Gettysburg Show

Just got back from the Gettysburg, PA show.

First up - the Hanover Lancers. Kinda smallish, but not too shabby. Played a standstill concert with Alumni members of the Air Force D&B Corps. Best part for me was listening to the three Air Force sopronos...the guy in the middle was PUSHING SOME AIR! He was definitely going for it. Drums a nice feature with some neat stick tricks, etc...

Next - The Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps. Army musicians playing continental army-style music (rope drums, "sopranos" and "flutes"). Kinda quiet after a D&B Corps, but very entertaining. Drill was great! Very clean show. Bass drums had triplet-thing DOWN!

Then The Crossman.......show wasn't finished, so standstill for last number. Luckily they have an extra week before they begin competition. Radar Love will be bangin' Kind of neat to see a world-class corps just starting the season....bloopers and all. No doubt they will be ready very soon!

Finally The Cadets! Here's the BIG news..........mic'd VOCALS!!!!!!!

I'm sure people will be all over Hopkins for this one!

I guess the first vocal is supposed to be "Bjork" and for me it doesn't work.

But the second vocal section I really liked....a vocal drum duel!!! (neat-o).

Show starts out with whistling Kill Bill (no mic), then the first Jay Bocook original (Liquid?). Drill has some neat "water" effect; check out the Contra Hurricane!!

The Bjork stuff is also kinda of neat, but the percussion doesn't get to do much, so for me it kind of lays there...personal preference, I guess..

The Cadets also haven't finished their drill, so the last piece (Mirrors?) was also stand-still.

Brass line is very strong, and the percussion is fantastic. Did see one Cadet go down during drill, one tenor playing drop a mallet during a feature. Also had to wonder why the center snare stood backfield for the first part of show (injury?), but DID join the line for the rest of the show. Maybe that member fell asleep on the bus:-)

After the "official show", the brass played in a arc for a good 20 minutes. I especially liked the "William Tell" part, where it starts with a few members, turns into the full corps doing "moondance" and then ends pretty much the same way it started. Losts of humor.....the kids must love it!

If this is the first show for The Cadets, I can't wait for August!

All in all, a nice little preview of the coming season.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the Center Snare was Heidi (Don't know her last name). She's been battling tendonitis in her achilles this year and missed 2004 because of an knee injury. She is taking it easy until the shows and all-days come into full swing. Basically, she's trying to save herself for the rigors of tour so the cadets' line doesn't get into too much of a bind.

I have just had a vision of a picture showing up on on DCP of Hoppy dressed up in a dead swan dress singing into a mic...

I believe the Center Snare was Heidi (Don't know her last name). She's been battling tendonitis in her achilles this year and missed 2004 because of an knee injury. She is taking it easy until the shows and all-days come into full swing. Basically, she's trying to save herself for the rigors of tour so the cadets' line doesn't get into too much of a bind.

Yeah, I though so Ralphie ;-) Hope she makes it through the tour.

By the way, where were YOU when YOUR CORPS was performing in the G.B. parade.

I went there specifically to see you, and you were a no-show.

VERY disappointing.

You will be forgiven, however, when you come to the Westminster show with a HUGE "Surf's Up" sign.

Be cool

Hey man!  Don't give that guy any ideas!!!!!!

I only wish I had such technical talent...where is VK when you need them?

Edited by stockman365

Crossmen show is very much patterned after last year's Crown show. Doesn't seem like a finalist-bound design. Honestly - the design level reminds me of an ok TOB band. I am sure the kids are working hard... and the long closer should prove popular as the summer rolls on... Someone owes Crown a franchise fee.. :)

Cadets unis are terrible. First of all - it's a travesty to change their uniforms. Second of all - they muddy the visual terrible from the side - it's impossible to read any curved form marching. The show itself also "lifts" from the Crown outing last year / beat vocals. It has a bunch of typical Cadet runs and hits. Brass and drumline both VERY strong. The drill has a ton of visual imagery and they seem to be experimenting with extensive audience participation - beginning tonight with aiming to get the audience to snap along after their opener to sound like rain, etc... The show could be a winning vehicle for them this summer - closer, opener & ballad all very strong arrangements. Drill lacks some field coverage. But corps is extremely challenged and obviously talented. They were light years ahead of Xmen in all aspects

Edited by George

The Crossmen started a week later. Therefore should be at least 25% behind.