SHOCKWAVE

The Blast video is pretty good. Is there a Shockwave video out yet?

I got the chance to see Shockwave - Blast II in Pittsburgh, PA right after christmas. I was told that they are going to Montana in the near future to record, I am not sure if it is just for a CD or video. I would suggest that you buy the DVD of Blast. It has a lot of behind the scenes stuff you will find very informative.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay.. I just got home from seeing Shockwave at the Paramount theatre in Aurora.

I was really excited about going and looking forward to seeing what the show was and how it was done..

It took a little longer for me to get "into" it than I hoped.. but by the end of the show, I could see that there was actually a sort of "story" going on.. there was a "plot" .. a really loose one, but a plot, nonetheless.

The performers are PHENOMENAL. The clarinet soloist is devastatingly good and everything she does is just effortless. There is (as can be expected) a very healthy dose of woodwind features in Shockwave. The percussion contingent is not as large as the original Blast! production -- but that could be because they rely on a good deal of electronic instrumentation and it takes fewer members to get the same volume. There were times when the synthetic music overpowered the acoustic performers.. and a few times where I thought an acoustic instrument might have been better utilized than the electronic counterpart they decided upon (the "drum drum drum" feature comes to mind) and other times where the electronic balance was a little lopsided (the beginning of the Carmina Burana section is what leaps to the front of my brain on this one -- you couldn't hear the whole cast singing over ONE guy playing an electronic keyboard)

The baton girl is really fantastic.. she does a couple of features that are just drop your jaw beautiful (who'd have ever thunk I'd refer to a baton feature as "beautiful").. the whole cast is just amazing.. so talented.. I did notice though that they don't interact onstage with the crowd as much as the blast kids did.. but maybe that will change as they become more and more comfortable..

There was a little bit of marching... but not nearly as much as you may have been expecting.. most of the pieces are done with choreography, not necessarily marching.. which isn't a bad thing in general.. but there is little "form" to the "function" -- lots of jumping (??) and hopping.

Surprisingly, my favorite piece was "Uninvited" and yes, it is the Alannis Morrisette piece.. it was staged sort of.. well.. with a kind of middle eastern flair.. lots of sheer fabric everywhere.. like mosquito nets.. and the arrangements were gorgeous.. mostly flute and clarinets.. and it was really.. ethereal. I liked it a lot (could have lived without the cloaks though)..

Other than that, I really just enjoyed the evening. Ran into some friends who we then had dinner with.. wouldn't have traded the evening for anything..

I will say this: Blast! I will see again and again. Once was enough for Shockwave, IMO.

oh.. and Sluggo? Will you hold my finger? :rolleyes:

Edited by ScribeToo

:o :lee: :rolleyes: :sos:

• 2 months later...
Thought this was for drum corps reviews......guess I was wrong. 

So, when I go  see the movie The Secretary, can I review it here?

Umm......brother, the topic is "Show and Event Reviews" under the DCP Activity RELATED Discussion Forums.

Don't be such a hater.

:)

Edited by WoobieATL

yup, finished on April 6th.

dunno.........