• Magnificent Yankees
    • Purple Lancers
    • Rochester Patriots
    • Gauchos
    • OLPH Ridgemen
    • St. Rita's Brassmen
    • CMCC Warriors
    • Avant Garde

There are so many success' above...Purple Lancers are the only NY corps to make Open Finals, Greece was the first A Class Champs, St. Joe's were great for many years, Squires, Avant Garde.....who to pick?

Have to go with Joe's here.

WTF, Keith--do you have multiple-personality disorder???? :wub:

BTW--you forgot the Tri-Town Cadets!!!!! :P

Edited by uncle z

WTF, Keith--do you have multiple-personality disorder???? :wub:

Somehow I sent it out twice...SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tri-Town?  What did they do?  I competed against them but they weren't "up there" at anytime that I can remember.

BTW--you forgot the Tri-Town Cadets!!!!! :P

If my memory serves me correctly, the very first drum corps I ever saw in competition was the Cadets of Greece. I attended the 1979 prelims in Birmingham and they were on very early in the morning.

I also remember Avant Gard and LI Kingsmen from 79 and 80. I wish I'd been around to see St. Joe's and the Purple Lancers.

I saw most, if not all those corps during my years of competition in New York State. I would have to go with Mighty St. Joe's of Batavia as the best. They were the top corps in the state for most of the 1960's up through 1971. They did have this little "problem" with marching overage members, but then so did many of the top eastern corps of that era. They fielded many very talented drum lines. They marched well and looked great and had that champion's cockiness. They had solid horn lines with two distinct styles (Cozzolino era through 1966 and Fabrizio 1967-71). Jimmy Allen's obligato soprano solo on Jose was something we always marveled at.

I would also have to give an honorable mention to the Magnificent Yankees. From a horn player's point of view they were my favorite. That 1965-66 horn line could wail!! Excellent soprano solo work.

In the Appleknockers we were usually a bridesmaid, but had many good years from 1965-1973. A forgotten fact is that we placed second in the state in 1970! Drumming and marching were our strongest captions, but the horn line was decent, also.

The Purple Lancers arguably produced the highest achieving single season (1974) in the state's history. They were also strong in 1972 and 1973, but over the long run did not achieve enough to merit them more than an honorable mention with special distinction.

I think you could accord that same status to corps like the Bronx Kingsmen, St. Rita's Brassmen, Watkins Glen Squires, St. Joe's Patron Cadets, Carter Cadets, LI Kingsmen, and Avant Garde.

I included Patriots too because they did win DCI Div II. I also felt that they were successful from the late 70's until 2 years ago. From mid-80's on I guess you could say they were NY State Champions so that was almost 20 years. If there was a NY Championship they would certainly be the champs for more years than the other corps.

Financially speaking, they were more successful than any corps in the state.

I included Patriots too because they did win DCI Div II. I also felt that they were successful from the late 70's until 2 years ago. From mid-80's on I guess you could say they were NY State Champions so that was almost 20 years. If there was a NY Championship they would certainly be the champs for more years than the other corps.

Unfortunately, this is more a statement abut the sorry state of junior drum corps in NYS.

from 1963 to 1965, St. Joseph's of Batavia managed to beat at least once, every top corps in the country except one, Cavies. St. Joe's lost to Cavies by .1 in Mommence, ILL in 1964, while beating Royal airs, Kilts, Madison, and Skokie in the same show.

St. Joe's broke into the top ten elite in 1963 when they beat Opti and Garfield for the first time in Syracuse.

They also beat the corps that won VFW Nationals within a week of nationals in both 64 and 65. That was Kilties in 64 and Royal Airs in 65.

St. Joe's took top drums in the 1968 VFW Nationals.

8 times NYS American Legion Champs, 4 times NY - Canadian Champs.

No doubt Mighty St. Joe's was the best that NY State ever had in Junior Corps ranks. :wub:

Been there, done that

St. Joseph's of Batavia 1963 - 1966

from 1963 to 1965, St. Joseph's of Batavia managed to beat at least once, every top corps in the country except one, Cavies. St. Joe's lost to Cavies by .1 in Mommence, ILL in 1964, while beating Royal airs, Kilts, Madison, and Skokie in the same show.

St. Joe's broke into the top ten elite in 1963 when they beat Opti and Garfield for the first time in Syracuse.

They also beat the corps that won VFW Nationals within a week of nationals in both 64 and 65. That was Kilties in 64 and Royal Airs in 65.

St. Joe's took top drums in the 1968 VFW Nationals.

8 times NYS American Legion Champs, 4 times NY - Canadian Champs.

No doubt Mighty St. Joe's was the best that NY State ever had in Junior Corps ranks. :wub:

Been there, done that

St. Joseph's of Batavia 1963 - 1966

:wub: It is indeed a pleasure to be writing in the same topic as a former member of St. Joes. I was way to young and on the wrong coast to have seen you, but I listened to records and was blown away by you guys. You got my vote.

I love big spender...... :wub:

Edited by Tansea