The loudest hornline you have ever heard

I know this is a biased response but 1978 Bridgemen had a very powerful  hornline. If you get a chance take a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Jim, you beat me to it...

I was just going to say that nobody has mentioned the '78 Bridgemen. That opening fanfare with the horns in that tight arc was awesome. ^OO^

You guys meant business that year, not sure if any of their fire power was due to the circumstances ending the "77 season but seeing '78 live in Denver is a show I'll never forget. Since you were a part of it, thanks for the memories!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

83 Garfield in Cary, NC about a week before championships in Miami.

RPH stretched out after the Z-pull was the loudest I ever heard. Guess it helped to be in a very intimate/close to the field stadium like Cary High School.......

Jim,  you beat me to it...

I was just going to say that nobody has mentioned the '78 Bridgemen.  That opening fanfare with the horns in that tight arc was awesome.  ^OO^ 

You guys meant business that year,  not sure if any of their fire power was due to the circumstances ending the "77 season but seeing '78 live in Denver is a show I'll never forget.  Since you were a part of it,  thanks for the memories!!!

78 Bridgemen had one of the most underated hornlines I have heard. I remember rushing back into Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown back in 78 @ DCI East Prelims just to here the first few bars of the intro in that tight arch....that intro set the stage for the whole show...I remember many of us in the Kingsmen being excited thinking that Bridgemen had finally arrived....I really believed they were going to take it all in Denver that year.....thank God for the Bridgemen Alumni Corps.....Lot's a luck Jim!

I know this is a biased response but 1978 Bridgemen had a very powerful  hornline. If you get a chance take a listen, you won't be disappointed.

Always has been one of my favorite shows!

Fire Dance/Sabre Dance is one of my All-Time Favorite arrangments!!

(BTW-listening to it right now!!)

The 78 Hornline just plain kicked ###!!!

I pretty much only have 5 years to pick from so here goes...

- 88 Blue Devils. They were probably a textbook example of how much louder a hornline sounds when they play in tune.

- 88 Velvet Knights. Just about blew my face off when they played the victory concert in Cheyenne, Wyoming (hope, I got the city right).

- 91 Blue Devils. I saw them do a victory concert somewhere in southern California that was stunning.

- 87 SCV. Finals in Madison. The closer was super loud and pretty much did all those things the judges say about connecting with the audience and "rising above the written material".

Loudest Hornline ever (in my 30 years) was one I taught - the 2002 Renegades. We actually called our production The Loudest Show on Earth.

And it was.

lsoe_cd_thumb.jpg

Other loud ones:

Spirit 1980

BD 1984

Madison 1975

In my experience, Madison and Blue Devils have always been loud. Especially Madison. 1988 comes to mind ("Malaguena"). 1995 does too ("A Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part I"). I thought the Blue Devils were fairly loud at 2002 finals in Madison--I thought "Channel One Suite" was kinda loud.

With regard to Madison, they are loud but not always the cleanest.

:)

Phantom 91-The big hit at the beginning of Bacchanale is just piercing to the ears.

My guess is the 27th Lancers Reunion Corps at '94 finals was pretty loud.

Edited by Maestro767

The loudest hornline I've ever heard? SF RENEGADES!!!! ^OO^ ^OO^ ^OO^ It happened last year in Dekalb, IL at the park.. It was instant "drum corps goosebumps!!"

Rumor has it.. I will find my lost "drum corps goosebumps" when my daugther & I go to the DCA Championships next month.. (this will be our first visit to a DCA competition) We are so excited!! Yeah!!