Toledo All Star Review (long and detailed)

....what's with the white uniforms? Are these the same as last year's "off-white", ecru, diagonal Glassmen or another new set?

These are modifications of last years uniforms. Same basic uni with a different "sash." No gold, replaced by the b&w triangle pattern. I liked last years but this years looks good too.

Steve

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tad,

Do you think Bluecoats can/will beat Cadets this year?  If so, at finals, or only during the middle of the season?

Sure, it's possible... especially when Cadets put the closer on the field. In August? I'd bet on Jersey (or whereverthehell they come from this week). Cadets and Bluecoats aren't even close regarding design, but right now, Coats have superior feet and chops... but Canton's drill (cleaner) has so much less composition (5 points out of 100), and the guard cannot possibly compete (10 points). Look back to 1988: Cadets were out with a rather flat Copland Symphony; 'Coats were fresh off their first top 12 showing. In June, 'Coats snuck up close (I think within 2 points).. so Cadets mysteriously cancelled a show (any 'Coat will tell you Cadets feared losing to them). By the end of the year, it was Bluecoats in 11th w/ 86.7 while Cadets placed 4th w/ 96.1.

Cadets are "80's dirty" right now (not necessarily a bad thing). In two of their very best shows, '85 and '87, they played *major* catchup (to SCV). The more I think about what I saw (two days ago), the more I like it. Cadets nipped Cavies last year in June... no comparison between the two at Finals, right?

Thankfully, I'm excited to see more corps, so I'm planning trips to Louisville and Indy. Yippee! Oh... Glassmen will be there. zzz B)

You are right, there is some Wind and the Lion along with a lot of other pieces that you need to focus to pick up on.  The combination is interesting to say the least but should work.  :)

Regards,

Steve

I am glad that my ears were not deceiving me. It was driving me crazy since none of the quotes really lasted long enough to get a firm grasp on what was being played and no one else around me was picking up on the Wind and the Lion theme.

Sure, it's possible... especially when Cadets put the closer on the field. In August? I'd bet on Jersey (or whereverthehell they come from this week). Cadets and Bluecoats aren't even close regarding design, but right now, Coats have superior feet and chops... but Canton's drill (cleaner) has so much less composition (5 points out of 100), and the guard cannot possibly compete (10 points).  Look back to 1988: Cadets were out with a rather flat Copland Symphony; 'Coats were fresh off their first top 12 showing. In June, 'Coats snuck up close (I think within 2 points).. so Cadets mysteriously cancelled a show (any 'Coat will tell you Cadets feared losing to them). By the end of the year, it was Bluecoats in 11th w/ 86.7 while Cadets placed 4th w/ 96.1.

I, like you, am curious to see what happens to the spreads once Cadets get their product on the field (when will that be exactly?). However, what most seem to be missing (in discussions with others) is that the Bluecoats themselves are FAR from having their show on the field. The best musical section of the show (Ombra) is about 1/3 complete (both from a musical and choregraphic standpoint). The 'Coats are beating people in effect and music right now. They will catch up in the color guard caption (that's the caption that makes me scream every time I look at recaps) and visual when the contrast of the show is evident. As for demand, lets leave this discussion for a later date (fast tempos and loud volume does not equal high demand and I'll leave it at that).

DW

I love how people always will find ways to argue how the corps that always beat the corps that they do will pull away just like they did in 1988 (1 years ago).  We will just have to wait and see what happens this year :-)

Mark

Mark, you left out the 7 in 17 years ago. Nice point though!!!!!!!!

Think, we were both 5-6 years old at the start of that season.

I, like you, am curious to see what happens to the spreads once Cadets get their product on the field (when will that be exactly?).  However, what most seem to be missing (in discussions with others) is that the Bluecoats themselves are FAR from having their show on the field.  The best musical section of the show (Ombra) is about 1/3 complete (both from a musical and choregraphic standpoint).  The 'Coats are beating people in effect and music right now.  They will catch up in the color guard caption (that's the caption that makes me scream every time I look at recaps) and visual when the contrast of the show is evident.  As for demand, lets leave this discussion for a later date (fast tempos and loud volume does not equal high demand and I'll leave it at that).

DW

Fast tempi DO have a higher degree of demand. One of Cadets' problems over the last four years has been less demand.--they were the pioneers of field coverage and extreme speed 20 years ago-- 2001-2004 were slower and less spread out than their average.

And I'll bet ya a shiny new quarter that 'Coats' guard will NOT catch up. B)

I love how people always will find ways to argue how the corps that always beat the corps that they do will pull away just like they did in 1988 (1 years ago).  We will just have to wait and see what happens this year :-)

Mark

Well, to those of us who were cognitively attending shows 17 years ago, the buzz was that since the Coats were SOOO close to Garfield (oops.. Cadets to youse tots), it was "all over!" Garfield was out of the top 5 and the Coats were in!

I'm not saying it's impossible this year; we've seen Corps B top Corps A to some amazement/excitement in the past... turns out to be just temporary. e.g. Garfield beating SCV in 1982--first time ever, i think--and almost 1½ points down at Finals. Star nipping Phantom in '89 (no comparison in THOSE shows).

The real question might be: since Cadets are about one month behind Cavies at this point-- and are only about 2 points down-- who comes out on top in 2 months?

Fast tempi DO have a higher degree of demand. One of Cadets' problems over the last four years has been less demand.--they were the pioneers of field coverage and extreme speed 20 years ago-- 2001-2004 were slower and less spread out than their average.

And I'll bet ya a shiny new quarter that 'Coats' guard will NOT catch up.  B)

Fast tempi DO NOT ALWAYS equal higher demand....I'll play whole notes in the mid register of my baritone, marcato articulations, at 250 bpm.

You play 32nd note runs on your trumpet at a tempo of 120, with the tessitura hanging around a double G.

See my point? I wasn't referring to the any on particular show, so don't get all up in arms. Demand does not equal quality. It just means the design of the show is difficult. Execution is something totally different.

Well, to those of us who were cognitively attending shows 17 years ago, the buzz was that since the Coats were SOOO close to Garfield (oops.. Cadets to youse tots), it was "all over!" Garfield was out of the top 5 and the Coats were in!

I'm not saying it's impossible this year; we've seen Corps B top Corps A to some amazement/excitement in the past... turns out to be just temporary. e.g. Garfield beating SCV in 1982--first time ever, i think--and almost 1½ points down at Finals. Star nipping Phantom in '89 (no comparison in THOSE shows).

The real question might be: since Cadets are about one month behind Cavies at this point-- and are only about 2 points down-- who comes out on top in 2 months?

I was around 17 years ago and there wasn't a buzz about the 'Coats cracking into the top 5. The DC community was kind of up in arms that the scrappy bunch from Canton was topping some perennial powers, but there wasn't much discussion about that corps cracking the top 5. That show was designed to finish pretty close to where it did and I think everyone knew that.

Now, fast forward to 2005 Uncle Rico. Has anyone that HAS SEEN THE SHOW, think it's not designed to finish in the top 5? If not the top 3? It could end up finishing 7th or 8th (that's where execution comes into play and how other corps perform as well), but it has the design to finish in the top 5, unlike 1988.

Case closed. When is cocktail hour?

DW