the DCI Yearlys: 1985

No one....NO ONE...looked better on finals night than Catherine!

AMEN :angry: b**bs

• 3 weeks later...

My first year with 27th. Loved it!!!

I remember being beaten by Les Eclipses in Syracuse. I also remember our staff being, lets just say, not too thrilled!! We also, got right on the buses for another show that same day, Rochester, I believe.

I remember our buses being robbed at our home show in Lynn...of course my bag was stolen....no money...my parents had to wire me $$ to Montreal....

Loved SCV, Madison, Cavies. Bridgemen, though small, was a blast (Christmas in July).

I had come from the Long Island Kingsmen, who had folded and had so many former Kingsmen friends in so many other corps- Garfield, Crossmen, Cavies, Bridgemen. Loved seeing them all summer. Also rememember being chewed out by George B for being late back to the bus after a show.........

Memories................

My one and only memory of '85 was being flown out to Texas to work with SCV. They had not been doing that great up to that point and I remember whipping them into a pretty good hype before the show, a show that they won by the way.

But what I remember most was going into the stands to check out Suncoast. I had taught them for the previous three years and had tried everything I could to get Robert Smith to loosen the reins and let the hornline increase their volume to get the most out of the impact points, to no avail. Well, to put it mildly the reins were loose that night. I simply could not believe that they were actually the loudest corps on the field that night :worthy: .

All I could do was shake my head and wonder what might have been had I stayed with them a year or two more, or, if this change in philosophy could only have taken place with my departure. B)

Best season ever, in my opinion.

All those great "concept" shows...Top down. Garfield's great Bernstein show (the best show of the decade, and their great mold-breaker), BD's classical jazz show, Suncoast's original show (Holy ####! Horns! Bass drums!), all the way down to my Knights and the Superstar show, the best small corps show of the decade.

Great memories. "Whicker."

"Drums Along the Philo."

Good times.Great year.

The Knights had so many perceived image problems that year, i.e. corps that kept beating us who we thought were inferior to us, wahh waah waah. Argonauts were in tht camp; everybody thought they were clowns, and then our staff came to us after a show and said "They're ahead of us because they're GOOD." And they were, they were clean as a whistle. Colts, too. Level of difficulty, that's another thing.

But a great year.

Three words: "A Florida Suite"

That we didn't win brass that year was simply criminal.

w/Stp: No need to go any further. I think just about everyone here knows how I feel about '85 Suncoast.

Let's see...1985. Verrry memorable. Thank you Suncoast, Garfield, SCV, Phantom and Spirit for rocking my world!

Here's just a few of my memories...

- Mel firing our food staff half-way through tour CUZ THEY SUCKED!

- The lead baris and sops making breakfast for the rest of the corps when we were in CO (mmmmm... chorizo and eggs). Best meal we had on tour!

- Practicing at the same school that Avant Garde was at and waking up the next morning to see them eating Fruit Loops and Cap'n Crunch while the only thing we ever got was Cheerios.

- Sticking with the food theme, after eating endless peanut butter and HAND sandwiches, seeing a line of people coming out of a Domino's Pizza when we got to Wyoming. Poor saps didn't know what hit 'em... and then us later. If you get my drift.

- Never quite getting our show tweaked enough to pull ahead of anyone. <**>

- Not having the Hostess cupcake stripe on our Spanish unis unlike another certain corps that Lee marched with. B)

- Starting tour with three busses and ending up with two after just being on the road a little over a week, (and my bus was the one that quit on us. Maybe that's why BD sold it to us?)

- Marching in a rodeo ring with a field that only went out to the 25's and having drill that went out to the 10's.

- Lauren Schneider and a few more of us leads getting ready to beat the living crap out of a kid who decided he wanted to sleep in instead of hitting the horn arc and then being "relieved" by Mel before we could really do some damage.

- Being an age-out with Mel. He really knew how to treat us older "kids".

- After one of the busses breaks down (an oft' recurring theme) in Little America on the way home, we (all of us who were "of age", I believe it was 18 or 19 at that time there) hit the bar, Mel walks in, slaps down his credit card and the party begins. B)

- The chance to see Suncoast... speechless!

- Garfield... Jeremiah was incredible but Candide?! WOW!!

- Phantom... I know you guys got slammed but that show made me go out and buy Symphonie Fantastique when I got home.

- SCV... breathtakingly gorgeous!

- Spirit... being a Gerswin fan to begin with, I LOVED THIS SHOW! And I really loved watching you and Suncoast battle it out all season. Just like in 1983. And '84. And '86.

- Meeting a Tony Luna, (part of the sop trio at the beginning of the show) who, 20 years later would still be my best friend and (along with his wife) the Godparents of my oldest child. He also happens to be the leader of Los Hooligans.

- Thinking then that the season just plain sucked but, after looking back a few years later, knowing I'd never trade any of these memories. (Plus a few more that I'm not going to mention here B) )

Edited by skajerk

... followed by '83.

You and me both, brother. <**>

If it makes you feel any better, I LOVED the '85 show!

Whenever we were sluggish in the morning (usually after pancakes)...

Pancakes? You guys had pancakes?! What was that like? B)

3... It is still my favorite Phantom show ever.  What they did with that show during the course of the season was amazing.  My hat is off to them!  It is one of the most under-rated shows IMO.

Yep, I agree 100%!

Best season ever, in my opinion.

... BD's classical jazz show, ...But a great year.

Liferaft Earth

Piano Concerto #1 -- Keith Emerson

Karn Evil 9 - ELP

First Circle -- Pat Metheny

BD's classical jazz show? :rock: