August 16, 1977

I know this is a strange topic to put in the historical forums BUT this has to do with both drum corps and Elvis.

On August 17, 1977, I was walking past a newspaper dispensor and saw the headlines "ELVIS IS DEAD". Needless to say I was stunned. I bought a paper and went back to our school where we were staying and put up the front page for all to see.

When the bulk of the corps came back from a shopping trip in Boulder Colorado, there wasn't a dry eye in the corps. It was the first rock star that a lot of us had a true affection for that had died. Every day someone would come back with a paper and hang it up for the rest to read. It's a good thing that we had finished our shows on that tour because no one felt like practising.

Where were you when you found out??? B)

Edited by ODBC

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at my mother's watching television when the news broke. I was a big fan of his. I know a lot of people mock him because of how big he got, but few seem to know that he was only fat for about the last three years of his life. The Aloha From Hawaii concert was in 1973 and he looked great! I saw him in Las Vegas four times and shook his hand on stage. I even jumped Graceland's wall in '75.

I certainly understand that some people hate his movies, but the man could REALLY SING with heart and soul. Two things that, in my opinion, are lacking in a lot of pop music today. He certainly had his faults like we all do, but what a FANTASTIC VOICE!!

I was in Colorado preparing for DCI Prelims.

I know this is a strange topic to put in the historical forums BUT this has to do with both drum corps and Elvis.

On August 17, 1977, I was walking past a newspaper dispensor and saw the headlines  "ELVIS IS DEAD". Needless to say I was stunned. I bought a paper and went back to our school where we were staying and put up the front page for all to see.

When the bulk of the corps came back from a shopping trip in Boulder Colorado, there wasn't a dry eye in the corps. It was the first rock star that a lot of us had a true affection for that had died. Every day someone would come back with a paper and hang it up for the rest to read. It's a good thing that we had finished our shows on that tour because no one felt like practising.

Where were you when you found out???    B)

I remember it well. Our corps had just arrived in Denver for the DCI Championships. Quite a shock and quite sad.

I wasn't born b**bs

~>conner

Oh Rob, you would bring this subject up. :) I was living with my grandma at the time, in Memphis, and she was a big time Elvis fan, cause well, the family knew him before he was famous. He worked with my grandfather at some fair once with him. I heard all kinds of stories... :)

I was down the street with my child hood friend playing jacks listening to "WHBQ....MEMPHIS" listening to Rick Dees I think and the news came on. My girlfriend and I looked at each other. I said, "OH I need a cigarette". She said, "You don't smoke"...I said, "Yeah but my grandma is going to play religious Elvis tunes now all day, I need something". And we got cigs from her mother and that is the day I started smoking..... :( (But I quit in 1992)...Living in Memphis, it was wild during the time Elvis died. I didn't appreciate his religious side when he sang but boy do I now. I was like in the 7th grade...

I remember watching the Alhoa concert and other things, but I didn't appreciate him until years later. Now I have all of his DVD's and have so much respect for what he contributed to Music. In 1982 when I was with the Blues when we played, "Can't Help Falling in Love", that is when it hit me about this drum corps, the feeling I got when we connected with the crowd playing that and how important that song was for Elvis fans. Anyway....If you get a chance to see his 68 Come back DVD, it's incredible way ahead of it's time. :)

I can never get away from the man no matter where I move. Recently I took my husband back home to see Graceland, He loved it. Of course, the last time I had been was when I went with the girl scouts before he died. So when we got to the Grave, it was very moving and had a profound effect on me. So if you're ever in Memphis go check out Graceland, you'll be glad you did.

As far as the comments about his movies...Elvis really could act, if you see him in "Love me Tender" you'll see that. But the Col. screwed up his acting career by making him a money machine and getting him stupid parts. :) Also if you get to Memphis check out Sun studio.

Oh and last year I dressed up like Elvis at a Halloween costume competition and came in 2nd...It was fun seeing how the kids knew who I was..:) I figured I could do it since I grew up with him and found the perfect outfit. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

My aunt and uncle purchased one of their homes from Elvis (the one on Audobon Drive) - the one that he eventually gave to his mother.

They owned a business that brought them in contact with Elvis quite often (a rug cleaning business, and new carpet sales)

When he died I was in my apartment in Torrance, CA doing some sewing.

Edited by Cascade Mama

I was in a parking lot at Denver University after rehearsal and someone walked by and said "Elvis is dead".

My Mom was a HUGE Elvis fan.

Did we do this last week? Just wondering...

I was in a mall in Denver with the guard captain and another rifle. I don't know how it is that we were shopping, (we always did find food and stores) but it was finals week and we heard someone talking about it.