks for the compliment regarding our drumline. But the "(heh)" confused me a little. So now I have to biznatch smack you! :P

Star '91

Music Director: Jim Prime, Jr.

Visual Director: Dr. Len Kruszecki

Brass Arranger: Jim Prime, Jr.

Brass Staff: Don VanDoren, Jim Prime, Trent Evans, Barry Hudson, Matt Jenkins, Steve Scully

Percussion Arrangers: Bob Dubinski, Thom Hannum

Percussion Staff: Bob Dubinski, Thom Hannum, Brent Montgomery, Chris Lee, Pat Scolin, Dan Hostetler, Joe Gaudet, John Corley

Visual Designers: Todd Ryan, George Zingali, Dr. Len Kruszecki

Visual Staff: Bob Medworth, Todd Ryan, Pat Butler, Ken Karlin, Kevin Schussler, Tom Strachen, George Zingali, Sandi Butz, Steve Suslik, Joseph Keays

Auxiliary Designer: Jeff Wroblewski

Auxiliary Staff: Jeff Wroblewski, Kristi Avilla, Lee Ann Evans

Edited by jminton

Many people are aware of the '78-'80 Spirit corps.  Two current Hall of Famers drove that bus instructionally during those years, Tom Float and the late Jim Ott and produced some strong and one legendary corps.

Many are NOT aware however of some of the wonderful staff people that helped rejuvenate the corps and produced some wonderful drum corps memories from 1983 through the end of the Decade.

Freddy Martin remained as Corps Director and also took over the Brass Caption through the majority of the 80's.  The arranger changed several times, but with the exception of 1985 (when his wife was due to give birth in August) Freddy was the horn sound of the 80's.  During that time, he also served on the DCI Board of Directors in various offices along with Gail Royer, Scott Stewart, Hopkins, Moxley etc.... helping guide the activity back from the financial disaster that was Miami

Mike Back took over the drumline in '82 when Float departed and came into his own through the 80's, producing some lines that made a serious run at the drum trophy on a couple of occasions. 

Brad Caraway took over the marching caption in 1982 as well and built a strong visual performance program in those years while also managing the corps during the winter along with Jim Clark and Dee Dee Nolin.  Under his guidance, visual performance went from a weakness to a strength for the corps and his guidance and individual attention to the members was something that no one that ever marched will forget.

Sal Salas and the late Tam Easterwood were lured from Madison to join Brad in 1983 and planted the seeds that would revolutionize the guard world in the mid 80's.  Sal's wife, LuAnne was also a major positive for the visual program in that era.  The addition of Scott Chandler to the staff in '84 completed the revamping of the guard and visual program and truly changed the activity in a couple of ways during that time. 

This core team of people surrounded themselves with good techs as well, but every year we returned, we saw the same familiar faces and built on the technique programs and style they had instilled in us. 

Currently only one of those is a Hall of Fame member (Scott Chandler) but I would guess in coming years, you will see at least a couple more of those people recognized for their contribution to the activity, both then and now.

On behalf of all of us who had the opportunity to march in those corps, Thanks to each of those people who gave us that experience..... It's one none of us could ever forget.

Later, AA

Thanks for that post Alan.. :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Star '91

Percussion Arrangers: Bob Dubinski, Thom Hannum

Percussion Staff: Bob Dubinski, Thom Hannum, Brent Montgomery, Chris Lee, Pat Scolin, Dan Hostetler, Joe Gaudet, John Corley

Bob Dubinski's first year on snare was in Garfield, 1972, as a very young guy!!!

Mike

Can't put on a full staff, but kudos to Bill Wear who was the arrainger, brass caption head, & did some M&M instruction for Expressions. Our Horn God led by example, besides being a screamer who could play just about anything brass, woodwind, and percussion.

On the flip side there was Kenny. Ah, Kenny who so desperatly wanted to help but marched worse than we did, played worse than we did, couldn't cook, and couldn't sew. They put him in M&M because that was where he could do the least dammage, as someone often followed him and correccted his instructions.

Bob Dubinski's first year on snare was in Garfield, 1972, as a very young guy!!!

Mike

...and his dad drove Bus #1...his handle "The Wagon Master"!

Visual Staff: Bob Medworth, Todd Ryan, Pat Butler, Ken Karlin, Kevin Schussler, Tom Strachen, George Zingali, Sandi Butz, Steve Suslik, Joseph Keays

Tom Strachen...whatever became of him????