1957 American Legion Finals

Hello,

Bob Hoehn here. I was a 16-year old first baritone player for Harvey Seeds that year. Had marched with them a couple years before getting "caught" being underage and not a veteran. Sorry about that guys!

After getting caught I went on to march with Jr corps, Miami Vanguard, Miami Crusaders and Chicago Cavaliers.

The Contest in Atlantic City was a nightmare, an indoor venue, corps at each other throats. One incident included the Reilly Raiders and their arch rival Archer Epler Muskateers. Reilly's bass drummers dropped thumb tack on the contest floor because Eplers Drum major was dressed like the King from King & I (their program), and he went barefooted. Ouch

Just to add to the fire........as I understand it, you are correct in that legend says someone from Reilly dropped thumbtacks on the performance floor. Also, Vince Deegan, DM and King of Siam in the corps production that year of "The King & I", did find one in his foot. However, that had nothing to do with the disqualifications of Archie, Reilly or other corps. Nor did the brawl later that night.

It just happened to be the Legion 90/10 rule of the day: 90% of the membership must be Legion members. Unfortunately, some great performances went out the window at that show.

Jim Cossetti

Archie '62-'95

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, the nostalgia of fist fights and the over-turning busses in the parking lot after a show...makes you yearn for the smell of diesel fumes, blood and vomit, doesn't it?

RON HOUSLEY

Amen.... :worthy:

Well, maybe. I always thought that wet wool smell was coming from The Kilties bus, though.

Had that sheep been anywhere near The Anaheim Kingsmen it would have been immediately turned into lamb chops baked in a hole in the ground beside a broken down bus...if not eaten raw.

...from what I hear, you can only feed a corps so many peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before things like that begin to happen.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

• 2 years later...

Very true Bob. Vince Deegan and the rest of Archie were NOT amused by the prank. There was a particularly grand donnybrook (melee) that resulted. The 'declaration' of 90/10 rule was an oversight which was corrected in later years.

Great performances tho.........

Hello,

Bob Hoehn here. I was a 16-year old first baritone player for Harvey Seeds that year. Had marched with them a couple years before getting "caught" being underage and not a veteran. Sorry about that guys!

After getting caught I went on to march with Jr corps, Miami Vanguard, Miami Crusaders and Chicago Cavaliers.

The Contest in Atlantic City was a nightmare, an indoor venue, corps at each other throats. One incident included the Reilly Raiders and their arch rival Archer Epler Muskateers. Reilly's bass drummers dropped thumb tack on the contest floor because Eplers Drum major was dressed like the King from King & I (their program), and he went barefooted. Ouch

Edited by Jimbalaya

Did Vince shave his head for the role? That show must have been incredibly clever and innovative in the day. Hope somebody does a "Hairspray" show this year with an Edna Turnblad drum major. That would be sweet!

LOL.....unfortunately Vince used a 'skull cap' to cover his tresses, but the make up did take some time, including the wardrobe........thanks for recognizing the innovation........it was the very first 'theme' show, followed a few years later by Camelot........

Jim

Did Vince shave his head for the role? That show must have been incredibly clever and innovative in the day. Hope somebody does a "Hairspray" show this year with an Edna Turnblad drum major. That would be sweet!

And we hid sheep on the bus......... b**bs

and the women knew it. :tongue::ph34r: