Toledo All Star Review (long and detailed)

What the Bluecoats and Cadets are doing really isn't the same thing.  I can see how you could come to that conclusion though.

DW

I'll reserve final judgent until I see the show.

While I'm disappointed that the Bluecoats are using amps, I'm very happy you are not amping the keyboards.

IMO that is the biggest mistake the corps are making. To me the tone quality suffers greatly. They also sound LESS musical because the amps make everything the same basic dynamic. Much of the musicianship of the hard working and talented members is lost or decreased.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Southwind (My score:  57.5, actual score: 53.8):  Ludwig drums.  Did they use those last year?  They weren't bad sounding, just haven't seen too many corps using Ludwig in awhile. 

Ludwig is making a fairly major jump to get back into the drum Corps business. Back in the "good old days they were a standard but faded over the years. SW and Magic (I think) have contracts with them to help them rebuild their program. I've always been a big Ludwig fan so I was realy pleased to see this.

Regards,

Steve

Southwind - . . . . .I swear that I was hearing little snippets of Wind and the Lion mixed into the Imagination theme!. . . . .

You are right, there is some Wind and the Lion along with a lot of other pieces that you need to focus to pick up on. The combination is interesting to say the least but should work. :)

Regards,

Steve

Hey Tad,

Do you think Bluecoats can/will beat Cadets this year? If so, at finals, or only during the middle of the season?

As someone who used to go GAGA at the knees over the Cadets, I have to say this: they're in for a rude awakening this year... they could very well fall from grace (ala top 5... or more).

The two corps that absolutely make no impression on me did so tonight: Cavies are incredible in that they know how to flawlessly meld DESIGN, PERFORMANCE and a great sense of FUN (Showmanship) into this show (which is a first or second placer in August).

But... the real winner tonight (my God, I cannot believe i'm saying this): Bluecoats. Wowie, what a show.. and the best ending in their HISTORY!!!!!!!!

Ludwig is making a fairly major jump to get back into the drum Corps business.  Back in the "good old days they were a standard but faded over the years.  SW and Magic (I think) have contracts with them to help them rebuild their program.  I've always been a big Ludwig fan so I was realy pleased to see this.

Regards,

Steve

I was quite impressed with them when I visited April camp. (had to really resist the temptation to embarass myself by asking one of the kids to let me try one). Since Mike, et al are on the road, what's with the white uniforms? Are these the same as last year's "off-white", ecru, diagonal Glassmen or another new set?

BTW, I'm re-living my youth through your kids until either my youngest daughter or oldest grand daughter is ready to take the plunge :worthy:

As someone who used to go GAGA at the knees over the Cadets, I have to say this: they're in for a rude awakening this year... they could very well fall from grace (ala top 5... or more).

That's ridiculous. What are they doing now that isn't classic Cadets? The music is the best they've put on the field since 2000, and from what I hear, the drill is up there too, and once they complete their show and perfect the musical and visual performances, I have serious, serious, doubts this show won't make it to the top three.

Thanks for the reviews everyone. They were a good read. A couple questions/comments:

- You mentioned that the Bluecoats, Cadets and Cavies all used amps. I really don't mind them, unless they are used with the human voice. Did any of these corps use them for singing/narration? If so, that's lame.

- You mentioned how the bluecoats scores seem disproportionately low to the Cavies and Cadets. It doesn't surprise me? Why is that always the case? It seems like drum corps has a top 4 or 5 corps, and it would take an absolute miracle for a corps like the Bluecoats, Crown, Glassmen, Boston, Crossmen, etc. to break into that top 4 or 5? Anybody have any thoughts?

That's ridiculous. What are they doing now that isn't classic Cadets? The music is the best they've put on the field since 2000, and from what I hear, the drill is up there too, and once they complete their show and perfect the musical and visual performances, I have serious, serious, doubts this show won't make it to the top three.

They are headed back in the right direction but at this point it is far from "classic" Cadets. Do I have any doubt they will get there. No. But their show, as it is right now, is a far cry from what it needs to be. And when you say that "you have heard" that the drill is up there. You should really wait till you see them with your own eyes to make that judgement. Refer back to my initial post if you care to see my thoughts from last night's show.