Corps. you loved to hate

Wow, it looks like you guys weren't the only ones who Boston hated... :worthy: :P :huh:

When I marched we still weren't friendly with Boston, (and vice versa) but there weren't any "fights' like in the older days! (That I know of) b**bs I've heard all kinds of wild stories about the "love/hate" relationship between Boston and 27 on and off the field. :huh:

I don't hate them today though..odd how time makes you change.. :)

Although that narration in last years show brought back those feelings! b**bs

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I followed drum corps since 1960, my first year of marching was 1963 with "Gatesmen of South Boston". Members of Eastern Mass., Mayflower, and Yankee Circuits, there was one corps who we all disliked - ST ROCCO'S CADETS"! Believe me there was not love lost between these two corps. Even though we may only see each other 4 or 5 times a year. There was quite a bit of tension between the corps.

In 1965, when I joined "The Boston Crusaders", I soon found out that it was not SKEK who we disliked, but St. Mary's of Beverly. I'm sure everyone can remember the night at Everett Stadium, I won't go into it, but it was exciting.

As the years went on and St. Mary's faded into the sunset like so many other corps, the 27th Lancers emerged as the next "foe". During the late 60's and the early 70's there was no love lost between these two corps.

"Just thinking of the good old days"

CODI

• 1 month later...

There were three corps I can think of. The Gatesmen from South Boston, the Peabody Musketeers and the Portsmouth Golden Eagles. Looks like the Gatesmen folded in 1965, Peabody and Portsmouth in the early '70s. I wish they were still around though. :(

There were three corps I can think of.  The Gatesmen from South Boston, the Peabody Musketeers and the Portsmouth Golden Eagles.  Looks like the Gatesmen folded in 1965, Peabody and Portsmouth in the early '70s.  I wish they were still around though.  :(

I wasn't in New England in the 70's. Are we talking Peabody, MA, and Portsmouth, NH? It would be so cool if these towns still had corps.

I marched Regiment 86-90 so being in the midwest meant always wanting to take down Cavies and Scouts, but my last year, 1990, after barely losing to SCV in finals the year before we all wanted to beat them and we finally did finals week.

No offense meant to the fine 89 SCVers I have met on here, but we wanted blood LOL

I wasn't in New England in the 70's.  Are we talking Peabody, MA, and Portsmouth, NH?  It would be so cool if these towns still had corps.

Yes, it was Peabody MA (Musketeers) and Portsmouth NH (Golden Eagles). As far as I know, both corps folded in the '70s. :(

Most of my time marching was in the Madison Scouts Jr. Corps. The corps that comes to mind for me after all these years was the Windjammers out of Port Washington, WI. It seems like they always beat us by just “that” much. Man, I hated that.

In the Scouts I think the biggest rivals were the Kilts and Cavies because of proximity. Now, in my year with the Scouts (1975), I can honestly say that we wanted to crush everyone equally.

P.S. - While in the UW Marching Band I think we were always out to show up (and did) Michigan and Ohio State. :worthy:

When I marched in BD, our motto was, "Beat the Blue Devils" - our target was always to better last year's corps.

Was always nice to beat Phanton, though.

When I marched in BD, our motto was, "Beat the Blue Devils" - our target was always to better last year's corps.

Was always nice to beat Phanton, though.

Word.

I would also have to add SCV (yea I know, but it was all about competition back then :P ) to the list of corps I had to hate. :)

Most of my time marching was in the Madison Scouts Jr. Corps.  The corps that comes to mind for me after all these years was the Windjammers out of Port Washington, WI.  It seems like they always beat us by just “that” much.  Man, I hated that.

In the Scouts I think the biggest rivals were the Kilts and Cavies because of proximity.  Now, in my year with the Scouts (1975), I can honestly say that we wanted to crush everyone equally.

P.S. - While in the UW Marching Band I think we were always out to show up (and did) Michigan and Ohio State. :worthy:

UH-Excuse me but,

It's impossible to "show up" "TBDBITL!!! :P

osu-logo-800.jpg