New Grand Finale

I also understand the reasoning behind the new retreat. However, I think it's a bad move all around. Mostly for the sake of the audiences and the cameraderie of the activity. I've been in countless shows on the field and I can complain about retreats with the best of them. But it is also important that the corps stand together in unity and the spectacle of 6 to 12 corps on the field at once is mesmerizing from the stands. I've also been in countless shows in the stands and I can assure you that audience newcomers to the activity are generally blown away by a full retreat. That is another factor that causes them to come back.

Eliminating full retreats, from the perspective of a theatrical production design standpoint, makes the whole contest end somewhat underwhelmingly. I've also noticed far more people leaving the stands after the final corps performs and not staying for finale. Why should they when they can get the scores online in a matter of minutes? This is especially true in shows where it's pretty obvious who is going to win. "Yup, Mable, we seen the show. Nice. Let's go home and watch 'Friends'."

For those of you who think it's a waste of time as a performer, that is one of the most selfish statements you can make. And the audience can sense this.

Yes, a few corps can get on the road earlier, but the reasons for doing so are not about safety. The bus and equipment drivers should have had plenty of rest prior to taking any corps on the road - if not, then the corps should re-think their daily schedules. And if competition is so fierce between the corps that they must squeeze out every last second of rehearsal time to get ahead then why not eliminate everything but the show performance itself? Why not show up minutes before a show, play your gig and blow Dodge immediately? Why even try to connect with an audience? You are a DCI Touring Corps now. You don't need to hang around with the riff-raff.

No, the real reason is that DCI wants to maximize flexibility in scheduling, which is not a bad thing of course. But to do so at the expense of yet another unique feature of this activity further devolves the drum corps scene into just another "entertainment" for the masses. An "entertainment" conveniently broken down into 11-minute sound bites. And if I can be just as entertained in an air-conditioned movie theatre then I'll opt for that over a night full of mosquitoes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me folks... I never went on tour.

How is it the corps can hit the road quicker when you have to wait for the DM's before you can leave? Is it more an equipment issue than a personnel one?

I learned from all the responses that west of the Rockies didn't see a full retreat except at the Championships. I did understand the safety and getting extra sleep is a good thing for the kids. Having a full retreat however gave time for the family and friends time to see the participants, which I am sure at times was a welcoming sight but could also be a distraction when you are trying to leave for the next show. I hope DCI decides to keep the full retreat at the regional shows and can live with not having them at the smaller shows. I never marched but was a parent of guard person and can appreciate the love/hate feelings of the full retreat at every show.

Addressing the "Bad" ... The fans at DARC were puzzled with the DM only finale.  Minnesota Brass and Blue Knights played America/O Canada beautifully and BK did the encore which was politely applauded by the fans.  It was a very good performance, don't get me wrong.  BK ranks right up there as one of my favorite corps.  But surveys we did for the Web and by snail mail asked for comments and several fans wrote that they missed the full retreat very much.  To be honest, so did we.

The Good:  For safety purposes, especially since many of the corps who left Menomonie were on their way to Sioux Falls, those folks had a very long drive ahead of them and being able to leave early was a bonus.  I really have mixed feelings about this.  I think this move might be best for the corps ... but the fans here really missed the full retreat.  How can this be addressed?  Seriously ... I don't want flame and I don't want to start an argument ... I want constructive ideas on how the show promoters, DCI and the corps can work together on this.

Descending from soap box ... and thanks for listening.

If DCI were truly interested in getting corps on the road as soon as possible, then perhaps they should tighten up those insanely long intermissions! At Toledo, they didn't even move the schedule up because of Marion going inactive: thus, the 7:30 "show" actually started at 7:50. Twenty minutes lost. Then, after only two corps, we had to endure a FORTY-FIVE MINUTE intermission. (In the first place, it's hardly an intermission at all when it occurs only 30 minutes after the start of the show! And secondly, 15-20 minutes is PLENTY.)

There's your hour you're looking to make up.

I know, I know, programs were already printed by the time MGC went inactive, so the printed schedule would have had to be changed. But how many of us really buy a program for these sorts of things? And there IS a PA announcer, so why can't changes be made known to the audience at show time? After all, it seems the predominant goal is to get the corps back on the road asap, so stop wasting EVERYONE'S time with things like this!

(Not to mention the grand finale lineup snafu at Toledo ... how embarassing :worthy:).

Mike in OH

If DCI were truly interested in getting corps on the road as soon as possible, then perhaps they should tighten up those insanely long intermissions!  At Toledo, they didn't even move the schedule up because of Marion going inactive: thus, the 7:30 "show" actually started at 7:50.  Twenty minutes lost.  Then, after only two corps, we had to endure a FORTY-FIVE MINUTE intermission.  (In the first place, it's hardly an intermission at all when it occurs only 30 minutes after the start of the show!  And secondly, 15-20 minutes is PLENTY.)

There's your hour you're looking to make up.

I know, I know, programs were already printed by the time MGC went inactive, so the printed schedule would have had to be changed.  But how many of us really buy a program for these sorts of things?  And there IS a PA announcer, so why can't changes be made known to the audience at show time?  After all, it seems the predominant goal is to get the corps back on the road asap, so stop wasting EVERYONE'S time with things like this!

(Not to mention the grand finale lineup snafu at Toledo ... how embarassing :worthy:).

Mike in OH

Maybe they didn't change the schedule because all the other corps already had THEIR rehersal and travel schedules planned for the day?

From my very first show decades ago, retreat with all its pagentry was one of the reasons I fell in love with drum corps.

When I attend my first show next week I know I will miss it.

I understand the reasons also, but believe that DCI really needs to address the tour schedule so corps do not have to travel so far every night. Maybe only a big distance once a week.

I find it very interesting that they kept saying how much this would help those lower tier corps that go on first and need the rehearsal time (which I know they do).

But now that there's no retreat, the top corps are going on in the middle of the show, with second tier corps going on last. So again the top coprs are making sure they benefit the most by this. <**>

But now that there's no retreat, the top corps are going on in the middle of the show, with second tier corps going on last. So again the top coprs are making sure they benefit the most by this.  <**>

Um, how does taking retreat out change the order of performance? :worthy:

Um, how does taking retreat out change the order of performance?  :worthy:

According to the reviews, this was the performance order.

Toledo:

1. Southwind

2. Cap Reg

3. Cavaliers

4. Cadets

5. Bluecoats

6. Glassmen

Indiana:

1. Memphis Sound

2. Glassmen

3. Cadets

4. Cap Reg

5. Bluecoats

Up until this year Cavaliers and Cadets would have gone on last (except for show hosts).

Edited by shawn craig

I have to agree about the intermissions.

They need to sell T shirts, I understand.

The show sponsor needs to sell concessions.

But really 2 or 3 corps, a 45 minute intermission, then 3 more corps, then no retreat.

It really makes a for a lot of waiting!!!

Last year, those intermissions just seemed to take all the excitement and momentum out of the show. It was just hurry up and wait.

Can't they at least be shortened???

I still think if there are 6 or less corps in a show, there should be no intermission.

Edited by shawn craig

Let's see: We now pay more money for our tickets, but we miss the wonderful pageantry of the grand finale, miss the opportunity to mingle with the touring members (our children, friends, staff, etc.) in the corps' parking lot, and we now must face the added distraction and danger of large trucks and buses making an early exit while fans pick their way through the dark to their cars! The only thing that hasn't changed -- YET -- is the traffic jam as we exit the stadium area. <**>

That may change too if fewer fans show up next year! :(

Then we can write about the "former" drum corps activity and complain about what caused its demise.

:(