The DCI Yearlys: 1982

LancerLady, Memphis Blues in 82 still did the funniest thing I ever saw in drum corps (or at least until Pee Wee showed up with VK in 88): the marching band parade in Bye Bye Blues. I saw that at Whitewater and laughed my ### off. Great keyboards that year for MB3, painted gold if I recall, too!

Two great tales of controversy in 82, straight outta the Midwest! First, after two blistering performances at the night show in DeKalb, after they announce Cavies in third, Joe Bruno slows down and gets all dramatic, and Phantom starts to leve the field. Then he announces it's a tie and I start to boo because I think PR is leaving out of protest. My brother yelled "Get back on the field!" and slowly we ealize that they're going to do it all again. Both of them. Unbelievable.

The other was at Whitewater, and since I've seen Geneseo three times already this year I thought I'd catch up on the souvie market while they're on. Then comes their score. 61? Whaa? What'd they score last night? 78? Whaaaa?

Now there's a story! Never been satisfactorily explained, and the concomitant brouhaha weakened the corps forever. (Part of it was the Knights' fault, part of it was not. Your mileage may vary, of course.)

The birth of the pit...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two great tales of controversy in 82, straight outta the Midwest! First, after two blistering performances at the night show in DeKalb, after they announce Cavies in third, Joe Bruno slows down and gets all dramatic, and Phantom starts to leve the field. Then he announces it's a tie and I start to boo because I think PR is leaving out of protest. My brother yelled "Get back on the field!" and slowly we ealize that they're going to do it all again. Both of them. Unbelievable.

Actually, Madison left first and we left second. I didn't know what was going on either until Joe Bruno announced it. Until we started to leave the field, we thought Madison was leaving in protest.

Both corps put on monster performances for the runoff.

Actually, Madison left first and we left second.  I didn't know what was going on either until Joe Bruno announced it.  Until we started to leave the field, we thought Madison was leaving in protest.

That was my age out year, and I remember two of our percussion staff coming out to retreat before they announced the last 3 or 4 scores. They told us to mount up, because we had to warm up to do the show again. We were like, "what's going on", then they tell us we tied Madison.

I also remember playing in a huge rainstorm at Dekalb, but I think that was in 81'. Anyway, neat to remember some of this old stuff.

Kevin

PR 79-82

Actually, Madison left first and we left second.  I didn't know what was going on either until Joe Bruno announced it.  Until we started to leave the field, we thought Madison was leaving in protest.

Really? I was watching Phantom all the way, because I was such a Phantom Phan, and didn't even notice Madison at retreat. But what a night.

Tom Shea

Knights 83-88

www.tomshea.blogspot.com

LancerLady, Memphis Blues in 82 still did the funniest thing I ever saw in drum corps (or at least until Pee Wee showed up with VK in 88): the marching band parade in Bye Bye Blues. I saw that at Whitewater and laughed my ### off. Great keyboards that year for MB3, painted gold if I recall, too!

The other was at Whitewater, and since I've seen Geneseo three times already this year I thought I'd catch up on the souvie market while they're on. Then comes their score. 61? Whaa? What'd they score last night? 78? Whaaaa?

Now there's a story! Never been satisfactorily explained, and the concomitant brouhaha weakened the corps forever. (Part of it was the Knights' fault, part of it was not. Your mileage may vary, of course.)

The birth of the pit...

Tom, I think I can explain at least part of why Geneseo's score dropped so much at Midwest prelims.

Suncoast Sound, being a relatively unknown entity the previous year came to Midwest prelims with a terrible seeding, we were the second corps to perform at around 8:15 am. The school we were staying at was a almost a 2 hour drive from Warhawk stadium.

We were determined to not let these circumstances hurt our chances of a good performance so we decided to put the corps to bed at 6pm, wake them up at 3am, eat, have a light rehearsal and leave around 5am so that we could go through our usual pre show routine and be sure the corps was wide awake and as prepared as they could be for such an unusually early performance.

Well, all I can say is our plan worked because they put on their best performance of the year up to that point, although hardly anybody was there to witness it.

The score we received though, did not match the level of performance I had witnessed. I had been telling the corps we would need a mid to high seventy to have a chance of making the night show and we came in with 74. something. I truly didn't think that score would hold up.

What happened next is that as corps came on after us, I believe the judges realized they had under scored us and were trying to adjust the scores accordingly, using Suncoast as the benchmark.

This would explain some of the drop in scores. DCI Midwest being a regional show would explain some more of the drop. Corps performances would be a factor as well but in my opinion there is no way Geneseo should have dropped that far unless they had a total meltdown of a show, which I doubt they did. Memphis Blues is another corps who dropped from the low 70's previously to around 60 at Midwest prelims. These two corps had been scoring within several points of Suncoast all year.

Tom, I think I can explain at least part of why Geneseo's score dropped so much at Midwest prelims. 

Suncoast Sound, being a relatively unknown entity the previous year came to Midwest prelims with a terrible seeding, we were the second corps to perform at around 8:15 am.  The school we were staying at was a almost a 2 hour drive from Warhawk stadium.

We were determined to not let these circumstances hurt our chances of a good performance so we decided to put the corps to bed at 6pm, wake them up at 3am, eat, have a light rehearsal and leave around 5am so that we could go through our usual pre show routine and be sure the corps was wide awake and as prepared as they could be for such an unusually early performance.

Well, all I can say is our plan worked because they put on their best performance of the year up to that point, although hardly anybody was there to witness it.

The score we received though, did not match the level of performance I had witnessed.  I had been telling the corps we would need a mid to high seventy to have a chance of making the night show and we came in with 74. something.  I truly didn't think that score would hold up.

What happened next is that as corps came on after us, I believe the judges realized they had under scored us and were trying to adjust the scores accordingly, using Suncoast as the benchmark.

This would explain some of the drop in scores.  DCI Midwest being a regional show would explain some more of the drop.  Corps performances would be a factor as well but in my opinion there is no way Geneseo should have dropped that far unless they had a total meltdown of a show, which I doubt they did.  Memphis Blues is another corps who dropped from the low 70's previously to around 60 at Midwest prelims.  These two corps had been scoring within several points of Suncoast all year.

The "tabula rasa" theory is interesting (and would explain why Alliance scored so well on Friday). But nobody fell as far as fast as Geneseo, and the argument doesn't quite pan out for me. The slides I have of that show give no indication of any kind of aberration in their performance.

But I thought Suncoast was quite good that day.

The birth of the pit...

You just made my day with this memory! I was IN the marching band part of the parade on French Horn! It was a great idea, we were spoofing ourselves cause of the "Brass Band" on our name! :) I think Jim Paradise (who was a 27th Lancer, and really introduced them to me through his experience) who was our M & M instructor came up with that idea as well as the flags in the drum solo. Which I later learned who REALLY came up with that idea (Zingali) :)

Yes those guys in the front line were very underrated! They had some awesome chops! I agree! My first year of drum corps what a way to come into the activity.

I agree with you about Pee Wee in VK too that was one of MY favorite shows by VK. :) Anyway thanks for the remembering. :)

Edited by Lancerlady