New Grand Finale

Of all of you who have been to a show this year what do you think of the new Grand Finale format? Personally I think it stinks. It was a great ending to the evening performances when all the performing corps came marching out to cheers from the crowd and the sounding rendition of America/O Canada by them all. I think that those of you who marched would agree that it is very emotional to perform and then to watch as an alumni. Any opinions?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all of you who have been to a show this year what do you think of the new Grand Finale format?  Personally I think it stinks.  It was a great ending to the evening performances when all the performing corps came marching out to cheers from the crowd and the sounding rendition of America/O Canada by them all.  I think that those of you who marched would agree that it is very emotional to perform and then to watch as an alumni.  Any opinions?

The Bad: The new format is not as cool. Nothing impressive about it and the members don't get to go through that process of mingling with the other corps while lining up and then all the tradition that each corps has during retreat.

The Good: All but two of the corps are able to get on the road at least an hour earlier than normal. More sleep and more practice time.

The Bad:  The new format is not as cool.  Nothing impressive about it and the members don't get to go through that process of mingling with the other corps while lining up and then all the tradition that each corps has during retreat.

The Good:  All but two of the corps are able to get on the road at least an hour earlier than normal.  More sleep and more practice time.

Addressing the "Bad" ... The fans at DARC were puzzled with the DM only finale. Minnesota Brass and Blue Knights played America/O Canada beautifully and BK did the encore which was politely applauded by the fans. It was a very good performance, don't get me wrong. BK ranks right up there as one of my favorite corps. But surveys we did for the Web and by snail mail asked for comments and several fans wrote that they missed the full retreat very much. To be honest, so did we.

The Good: For safety purposes, especially since many of the corps who left Menomonie were on their way to Sioux Falls, those folks had a very long drive ahead of them and being able to leave early was a bonus. I really have mixed feelings about this. I think this move might be best for the corps ... but the fans here really missed the full retreat. How can this be addressed? Seriously ... I don't want flame and I don't want to start an argument ... I want constructive ideas on how the show promoters, DCI and the corps can work together on this.

Descending from soap box ... and thanks for listening.

Edited by matye

The safety of the different corps are and should be the primary focus. Most all of the shows that I've seen out here on the west coast, and albeit , not that many, were drum majors and guard captain only.

I guess it's a matter of selfish wishes versus safety.

I hated retreat. Coming from the west coast and never having to deal with that until we crossed the Rockies... it was an eye opener to an efficient WASTE OF TIME.

Honestly, what was the point? It just added more stress and time to the evening when I could have been sleeping and already on my way to the next show site. Waiting around in uniform, standing FOREVER at attention on the field... it sucked. I understand trying to keep retreat for the sake of tradition. With drum corps changing more and more, resembling marching bands instead of the corps of old, tradition is something needed moreso now than at any other time in the activity, IMHO. But retreat was an outdated and antiquated ritual that really was not needed, at least not at the smaller shows. Sure, have retreat at the major regionals and of course championships but let the members sleep just a bit more and have a safer trip from the smaller venues.

Just my $.02

Most all of the shows that I've seen out here on the west coast, and albeit , not that many, were drum majors and guard captain only. 

I guess it's a matter of selfish wishes versus safety.

We've only done one full retreat in the last four years at the shows we've been at out here. So I guess the 'new' format out here adds a closing performance to what was otherwise just a drum major retreat usually follwed by an encore from the winner and/or host corps. Fever and SCV Cadets played America at the Modesto show. It was a nice idea I guess, but it does take up time to get them lined up and in place. I guess I'd rather just see the DM retreat followed by an encore, like most shows did before now.

I hated retreat. 

:worthy:

Me too. My favorite nights were the ones where I did "equpitment". Part of the guard did retreat, part of the guard got to change early, roll flags and get them on the truck. The only nights I liked retreat were during finals. I remember nights where we were swarmed on the field by mostquitos and many other little winged things. Some nights it was cold, other nights it was crazy hot. I just didn't really care for it.

I left DARC '05 early this year for the fact that the Scouts were not playing the encore performance. I liked full retreat, but I agree with the reasoning behind eliminating it. However, most people come to see the top corps perform. If they win the show, they should absolutly do the encore performance or no one should at all.

Just my opinion....

Here in the No.Cal we haven't seen a full retreat in 5-6 years, drum majors and guard captains only, so the change has pretty much no effect out here other than we get to hear two corps combined play America/O'Canada. In Modesto, after SCV Cadets and Fever combined, Fever played an encore of their show being as it was their home contest. I guess we out here don't miss what we never had.