Your Corps best staff

I know Larry C was there in 1980 - because I wasn't there in 1979. Maybe he was not an offical staff member or not but he was there throughout the summer at the beach - I'd have to check my yearbook.

As for Mike M - he didn't do much in the summer of 80. I split some time on tour taking the tom line. He did go to 5 shows - and JM will testify to this - Mike was our "bad luck charm." He went to the Malden show (lost to Madison), CYO, Bayonne the night before Allentown, and then Birmingham prelims and finals.

When was Digga's girlfriend on her roller blades down at the beach - was that 80 or 81? Either way - I miss the Wall and Kelly's !!!!!!!!!!!

As a few other ex-Vanguard members have posted, we had great instructors. Do you wonder why Santa Clara exploded on the scene so quickly? Between 1968-1970 these people were either our full-time instructors, or spent considerable time developing and working with us:

Gail Royer - Director, brass instructor, heart & soul

Pete Emmons - M&M, show designer, led us to the promised land, ex-Trooper

Fred Sanford - drums, everybody's best friend, ex-Trooper

Jack Meehan - brass instructor, set the bar very high for us, ex-Trooper

Gene Monterastelli - M&M, ex-Trooper

Don Angelica - brass instructor, drum corps God

Gary Czapinski - brass instructor, showed us how to be cool and kick butt.

Bob Kalkoffen - drums

1971 Diplomats Staff:

Ron Housley, staff arranger and brass instructor

Stanley Knaub, M&M and Guard

Will Polacek, percussion

Ben Hermasillo, percussion asst.

Brass arrangements by Don Angelica and Ron Housley.

Oh, and two bars of mellophones in JC Superstar concert courtesy of Gail Royer....coolest licks in the whole show.

To quote Angelica at the exact time of their writing: "Oh, Gail! That's sooooooo Jewish!"

RON HOUSLEY

"Hey, I can see

my name from here!"

Edited by ffernbus3

As a few other ex-Vanguard members have posted, we had great instructors. Do you wonder why Santa Clara exploded on the scene so quickly? Between 1968-1970 these people were either our full-time instructors, or spent considerable time developing and working with us:

Bob Kalkoffen - drums

Bob Kalkofen also ex-Trooper and I&E champion

It was my privilage and it was an honor to have been under the care and tutalage of

Percussion arranger - Fred Sanford

Percussion Tech. - Bob Kalkofen

When I was with Santa Clara.

It also has been an honor to know and to have worked under

Percussion arranger and tech. - Michael Ellerby

When I was with the Anaheim Kingsmen.

Does anyone know what ever happened to Bob Kalkofen? I would really appreciate any information.

Hey Mike,

Just a few weeks ago, Paul Olivo (fellow SCV alum) told me that Bob Kalkofen recently showed up at San Jose State to see Scott Pierson. Apparently, the two have stayed in touch over the years and Bob was in the area. I believe Paul said that Bob lives in Denver. Not sure what he does for a living but is not associated with drum corps anymore.

Bob Kalkoffen - drums

Amazing the small world of drum corps...Angelica, Sanford, and Emmons were all on staff with us in 1972, along with Bobby Hoffman. Those four were the main designers of our show in 72...

Mike

Amazing the small world of drum corps...Angelica, Sanford, and Emmons were all on staff with us in 1972, along with Bobby Hoffman. Those four were the main designers of our show in 72...

Mike

And you know what is even more amazing Mike? As a marching member of SCV during '72, I had no idea that, Pete, and Fred (I knew that Don along with Chops were "floater" instructors) were on staff with you guys (and who knows else). I mean, come on! We were in competition "against" you and every one else and these staff members of SCV were competing "against" us? Weird to think about. Now, remember folks that it was 30 some plus years ago and I was only 17 and still somewhat "innocent", so I had no idea.

I can't blame them though, because they had to make a living and at the same time, they got to explore different styles of marching and music once DCI opened the flood gates to "creativity".

Then again, it is weird to think that I was taught by a staff who urged me to compete against a corps that was taught by the same staff who urged them to compete against us ... Wow, no wonder it was so fun!

Been a while so I'll try to remember the names from Cap Reg's 02 brass staff.

Caption: Alan (don't recall the last name)

Sop tech: Tony Reed

Mello tech: Jason Reinhart

Bari tech: Barry Tech

Contra tech: Lonnie (don't recall the last name)

Most of the staff had been with BD in the early 90's. Sadly, I can't recall our caption or contra tech's last names. They were all very relaxed and laid back about rehearsal in that BD sort of way. Alan and Lonnie weren't with us the whole season because of schedule conflicts, so we sometimes only had 3 brass staff members for the hornline, and we basically had a "caption head by committee" going. Still, we did ok.

Hey Mike,

Just a few weeks ago, Paul Olivo (fellow SCV alum) told me that Bob Kalkofen recently showed up at San Jose State to see Scott Pierson.  Apparently, the two have stayed in touch over the years and Bob was in the area.  I believe Paul said that Bob lives in Denver.  Not sure what he does for a living but is not associated with drum corps anymore.

Maureen, I love you!!! You rock!!! Did he mention how he was doing? That would be so cool to see him again.

Thanks again Maureen :wub: You rock!!!!!

And you know what is even more amazing Mike? As a marching member of SCV during '72, I had no idea that, Pete, and Fred (I knew that Don along with Chops were "floater" instructors) were on staff with you guys (and who knows else).  I mean, come on!  We were in competition "against" you and every one else and these staff members of SCV were competing "against" us?  Weird to think about. Now, remember folks that it was 30 some plus years ago and I was only 17 and still somewhat "innocent", so I had no idea.

I can't blame them though, because they had to make a living and at the same time, they got to explore different styles of marching and music once DCI opened the flood gates to "creativity".

Then again, it is weird to think that I was taught by a staff who urged me to  compete against a corps that was taught by the same staff who urged them to compete against us ... Wow, no wonder it was so fun!

Well, at one time Tom Swan of Skyliner fame taught seemingly half the horn-lines in the Garden State Circuit! :P

I arranged for and taught two GSC corps myself in 76, as a matter of fact.

Mike