Corps. you loved to hate

I always thought beating "everyone" meant winning Nationals  :P

Never really "hated" a Corps. Just determined to prove that we were as good as those that had been "established" for decades.  When we finally beat "everyone" for the first time in '70, it meant we had finally arrived into the "Big Boy" club.

Yea, I was taught that we could only beat ourselves, than of course I kinda stumbled into a good deal, too. And all you SCV people who dreamed of beating BD - wow. It used to be the other way around.

Edited by Tansea

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VK and Sky Riders. Mostly VK!

In 83 it was the Cavaliers.

In 84 it was Valley Fever and Boston.

In 85 it was Boston, Florida Wave and Avant Garde.

In 86 it was the Crossmen and the Colts.

In 87 it was the Canadian Knights.

In 88 it was the Glassmen.

Interesting downward trajectory, eh?

I personally loathed and wanted to beat the Marauders every year from 86 to 88, but they were never quite our competition.

Tom Shea

Knights 83-88

www.tomshea.blogspot.com

Edited by tommytimp

At 2003 Magic it was most definetely Spirit.

They were creaming us all season until about the halfway point where we finally beat them and kept it up until finals. Funny thing about the first show we beat them: It was in South Dakota, and it was a tiny stadium that they sold out twice over, so they decided to have two differant shows and both of them would be judged. First show of the day we lost to them. Since our food truck was gone for a month, Spirit fed us dinner that night. And then after that wonderful Spirit dinner we beat them for the first time. So from then on we had a joke that if we ate your food, you'd lose to us (well until Cavaliers fed us, that is). Also the next day we shared a housing site with Spirit, and both corps went to Mt. Rushmore.

I'd guess the rivalry that year started because it seemed we had more shows with them than anyone else, it was almost like we had the exact same tour. So seeing them every night, and losing to them every night really fueled our fires.

I understand... especially after quarter finals that year  :sshh:

Can you believe it's been 7 years... wow...  :rock:

Oh yeah. I remember. You know.....Les Etoiles people owe me money. In 1998 I was on staff with Pioneer. And, like in many corps, there was a tradition for the staff to dress-up for the 'last performance'. I totaly forgot to pack a suit, so I went into a store and spend $150 on clothes. Put it on the truck.....the night before Quarters I asked fellow staff what to do. "Nah, don't dress up, we'll do that for fridaynight". OK. So here we are. Quarters, we have a stellar performance, untill our and Les Etoiles scores was announced. I was devastated....but my first thought was......I bought a suit, dragged it along all summer.....and now this ?

I guess you guys marched around 80 people that summer, so you owe me $1,88.

:P

Optimists. For me it was more personal because my brother joined Optimists the same year I went to Oaklands. They made finals and all we got was close enough to the drum trophy to catch our reflections.

However, when I was in Buccaneers (marching, then teaching) it was Dutchboy. Beat them in the States - always lose to them in Ontario.

Regards,

John Swartz

Oaklands 77 - 80

Optimists 04 - ?

John, also Golden Garrison. I don't remember ever beating them, but they did make me want to beat them...in any caption.

It's all good now right ? I don't really think that we in Pioneer were 'raised' to hate corps. We did love competition though !

Of course it's all good!

But an advise... Don't take for granted that a French-speaking corps does not understand English during retreats... B)

A few members of your corps were particularly rude at the first show we met that year where we got our ### spanked...

We did love competition too !