Corps. you loved to hate

In 1958 Toronto Optimists and De La Salle "Oaklands" (my corps) both entered the drum corps scene for the first time. In 1958 and 1959 De La Salle came third at the nationals behind Optimists and Scout House. For the next nine years we came second. But for eleven years in a row the Optimists were Canadian Champions.

Obviously I aged out half way through this frustrating exercise but (while I now have to admit the Optimists were clearly very good) this still today drives me crazy!

It's quite amazing how many times Blue Devils have won DCI since it's inception (and the recent Cavaliers' success is truly admirable) but can you imagine for a moment how you would feel if Cavaliers were to now continue winning until 2015? Eleven years in a row? And then try to picture how Blue Devils would feel if they came second nine years in a row?

It's been 42 years since I aged out of junior and I'm almost over it. I figure in another 15 years or so it won't bother me at all.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it's got to be North Star in the late 70's early 80's. I was in Blue Stars and they kept edging us out. We played Sanchez, they played Sanchez. We'd go up a point, they'd go up a point. And they beat us playing Barbara Ann!!!!

Ba Ba Ba - Ba Ba Ba ARRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! :sshh:

But the chrome wall was pretty darn good. :worthy:

Yeah we beat the Squires too in 1970 at the Penn-York Championships. Next year they started the climb and after St Joe's and Yankees folded it was all them in NY.

Our rival was the Lakeview Shoreliners/Imperial Regiment. We heard things weren't going well for them in 1975 and then they merged with this smaller corps (71st Lancers) and became Imperial Regiment. We beat them a few times in 1976 but that was it. They had a very good drum line.

You know what I particularly disliked, corps that thought they were your rivals, but never really were, and never would be. Maybe they'd beat you at the first show, and I guess that would mean they were in the hunt the rest of the year...you know something like corps that at the end of the year are 3rd and 14th....or if thruout the rest of the season you are 15 points ahead, they they swear they're head to head rivals.

It's just not the same category....but I suppose it's all in the mind and that competitive spirit.

I'm going to abstain who I believe our "goal corps" was. If there even was one!

Edited by LancerFi

concord was always our target corps.  not only was there the local rivalry, but, back then, beating concord usually meant winning nationals!

I always thought beating "everyone" meant winning Nationals :P

Never really "hated" a Corps. Just determined to prove that we were as good as those that had been "established" for decades. When we finally beat "everyone" for the first time in '70, it meant we had finally arrived into the "Big Boy" club.

Edited by MsBusDriver

At 1st for me it was the Cardinals of Precious Blood. Then it became the Flying Dutchmen (our parent corps). Go figure, eh. Then we amalgamated and became The Northstar. Sorry if this is politically incorrect for the NYO but history is history...and history it is!!!

While in Velvet Knights: Troopers, Freelancers, Sky Ryders (and in 1988 we beat them all!)

While in Santa Clara Vanguard: Blue Devils (and in 1989 we did!)