Santa Clara Vanguard 1992- 91.8!?!?!?

Yeah, Nikk. We were horrid on Finals night. We beat SCV every time we saw them that year except finals. Do you remember Brazale telling us on Finals morning that "THere's no way they'll dump you below Crossmen or SCV"? I remember it well. I also remember beating Cadets the Sunday before Finals week. It was alow stadium, but we beat them none the less.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hats they wore that year complemented the show theme very well.

Roman Blenski's favorite show.

Yeah, Nikk. We were horrid on Finals night. We beat SCV every time we saw them that year except finals. Do you remember Brazale telling us on Finals morning that "THere's no way they'll dump you below Crossmen or SCV"? I remember it well. I also remember beating Cadets the Sunday before Finals week. It was alow stadium, but we beat them none the less.

We were pretty lousy. Our hearts just weren't in it.

I am sure I have asked before, but....my head has been buried in books for the last year...who is this? :)

'92 SCV is on my MP3 player as running music. Great stuff, but is it just me, or did that show not have a percussion feature?

I was working for Madison in 1992 and SCV was on the same tour (same shows every night) as we were. Visually that show was all over the place. First time I saw them they had all kinds of props. The color guard was in some type of costumes, etc. By the time Allentown came around LOTS of music changes and the corps was really trying to pull it off.

1992 finals in Madison - by then guard was all in black and only one flag silk if I remember correct. Gone were the props that helped tell the story I thought.

I will admit the opening move by SCV in 1992 IS one of my all time favorate openers.

IMO I think SCV placed about right. Too much stuff going on in that show and too many changes and SCV just didn't execute.

I remember telling a friend when I was down on the field during the play offs. Look at it now, because this will be the LAST time SCV will ever do The Bottle Dance on a DCI finals night. It was LOUD and the FANS just went wild when they played it!!!!

Thanks for those memories Gail Royer and SCV.

We were pretty lousy. Our hearts just weren't in it.

I am sure I have asked before, but....my head has been buried in books for the last year...who is this? :)

[/quote

Judd Williams, DCW

I remember telling a friend when I was down on the field during the play offs.  Look at it now, because this will be the LAST time SCV will ever do The Bottle Dance on a DCI finals night.  It was LOUD and the FANS just went wild when they played it!!!!

Thanks for those memories Gail Royer and SCV.

Heh, actually the last time an SCV Corps did the Bottle Dance on finals night was in '02....Granted it was the Alumni Corps :P , but, it was still done.

And the fans went wild then too!

Edited by MsBusDriver

• 2 weeks later...
MAJOR staff change in 1992.  Much of the staff was fired!  One of them, in fact, went on that same year to work with the Cavaliers.  b**bs

Though not officially, 1992 was really the beginning of "the dark years".  :o  :rock:  Shhh...we do not speak his name.

there were alot of changes that year!

the staff was BD and Cavies guys. Drill guys were same. seems that i remember it as instead of playing for the crowds, the focus was to the judges and they werent giving us anything!!!

nothing was right with them, they were never happy with anything. all the different flags and color gaurd stuff they did in the begining of the season was all narrowed down to, if i remember right, 1!

difference in staff...here you go.

i started in baritone line. had to leave due to family issues, came back and my hole was filled. so there was a french spot open. now, i know i didnt play as good as the guys who have been on the horn for that year, but i was picking it up fast, and knew the parts within a few days.

then along comes a spider who had her own cider for the horn caption heads son who was an assistant. she couldnt march, and played about as good as i did on that horn. i was a nothing with 1 year and knew all the parts. who do you think got the spot??!! thats right. HER. :P

so i got a call 1 week before tour and was asked to fill a contra hole. i took it cause i wanted to play really bad. it took me less then a week to learn the parts, and about 1.5 weeks to learn all the drill. man, that contra wrecked my body up. still to this day!

anyhow, gail was pushing us to give them more. seemed confusing with the horn staff (which i thought was good otherwise) and just not being able to go anywhere with the judges.

the crossmen!!!! so close.... OMG>

Roman Blenski's favorite show.

Now THAT's funny.

Tom Shea

Knights 83-88

www.tomshea.blogspot.com

Here is the most interesting fact about 1992 Vanguard that most don't know unless they marched a west coast corps that year. Blue Knights, VK and Freelancers almost beat them on a few occasions in the late June/early july west coast run. So believe it or not, it actually got BETTER competitively as they went on in the year and HONESTLY...by the time Championship week hit...I think they were happy to just be in finals. I'm serious, the beginning of the season was not very friendly to SCV at all.

Not now hold on. There is more to the story. It gets weirder yet. During the off season, all the hype was that they had an all 1986 Blue Devils staff and were doing nostalgia on their aniversary year (just like Madison in 88) and people were saying they were going to win it all. Oddly enough, first show out the gate, they nipped Blue Devils (probably the result of judges listeing TOO MUCH to the hype). Then the very next show, they lost to them. Then the show after that, 5 points under them. Then it went to about 8 points and less than one point over Blue Knights, slightly more than one point over VK and about 2-3 over Freelancers and stayed like that for about 3 weeks.

Very dissapointing season for them but again, ended better than even they expected I think.