The DCI Yearlys: 1988

This is my review of 1988.

It started at 87 banquet parade when we realized that the battery was going to be the same people.

Forward ahead to the 1st may camp. We did a complete runthrough before memorial day. Only time it happened during my marching yrs.

Memoriial day camp was good with a huge party on memorial day night at the dorms. Final rehearsal at Camp Randall, move your sh$$ in and party. Good times!!!!

I then remember whitewater, 1st or 2nd weekend. i was in half uni when i walked by B coats bassline and the top bass for them raps with me about how he is dying to here malaguena. I was like ya but there is more to it!!! Tom and I met in 87 at Star's tryouts, we both failed miserably but we ended up where we wanted so it was all good. I think we won but I dont rememeber.

Next we stayed at Minnonk Illinois. I still cringe when I see that city. Had rough practice fields, plenty of cornfields for the d-line to march around and completely undrinkable water. I remember the Quik trip was drained of all the Gatorade because we had bought it all. Absolutly the worst h2o ever couldnt even shower as you smelt worse after than you did before. Also the Normal show was unforgettable as the judges tied us with PR. Of course it was cool as we played for each other and their DM was classy enough to wish us good luck over the PA.

Then i rememeber packing for Europe till 4 in the morning and then heading to o hare by 7a. Long ### flight and Johnny Banks was completely hammered Hillarious.

Short and sweet europe story.

Germany---rain daily and the climate was hot then cold, take the shirt off, put it back on repeat!!!! We did a runthrough and I slipped on the bass drum turn at the end of Malaguena and it looked like a yard sale with my glasses and set book and harness within a 15 foot radius. Mean while the rest of the corps is 20 yds away and I look like an idiot standin by my self. Hey come on it had just rained and we have all been there.

Holland--- we stay with families kind of cool. Huge crowds and Steve Weekes missed the boat to England. Pretty funny. MikeByrnes quoted " i havent been on a boat in Weekes" all frikin season

England---Very cool most memorable day was 4th of July in Hard Rock cafe. All americans celebrating. Pretty cool stuff.

If this is boring then I wont continue. if you want more i got more!!!!

Hey, 1988!!! ^OO^

The year I played "Pee Wee" during the Velvet Knights African drum solo! One of our corps staff (Dave Carico, I believe) got my bike stuck in 2nd gear somewhere during the middle of tour, so riding it in slow motion on a grass football field became a real challenge at times. :huh:

I remember when we beat Phantom Regiment somwhere in the West (Wyoming??). Our drum major, a transplant from Washington, got all giddy and started doing little jumps up and down. :rock:

We were definitely more spit and polished than the 1987 VK, and always got the crowd pleaser award anywhere it was given (Witchita, KS?? I think it was a water cooler :rock: ).

This was also the year they didn't announce scores after Quarterfinals or Semifinals. And although the crowd (and corps) hated it, I think it lead to the rise of the Madison Scouts that year.

Announcer: In 3rd place, with a score of 96.3, nine-six point three....the Blue Devils!

My head: NO ####### WAY!!!!

Announcer: In 2nd place, with a score of 96.9, nine-six point nine....the Santa Clara Vanguard!

That's the last thing I remember...the rest of the night is all fuzzy and blank.

That about sums up my own recollection of Finals night as well LOL

That about sums up my own recollection of Finals night as well LOL

I think everyone was pretty flummoxed that evening. That night, after I had aged out the previous day, I ended up sitting, for scores, with Rosalie Sward, the woman who had brought me to Geneseo and the Knights to begin with. (The previous day, the "Finals" edition of Drum Corps World had printed a profile she had done on me for the folks who stuck with the small corps instead of moving on, so we were all feeling pretty heady.) Then Garfield got announced in fifth, etc., and then the place went up. I went to the pay phones and called my Dad at home, and he couldn't believe it. As I was talking to him they announced the Semi scores, which wigged everyone out that much more.

That was the culmination of a season in which the Knights accomplished more in a summer than any year except perhaps 1975. At Normal we scored a 29, and our drill instructors told us the judges had no idea what we were trying to do since our drill was written for 40 horns and we had, I think, 22 at that time. Little by little, with trust and patience (and sweat because God it was hot all summer) we climbed back into things. Setback at DeKalb, but we were right where we should have been at our first DCI show in Ankeny. Thank Christ. After that it was smooth sailing all the way.

As most corps folks know, your fiercest rivals on the field are often your closest friends off, and for the Knights and the Glassmen this was the case in 88. We toured together prior to DeKalb and stayed together often, and finally the staffs let us party together, and we got to know them and vice versa. (We also traded victories with them and Emerald Knights on a DCM swing through Wisconsin and Minnesota one long weekend.) Interesting how the trajectories of each corps varied after that year...

1988. My age-out year. Making a video, dressed like Elvis (the Bluecoat DMs, Scott Wintrip and Chip Kolesar, gave me that one after they saw my new and all-white second tour uniform. Clambake, clambake...). My favorite memory of all, though, was Cavies 2nd tour show at Maine East, near my hometown of Evanston, IL. It was the only time my parents got to see us all year, and I was able to dedicate the show to them from the podium, and then watched the Blue Devils (Best. Hornline. Ever.), Bluecoats (72 snares), and Cavies (opening flag ripple--whiplash)from the top row near the 50, quietly calling out the hot moves in each show. Some things you never forget.

Am I babbling? Thousands more memories, but you came here to drink, not to listen to me run off at the mouth.

Tom Shea

Knights 83-88

www.tomshea.blogspot.com