• Freddy Martin
    • George Bonfiglio
    • Scott Stewart
    • Jim Jones
    • George Hopkins
    • Adolph DeGrawe
    • Others

Since this is historical I listed older guys

NOW I know I left people out and I apologize so if you have others please name them.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very difficult. I gave consideration to:

Jim Jones for pushing the nationwide touring/competition issue.

Gail Royer for truly making a business FOR drum corps - complete with busses and souvineer wagons (remember the huge bass drum?), and the musical and visual vision.

George B for his leadership in breaking away from VFW and being DCI's first Prez

I cannot give it to Don Warren. Although he was the keeper of the Cavie flame - he could have brokered more involvement throughout the activity.

I cannot give it to Jerry Seawright - he had examples in front of him - he merely was the untimate competitor and pushed the super corps style

I cannot give it to Hoppy - he's too reckless. He hires and fires on a whim.

My vote went to Gail (RIP).

I believe it was the Troopers that first had busses and a souvie "wagon" long before there was a Santa Clara Vanguard.

Also it was Jim Jones and Don Warren that first met at a show to discuss leaving the VFW and Legion auspices. The Brass Roots video gives a first hand account from Don Warren as to the formation of DCI.

My Dad, Noel Borden, of the L.I. Kingsmen. Him and my Mom took this corps from a very small parade corps in 1964 to the doorstep of DCI Finals in 1980 without ever being paid a dime. Since then, they have worked with Avant Garde, 27th, and now The Cadets, and still tour the entire summer at the age of 72. And they have done it for (42) YEARS for free!

Lancer Legend, you made some very thoughtful comments and points well taken. I am curious if you would elaborate on your comments about Warren. No slam from me coming I'm just not quite sure what you mean.

Thanks

I believe it was the Troopers that first had busses and a souvie "wagon" long before there was a Santa Clara Vanguard.

Also it was Jim Jones and Don Warren that first met at a show to discuss leaving the VFW and Legion auspices. The Brass Roots video gives a first hand account from Don Warren as to the formation of DCI.

You know I've often thought the Brass Roots video should be required viewing for new corps members. In additon to Warren's thoughts, George Bonfiglio, Bill Howard, and Dave Kampschorer add their memories. It's amazing these guys actually pulled the whole thing off. When you consider that some even went so far as to put their home mortgages up as collateral it's pretty darn humbling.

You know I've often thought the Brass Roots video should be required viewing for new corps members. In additon to Warren's thoughts, George Bonfiglio, Bill Howard, and Dave Kampschorer add their memories. It's amazing these guys actually pulled the whole thing off. When you consider that some even went so far as to put their home mortgages up as collateral it's pretty darn humbling.

Good idea about Brass Roots and I'd also add that George B. didn't just mortgage his house once. He did it several times to save the corps, at his own families peril.

He and others also had to give up shows 2 miles away to stick with the DCI plan. Shows that each corps would surely have won or placed. So they also gave up prize monies as well. They did mention a little of this in Brass Roots, and they were right when they said he wouldn't have had to move the buses, the corps members could have driven to Manning Bowl, won the show, then driven home.

My Dad, Noel Borden, of the L.I. Kingsmen.  Him and my Mom took this corps from a very small parade corps in 1964 to the doorstep of DCI Finals in 1980 without ever being paid a dime.  Since then, they have worked with Avant Garde, 27th, and now The Cadets, and still tour the entire summer at the age of 72.  And they have done it for (42) YEARS for free!

Tell your Dad and Mom I said hi. Also how is Sue doing?

Kevin Kernen