george Tuthill

Okay, I'm just going to say this one time because I know a lot of you guys love the guy....

Tuthill became the director of the Argonauts in 83.

Skyriders had let him go.

Bridgemen had let him go (and threw their drumsticks at  him).

George wanted to change us into a marching band.

We didn't march in 86 to "reform".

87 was a boring show but we managed to stay in the 60's in scores.  I later found out that George only marched as a corps in 87 to make money to start his marching band.

88 was my age out year.  George marched a BAND.  I marched with Marauders.

Personally, I hated the guy.

Your thoughts?  (Change my opinion).

Rest in peace Tut, i'm sorry that this individual finds it necessary to say these things about a man who can't defend himself. The past is over, live in the now.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rest in peace Tut. I'm sorry some people hold you to a godlike status and don't see that you were a human being as well.

I'm sorry they don't see the 80 other kids hearts that were crushed in their age out year because they couldn't keep their drum corps.

I'm sorry these worshippers believe that we somehow remained silent and wouldn't think that we approached you about this and DID tell it to your face, as you rushed away as quickly as you could.

I'm sorry you lost staff because of your actions, including Buddha Bob, Ghost and Scott Henderson.

Your goals were lofty, but I believe both a marching band and a drum corps were feasable

Personally, I hated the guy.

Your thoughts?  (Change my opinion).

Why would anyone in their right mind care to attempt to change your opinion after a comment like that?!?! :worthy: You opinion is yours and it is based upon your individual experience. GT's time with the Argonauts was just a small slice of who he was within the drum corps community (as evidenced by the posts here). You had a negative experience, others had a positive experiences. To each their own.

So you had to move on to the Marauders. There are worse things in life. The Marauders were a quality drum corps at the time. You are lucky to have had that option.

btw - there is no ffffn way the Argos had "80 other kids in their ageout year...."

Edited by asvab

My 1st thought is why would anyone start bashing someone who has been departed for almost 4 years.

I had the pleasure of working with George twice. Both were extremely trying circumstances and George came through like the professional he was (Chunky Bars and Stroh's Beer notwithstanding).

I started trying to write about our experiences with Miami and Belleville, but those stories just don't equal the sum of the man. George was a veritable writing machine. During our two journeys together, he was also with Garfield and Hutch, respectively. Despite those major responsibilities, he was filling my mailbox with charts faster than I could teach them, and they were quality musical scores. I've dealt with the prima donnas of percussion often in this activity, but in George's own words he was "just a plumber".

It's funny that this thread appeared when it did. I was in Kansas last week and thought a lot about George. I know he was doing his best to raise his two daughters as a single father, with an on-going domestic soap opera. Does anyone know what has become of his girls? Did they become active in drum corps? I hope they're well, and that they don't see the meanness that started this thread.

I saw this thread and wasnn't going to reply but figured I would add my opinion.

George Tuthill was no doubt a strange cat. I marched with the Hawthorne Caballeros from 1971 -1975, all years with George Tuhill writing parts and Jack Pratt assisting with cleanup. He was not a person you could get close to but he could write some teriffic stuff and he just did that during my years with Hawthorne. George was an innovator and he, Larry Kerchner, and of course Jim Costello helped me win three DCA Championships out of the five years with Hawthorne.

I was fortunate to have been instructed by many legends of drum corps: Walter Kelly, John Flowers, George Tuthill. Bobby Peterson and Danny Raymond, Sr.

I had the highest respect for George Tuthill while I was associated with him in the Caballeros. What he did with other corps I have no idea.

The last time I saw George was at the 1997 DCAs in Allentown when I was marching with the Caballeros Alumni. George was sitting to the side and quietly nodded his recognition of me from 22 years earlier.

When I found out he was dying from cancer, I sent him a note at the hospital. I can only hope he received it. The note was a simple thank you for the life experience he gave me

Well, Georges SON marched in argos with me. I really didn't know about daughters.

Actually, excepting the whole "bash the starter of this thread" thing, you guys ARE teaching me more about the man than I ever knew. Which I'm grateful for.

Well,  Georges SON marched in argos with me.  I  really didn't know about daughters.

Actually, excepting the whole "bash the starter of this thread" thing, you guys ARE teaching me more about the man than I ever knew.  Which I'm grateful for.

Not remembering the gender of George's children after only 28 years. Shame on me. Must've been the Chunky chocolates.

I saw this thread and wasnn't going to reply but figured I would add my opinion.

George Tuthill was no doubt a strange cat. I marched with the Hawthorne Caballeros from 1971 -1975, all years with George Tuhill writing parts and Jack Pratt assisting with cleanup. He was not a person you could get close to but he could write some teriffic stuff and he just did that during my years with Hawthorne. George was an innovator and he, Larry Kerchner, and of course Jim Costello helped me win three DCA Championships out of the five years with Hawthorne.

I was fortunate to have been instructed by many legends of drum corps: Walter Kelly, John Flowers, George Tuthill. Bobby Peterson and Danny Raymond, Sr.

I had the highest respect for George Tuthill while I was associated with him in the Caballeros. What he did with other corps I have no idea.

The last time I saw George was at the 1997 DCAs in Allentown when I was marching with the Caballeros Alumni. George was sitting to the side and quietly nodded his recognition of me from 22 years earlier.

When I found out he was dying from cancer, I sent him a note at the hospital. I can only hope he received it. The note was a simple thank you for the life experience he gave me

I was surprised to find out that George ghost-wrote Blessed Sacrament's "Eleanor Rigby" for Bobby Thompson. Even his most intense competitors respected his talent.

I had forgotten about this till a friend of mine reminded me about this.One more thing about George in 1972 we were on tour and our Drum instructor had to leave us. This was the week of the first DCI championships we rolled into White Water with no one to work with the drum line George came up to them while they were working on the show and asked where is your instructor the kids told him that he had to go home. So George stepped right in and worked with them. We made finals by .1 tenth and were the first corps to ever compete in DCI Finals. Was it the help that George gave us? Or could the kids in the line have cleaned up the tenths needed to make finals? I don’t know but George sure didn’t hurt us.