Corps. you loved to hate

Guardsmen. I used to like them because I dated a few members of the guard throughout those years but after they started getting better in the late 70's they started getting cocky as ####. Then, in 77 when they first beat us you thought they won DCI, The Super Bowl and the World Series all in one. It wasn't until then they started kicking me out of their practices (I was courting a particular guard member at the time) and in not a nice way.

Other guys in the corps had similar experiences and I can truly say we "hated" them at that time. Let's just say that in the early 80's when The Guardsmen fell on rough times there was no pity coming out of Rosemont. Now, I have to say, their hornline a freakin awesome in 79 & 80.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't until then they started kicking me out of their practices (I was courting a particular guard member at the time) and in not a nice way.

Can you find her in here, Mitch???

CCF00111605_00003.jpg

In 83 it was the Cavaliers.

In 84 it was Valley Fever and Boston.

In 85 it was Boston, Florida Wave and Avant Garde.

In 86 it was the Crossmen and the Colts.

In 87 it was the Canadian Knights.

In 88 it was the Glassmen.

Interesting downward trajectory, eh?

I personally loathed and wanted to beat the Marauders every year from 86 to 88, but they were never quite our competition.

Tom Shea

Knights 83-88

www.tomshea.blogspot.com

Let me round that out a little by adding Suncoast Sound in '82 (or was it '81?). Their drum line was beating ours consistently, but their book was much less challenging. They kinda came out of nowhere and were back and forth with us all year. I think they got the better of us most of the time (State Fair !!??!!!), and it was unnerving. I think there was also a little Cavies chasing going on in '82.

• 15 years later...

I spent 4 years marching with  2 corps.  In 1963 I joined the Malden Cavaliers in their first year of competition.  We competed in the Mayflower and Yankee circuits.  Unfortunately, after the 1964 year the Cavaliers broke up.  Many of us now former members got together and decided that if a corps would take us, we would go as a group.  The Immaculate Conception Reveries was that corps.  With the new members from Malden, the Reveries more than doubled in size.  I marched the 65 and 66 seasons before going in active duty with the Navy   And, yes I was in the corps when we "sat down" on the starting line at Roosevelt Stadium during the VFW Nationals finals.  That was the final straw for the Immaculate Conception Parish and they pulled the plug on the senior Reveries ( they kept the class "B or C" corps) after the1967 season.  If this didn't happen, there would have never been a 27th Lancers.  I had just returned from a med cruise and went over to George Bonfilio's house on the night he established the 27th.  I have a picture of George, Paul Scopa, Mary Fields and myself standing in front of a bed sheet with the words "Welcome 27th Lancers" printed on it....Ah yes, memories!!!!

Imperial Regiment (NY). I respected them but hated them. They had a really good drum line and would always beat ours although I think we were much closer in 1976. I always felt our horn line was better BUT the difference was....they had two brass instructors ALWAYS with them as we didn't.